IT.COM

advice Finding My Feet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Furn25

Impact
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to domaining and I'm trying to find my feet. I have to say that the discussions on here are very useful.

I have a number of domain names which I have registered, some of which I think may hold decent value (although I have no actual basis for that belief), while others made me kick myself seconds after registering because I just know they were stupid buys.

I have a lot of questions but I suppose the main thing I'm struggling with is trying to sift out the value in my list of names. I've come to realise that the price suggestion tool on Sedo may not be the most reliable guide? maybe I'm wrong. Also, Estibot and Domainindex are kicking all sorts of figures at me. I won't list the names that I think are good on this thread unless someone wants me to (as thats probably more appropriate for the appraisal forum?). But anyway, I've been going back and forth setting 'buy now' prices only to go back a few hours later and change it back to 'make an offer' because I don't want to sell a potentially valuable name for buttons. Is experience the only answer to this or are there any shortcuts or indicators I should look out for?

Another thing I'm struggling with is how to create exposure for my domain names - should I spend the money to put them into a promoted auction or is patience the order of the day here? Is it worth approaching businesses directly to either buy or rent the domain? and even on this topic surely renting the domain would involve complex contractual agreements and all the rest of it?

Anyway I feel like I'm putting too many questions in one post although I do have many more.

Any advice to get me going would really be appreciated!

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am also fairly new so I haven't figured out everything yet, but I have learnt the following things:
  • BIN prices are better than make offer. You will get more sales that way (if the BIN is realistic). Don't be scared to undersell, as we probably value our own domains higher than others would most of the time :). If you set a BIN, you should be happy with the money if the domain would be sold. If it gets sold later for more, tough luck but who's to say you would have pulled that off? Just remember that you set the price because you were happy with that price
  • If there are a few obvious end users (ie if you have newyorkdentist.com and a dentist has the domain newyork-dentist.com), I would always reach out. Many businesses do not think of looking for better domains, so just give them a heads up. DOn't spam and stay polite. If they are not interested, respect that and move on.
  • I would not spend money on promoted auctions until you are experienced. At that point, you know what should sell and for what price range, making it easier to decide if the cost is worth it.
  • Don't fight over small amounts. If you have a domain listed for $750 and a possible buyer offers $600, that is a reasonable offer. Take it seriously and don't always try to get a higher price unless you really think the domain is worth more. Obviously, the buyer might have potentially paid more, but the buyer could also walk away. In the beginning, it is all about making sales. The amount is obviously important, but the experience is invaluable. And don't forget that you can reinvest money you receive directly. If you are locked in a price negotiation for 2 weeks, you could have spent that 2 weeks selling another domain too.

The above is what I have learnt. Obviously, others might disagree. Overall, I am doing this part time, as a hobby that now and then generates extra income but no shocking amounts. The pros here will have more experience and wisdom here for you. Depending on your situation and vision, the above might be helpful.

•••
Anyway I feel like I'm putting too many questions in one post although I do have many more.

Any advice to get me going would really be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi

Tip #63:

learn how to use the forum's "search feature"

as many of your questions, probably have been asked before.

Good Luck!

•••
I'd post your good one(s) then people can advise if its worth marketing them etc.

Generally speaking I believe if a domain is good, it will sell itself. No need for expensive upgraded premium auctions etc. Me personally, I'd rather spend that money on getting visitors to your standard auctions (fb ads google ads etc)

And its always worth approaching businesses (correctly - ie not spamming them, but highlighting they are a targeted customer, if not interested, then sorry for bothering them and they wont hear from you again etc).

All the best :)

•••
Thanks for the responses so far!

Yeh, a few of my names:

FillThat
LeakThat
DormantDomain
VintageWineList
FrackingExpert
Rhibs - (A common type of boat)
F1Lap
Alcoholco

(all in dot com)

See any potential?

•••
FillThat
LeakThat
DormantDomain
VintageWineList
FrackingExpert
Rhibs - (A common type of boat)
F1Lap
Alcoholco

(all in dot com)

See any potential?

Do yourself a favor and stop buying names until you learn what is valuable.

Study first and learn more before you lose a fortune.

Just trying to help

•••
Do yourself a favor and stop buying names until you learn what is valuable.

Study first and learn more before you lose a fortune.

Just trying to help

That's disappointing to hear but I appreciate your opinion and advice.

I don't have many more than those listed above and only paid the basic reg fee but the advice is certainly noted.

Thanks again.

•••
Hi

Tip #63:

learn how to use the forum's "search feature"

as many of your questions, probably have been asked before.

Good Luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back