Domain Empire

Fighting back against a Trademark bully!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
www.floridaweekly.com

Hello everybody,

It has been a while since I’ve posted here. I wish this could have been under better circumstances but this is a moment where we are reaching out to everyone.

We are in a fight with a Trademark bully. This bully is a newspaper company which bought similar domain names to ours when they launched their publication this April; more than two years after we had launched the same idea. They also filed for a state Trademark this year on the merely descriptive name combination, which requires secondary meaning, and now they are trying to use that to bully us out of our legitimate rights and business.

It was a simple choice; back down and give in or take on the financial burden and fight back. We chose the latter and filed against them! We are asking everyone to visit Florida Weekly , read the article about the case, and download the case files we have posted there. They will provide you with a more in depth look at the case. The burden of proof is on our side and as this case unfolds it will shed light on Trademark bullies trying to pull the wool over the system that was meant to protect all of us.

Update 08/19/07:

Please, while you are there check out our support page. We will be posting some of our domains for sale there as well as offer advertising in an effort to give you an opportunity to help.

Thank you everyone.

Ken

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
jberryhill said:
Just out of curiousity, what are the "best guesses" as to what happened? We'll never know, but I'd like to know what people see in this sequence of events.

MY best guess would be he got middle $$$ but paid out over $$$$ in attorney fees.

And I'll ask a subsidiary question there... What do you think is the primary reason why an attorney would petition to withdraw from representing a client?

The client would not listen to reasoning from their own attorney, and the attorney could not provide the proper course of action because of the limitations or illogical thought process from the client.

•••
And I'll ask a subsidiary question there... What do you think is the primary reason why an attorney would petition to withdraw from representing a client?

Philip may be right, but of the several reasons attorneys may withdraw (as opposed to must withdraw), I'd guess either a client's failure to pay attorney fees or a client's unethical, fraudulent or criminal activity.

•••
Best guess..

I think he did get $x,xxx..probably enough to make some profit but substantially less had he settled this earlier before legal fees. I think he was dropped by his attorney because he couldn't pay them. Lawyers from my experience will work as long as they can get paid...being right or able to win is meaningless.

Floriday Weekly probably decided that even giving out a few grand was better than their own continued court costs and delays. If they paid more than $5k I would be shocked.

As everyone else thinks though...this was sincerely a disaster for Semoran.

btw... http://floridaweekly.com/

I am always personally satisfied when the domain goes to an actual end-user. And once again...this is why domainers should fear the Snowe Bill because it would seriously prevent BS like Semoran.

Domainers...if you want to keep your domains. Start using them.

•••
Yeah, the whole story just leaves a bad taste in my mouth - so to speak. The Florida Media Group seemed a little sneaky trying to play the just registered trademark. Too bad there wasn't a way for both of them to lose.

•••
MyNet-Tony said:
Yeah, the whole story just leaves a bad taste in my mouth - so to speak. The Florida Media Group seemed a little sneaky trying to play the just registered trademark. Too bad there wasn't a way for both of them to lose.

Tony....if you read the whole thread you are in the wrong IMO.....i jumped to conclusions at the early stage too....and watching it made me change my mind....there was no "stand" for semora to win...period.../but it was-is fun to still read this thread :)...oh and btw, i learned alot.....

Cheers,

Frank

•••
MyNet-Tony said:

As Frank pointed out, you have to read the whole thread to completely understand it and put the emphisis what the domain owner said and did. People can say anything they want, but if it is not supported or if actions shows something other than what is being said, doubts will have to cross your mind. Personally, I had big doubts about this one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back