Dynadot

domains FBI Seizes 48 domains that offered DDoS-for-Hire Services

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The FBI is now in the process of seizing the websites that allowed paying users to launch powerful distributed denial-of-service, or DDoS, attacks that flood targeted computers with information and prevent them from being able to access the internet. Booter services such as those named in this action allegedly attacked a wide array of victims in the United States and abroad, including educational institutions, government agencies, gaming platforms and millions of individuals. In addition to affecting targeted victims, these attacks can significantly degrade internet services and can completely disrupt internet connections.

The websites targeted in this operation were used to launch millions of actual or attempted DDoS attacks targeting victims worldwide. While some of these services claimed to offer “stresser” services that could purportedly be used for network testing, the FBI determined these claims to be a pretense, and “thousands of communications between booter site administrators and their customers…make clear that both parties are aware that the customer is not attempting to attack their own computers,” according to an affidavit filed in support of court-authorized warrants to seize the booter sites.

read more (DoJ)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What were people using it for?

•••
•••
It says so on the first 3-4 lines... unless you mean something else?
what was their mission, to annoy those sites for a few hours? Extort them?

•••
what was their mission, to annoy those sites for a few hours? Extort them?
Ah, I got you now.
The first thing that comes to mind is, harass your competition.

In my case, I had domains that used my personalised nameservers at the place I parked them (so people knew who owned them despite the privacy) that got huge surges of traffic until they got banned by the parking service.

I removed the person.NS, waited a few days, put them on another parking service and up to this day they perform with no issues or strange traffic at all. If that was to continue, I would have lost valuable domains.

That could certainly be a coincindence but it may as well be what the article describes.

•••
Ah, I got you now.
The first thing that comes to mind is, harass your competition.

In my case, I had domains that used my personalised nameservers at the place I parked them (so people knew who owned them despite the privacy) that got huge surges of traffic until they got banned by the parking service.
That is pure evil, it's on the same level as leaving bad reviews for your competition

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back