IT.COM

Favorite methods in finding products to promote

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey Guys,

I've been doing many hours of research into this and even bought two courses the other day... I'm still no closer to having found a single product to promote. I've been told to go to clickbank, markethealth and a couple others, search for any products I find interesting. Take that name over to GKT or Long Tail Pro (which I have) - see how it ranks in the top 10 of Google. This is where I'm lost... I've heard to mainly look at PageRank and Links for the top 10. Is there a certain number of top10 with 0 or no PR which you go by, in order to tell if you have a good chance ranking that keyword? (ie. 6 out of 10 sites have no PR with low number of backlinks (<20)?) I also see that it's better in your favor if the majority of the top10 results do not have the keyword in the root of the domain, is that right? (ie. productname.com vs whateverotherkeyword.com/productname) Other than the factors I mentioned of PR, Links, keyword in root domain & title, what do you look for?

Does the number of local or global "exact" searches really play a factor for affiliate sites? I find that many of the products which I find on networks like markethealth, cb etc.. do not have many ppl searching for them (less than 1000 per month). If the searches do play a role, what numbers do you look for? (ie. 1000 - 4000 per month = good chance of ranking with some traffic but not too many searches which would mean a high competition? Or some other number range.)

Thanks for any help here guys! I find this interesting but it's just difficult wrapping my head around the topics I've mentioned.. i'm sure it will be easier after I find my first product or two. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds to me like you're wa-a-a-y overthinking this.

First, put your credit card (or Paypal account) away and stop buying courses. The only one who gets rich from them is the person who wrote them. :)

Start with a category you're interested in (or have some knowledge about). Promote products which people buy (where there's interest, a need, etc.)... which can be just about anything.

Check out the merchant before you apply to their program - are there affiliate gripes or consumer complaints? If so, run and find a different program. Merchants who cheat their customers will cheat their affiliates too.

Look at their site and landing page - is it convincing? Would you buy something there? Would you recommend it to your friends and family? If you wouldn't trust it neither will your visitors and your conversions will suck.

•••
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize I should be finding products that I'm interested in and I am looking in those categories. I believe I am doing the steps as you described since I do find an affiliate network who comes recommended with no complaints and who has that product to promote.

I just thought there were plenty of other little things to research after that.. If most of google top10 are full of aged sites with PR of 4's and 5's.. then it's probably not worth my money (reg'ing the domain etc) and time building and marketing the site.

•••
Top 10 for what? The name of a product?

If you're counting on search traffic you don't want to rank for just one keyword - that not only leaves you too vulnerable to algo changes , but you may find other keywords more effectively drive the conversions.

You should look at those sites to see how you can differentiate yourself - what are they not doing and what can you do better?

•••
Yes, Top 10 results on Google for the specific name of a product. From what I read, when you're creating an affiliate site, you should keep in mind that most people who will be looking at the product have already done the initial research and are now just looking for reviews on the product they have in their mind..or they are already in the mindstate to purchase the product and need to know where/how to do that. I may be way off base here but that's what I remember reading...

That's why I thought it would be best to try to reg a domain which is an exact match for the product name.

You're right though, i'm probably way over-analyzing this. lol

•••
That's why I thought it would be best to try to reg a domain which is an exact match for the product name.

Make sure you're inot infringing on any tm's. Also having the product or brand or company name in your URL is against the affiliate program terms of most merchants. Just be careful there.

(While I'm on the subject of affiliate T&C - please READ them before you join a program! So many people don't, it will save you a lot of aggravation down the road.)

Yes, specific product searches generally indicate a later stage of the purchase cycle If they're looking for reviews, they generally search for product name reviews BUT ...

they are already in the mindstate to purchase the product and need to know where/how to do that.

Most people nowadays can figure THAT out :) so you're not adding any value unless you help them compare prices, compare places to shop, provide coupons, or give them some other information they need.

Adding value is key for an affiliate site. If you're promoting just one product from one merchant (which is a risky business model for many reasons), it's critical. You don't want Google labeling you a "doorway page" and sending you to the bottom of the search results.

Last edited:
•••
Just my two cents worth.

Physical products, and now more digital products like ebooks?

Most people bypass all types of review sites, crap sites, affiliate sites, affiliate links...

And go straight to AMAZON!

And most people have learned how to figure out an affiliate link and strip it out or go direct to the site.
Even if you use a url short service.

Keep all that in mind when it comes to promoting a product that is not yours.

•••
Amazon gives me a very nice check every month for my affiliate sales. :).

Reviews work just fine as long as they're GENUINE. Get your hands on the product, take pictures or make a video, write up your opinion. Don't be afraid to say exactly what you think.

Yes, it's work :).

Reviews like "This is a widget. Everyone likes widgets! Widgets are popular. The widget is made of widget parts. We give this widget 5 stars. Buy this widget!" ... those are another story.

You have to add value! And respect your visitors - don't try to peddle crap.

If something IS crap, say so ... and point them towards a better alternative.

And most people have learned how to figure out an affiliate link and strip it out or go direct to the site.

People can always go straight to the site if they choose. Using a jump script for URL's is highly recommended, but that's more to make sure your numbers match up with your reports. BTW, I always tell people where they're going - they get pissed if they think they're going to a page on your site and end up on Amazon or eBay or something.

Last edited:
•••
Amazon? I thought they give pretty much the lowest commission (~4%) out of all the other affiliate networks (up to 75% or more), or am I wrong?

Yes, I was wondering about trademark violation... The course that I bought APC Reloaded (Affiliate Passive Commission) kept mentioning that what we need to do when deciding on a domain name is: "product name.com .net or .org", if that fails "product name review(s).com .net .org" etc.. So, I'm guessing I may have been wrong to listen to this?

You mention it's risky promoting one product from one merchant. I thought that's how most affiliate sites work? They target a specific product to promote then buy/reg a domain and build an affiliate site around that specific product. At least that's what I've been seeing in my google searches lately.

It seemed logical that I would get a lot more visitors to a site that says, for example, XtremeNO.net or XtremeNOReviews.com instead of bestcreatinesupplements.com (if they already know the product/brand they are after).

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

•••
Amazon has tiered commission, depending on how much you sell. I think I'm in the 7.5% tier this month.

Trust is HUGE in making conversions. People know and trust amazon. Amazon also does a great job of cross selling - people may not buy what they saw in your site, but they might go shopping for other things while they're there.

They also run an honest program with reliable tracking - there's a lot to be said for that. 6% with all your sales credited can yield more than a program that pays 45% but that under reports and shaves commission. Until the check's in your hands, it's all just numbers.

Single product sites risk being categorized as doorway sites by google. Doorway sites tend to have short lifespans. Unless you can make a site which justifies going to your site instead of direct to the merchant.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back