Dynadot

.us Fake DDoS Attack Threatening .US Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ladybug

Ladybug DomainsEstablished Member
Impact
A fake DDOS ATTACK threatening .us domain names has started today. The scam is targeting owners of .us (for now) domain names by harvesting email addresses from domain name whois and then emailing a threat.

Seems that every scammer in the world is using the domain name whois info.

The email that claims to be coming from the “Anonymous hackers group” asks the domain name and website owners to make a Bitcoin payment and if they don’t an DDoS attack will start with service going down permanently.

I say it is fake as this is not something the Anonymous group is doing and it is clear that they have not even visited the domain name to see that there is not website there but just a landing page.
The full contents of this article can be found at onlinedomain.com. Here is the link:

https://onlinedomain.com/2017/05/11/domain-name-news/fake-ddos-attack-threatening-us-domain-names/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It does seem so strange that the Whois Guard protection can only be used on some domains.

I don't get why some are allowed, others not, seems crazy, and is a spammer's charter.

WhoisGuard cannot be used with .asia, .bz, .ca, .cn, .uk, .co.uk, .de, .eu, .in, .me.uk, .nu, .li, .ch, .fr, .sg, .com.sg, .org.uk, .us, .es, .com.es, .nom.es, .org.es, .com.au, .net.au, .nyc or .org.au domains.

•••
Privacy can be used for .ca its free and set as default at modt registrars.
Where u get your info from is wrong
It does seem so strange that the Whois Guard protection can only be used on some domains.

I don't get why some are allowed, others not, seems crazy, and is a spammer's charter.

WhoisGuard cannot be used with .asia, .bz, .ca, .cn, .uk, .co.uk, .de, .eu, .in, .me.uk, .nu, .li, .ch, .fr, .sg, .com.sg, .org.uk, .us, .es, .com.es, .nom.es, .org.es, .com.au, .net.au, .nyc or .org.au domains.

•••
There are two groups called "Anonymous". There is the group you generally see in the media, "announcing" that "they" have plans to do something or have done something. This is a group of hackers controlled by Israel and the USA who are using the name Anonymous to commit nation-state level hacks for espionage purposes, while placing the blame on a party that can never be identified. The other group is all of the random people out there who claim the name on the idea that anybody can be called "Anonymous" if they just say so. They do not have any kind of group and simply lack the power to perform any of the high-profile tracks that "Anonymous" has publicly taken credit for. When people refer to the specific activities of the "Anonymous group", they must be referring to the only actual "group" that identifies itself collectively as Anonymous, and that is the group of nation-state criminals using the name for espionage. Unless someone is in the NSA or Mossad it is doubtful they would be privy to the shady activities of this secretive government hacking group.

It would be improper to talk about what either Anonymous is or is not doing, as neither is identifiable, neither announces anything they are doing, and either is capable of targeting .US domains if there is a financial or political motivation.

Last edited:
•••
Privacy can be used for .ca its free and set as default at modt registrars.
Where u get your info from is wrong

Oh that's strange. I wonder if things have changed?

I got that information straight from Namecheap's site, and I've just checked GoDaddy and .ca is is on their list of extensions which can't have privacy guard.

•••
Ah, just checked further, and there is a way to keep personal details private, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

Namecheap have a 'knowledgebase' page dealing with this topic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back