IT.COM

question Expireds. I bid $17. Few days left. Bid higher?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Without saying the marketplace I had bid on a pretty sweet domain that's expiring.

But with few days left I'm the only bidder?

Odd. But ok?

It's happened before where I bid $17 or under $20.

And last minute I was outbid by $50 or more.

Is there anyway to prevent this or guarantee I'll get it?

Are people using sniping apps like for eBay? To swoop in last minute to get domains for cheap?

Should I raise my bid or leave it.

I do know people here do this and swoop in last minute.

Advice?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
s there anyway to prevent this or guarantee I'll get it?
Two options:
  1. If the marketplace supports proxy bids, then place your maximum bid as a proxy bid. It won't bid any higher than is necessary for you to win the domain.
  2. If you're more hands on, you can set an alarm for when the auction is about to end and monitor it so that you can bid again if anyone outbids you.

Are people using sniping apps like for eBay?
Yes, there are people that use software to bid automatically at the last second on some marketplaces but most people use either option #1 or option #2.

Hope that helps,

•••
You can't really snipe bid on GD expiring auctions (if that's where you bidding). Not in the eBay sense of sniping where a last second bid can win the auction. In GD , any last minute bid re-sets the clock to 5m left in the auction.

•••
i've seen many names with 1 bid initially, end up going for thousands of dollars because all of the big players wait until the last 5 minutes to bid.

•••
I think you shouldn't have bid that early in the first place. If the domain is any good, you'll have competition and either pay more, or lose the domain. If you are the only person to like it, you'll probably win it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back