Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Expired domain scam?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
Watch

brendan52190

Established Member
Impact
1
I just received a domain I won at auction on TDNAM for an expired domain. I have now received an email from the supposed previous owner stating:

My renewal was mismanaged and you have purchased my domain which has been my brand online since 2005.

I would like it returned to me please.

They were using a hotmail email address that contained the first and last name of the previous registrant.

Is this a common scam, or should I give it genuine consideration? I have bought dozens of domains off of TDNAM, but never received an email like this. However, my spidey senses lead me to believe it's a scam. If this is in fact what happened, I would find a way to return the domain.

P.S. The domain is PR 2 so it does have some value.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I don't think it's a scam, it could very well be the previous owner. Sometimes they wake up and realize when it's too late :)
Note that even after you've won the auction there is a certain timeframe (a few days) during which the previous owner can still redeem the domain.
 
0
•••
He had plenty of time to renew, that's on him that he didn't. It's yours to do with what you want, keep it, or sell it back to him.
 
0
•••
I don't think it's a scam, it could very well be the previous owner. Sometimes they wake up and realize when it's too late :)
Note that even after you've won the auction there is a certain timeframe (a few days) during which the previous owner can still redeem the domain.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have emailed them back and will feel out the situtation further. Regardless, I wouldn't be sending them the domain back without reinburshment for my costs so it wouldn't be a total loss if I was "scammed," but I'd much rather use the domain to pass on some PR to my money sites :hehe:
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back