Dynadot

.EU Domains - European Union

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey Everyone,

I live in the UK and im eager to get hold of some great .EU domain names, I know that there are many non-european users on these forums that have also said that they are planning on registering .EU domain names on the launch of open Registrations!

It doesnt seem fair, and I suppose Im being a bit crude by even mentioning this, but if somone found out that somone outside of the European Union, then would they be able to get their domain 'Confiscated' if you will, if they were to contact eurid?

I don't feel that it is fair for people from other countries to reg our domain names when we don't reg theirs!

Thanks for any replies.

- Jiblob :wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi, I think everyone can register .US domains, correct me if I am wrong. And it will be fair that everyone register .EU also.

Anyway, I think in the first period only european companies or residents will have the right to register .EU names.

•••
Apparently, what I have read may be wrong, BUT according to what I have read it says that it is a strict requirement to be located in the EU, or for a branch of your company (if it is a business registration) to be in the EU

When you reg a .US domain on godaddy, it isnt possible to do it without first chossing that you are a US citizen

- Jiblob :o

Last edited:
•••

Euro can buy .us names so im pretty sure its fair for usa to get euro names.

•••
Last time i checked, anyone, everyone (with the money) could register a .eu domain name.

•••
Apparently not....

I just searched for rules of registration, here is a quote found at the following address: http://www.register.com/domain-rules.cgi ...

.US Domain Names
- .US - to be used by U.S. citizens and residents, U.S. corporations and other U.S. organizations and organizations with a presence within the United States
- Use only letters, numbers, or hyphen ("-")
- Domain names cannot begin or end with a hyphen
- Domain names must be longer than 2 characters and cannot exceed 63 characters (this does not include the extension)

Quote about .EU domains from http://www.ovh.com/eu/en/faq.xml ...

Can organisations from outside of the European Union register .EU domains?

No, the indispensable condition lay great stress on registration in the European Union area.

[I have decided to email Eurid regarding this issue, I'll get back to this post when I recieve a reply]

Last edited:
•••
Not everybody can register .us names. It just seems that way beacuse it is quite lax, and there aren't much reinforcement. You must meet the nexus requirements for .us.

•••
seems like an alright ext but i rather go for the .us than the .eu

•••
I think both .US and .EU are in the same level, just that the .us was released previously.

•••
yes, rules say that only Americans can get .us and only Europeans can get .eu, but there is no one checking that. That is why anybody can get them. And why shouldn't Americans be allowed to get .eu's? .eu would only lose it's value if only Europeans could get it

•••
Hey, at the sunrise 1 and 2 i find it good only people from EU but in open registrations why not?
I got an .us too

•••
Just register .EU domains to fight off unfairness. :D...I dont live in the EU territory, but i probably dont reg .EUs, not because i dont like .EUs, it's just i dont want any complications that i might encounter in the future.

•••
Just register .EU domains to fight off unfairness. ...I dont live in the EU territory, but i probably dont reg .EUs, not because i dont like .EUs, it's just i dont want any complications that i might encounter in the future.
I want lose it, such things are done only once! It's our chance for n00b domainers earn some cash!

•••
The dot eu extension will be restricted to the companies and citizens with an address in one of the 25 european states. I think it is fair as the dot us is not open for registration for non us citizens and companies.

The dot eu will be successful as most of the .com domains are owned by americains and therefore it is a chance for europeans to get good keywords with an international extension.

•••
•••
simpsons said:
Loads of people broke the .US rule
Only US people are allowed to register .US

Not correct :hi:

Also it will not be difficult for anyone to reg a .eu name, I believe the answer(s) are already in other posts :!:

•••
I have no doubt that the .EU registry will be deleting regs that don't comply with those set rulings.

But then again, it is as easy as digging your nose to set up office/incorporation in the UK or US for very cheap sums today.

What the .EU registry doesn't want is speculators swarming in like hungry locusts and taking out swaths of prime domains and then relegate them to silly PPC farms.

I think the .EU registry will be very strict on this, so you do risk losing your money bigtime if you are not careful and prepared.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back