IT.COM

discuss .eth Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

E-M

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Many are saying .eth is the new .com

Do we agree that the Decentralised Web3 utility of naming systems is the future?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, there is definitely no consensus that web3 naming systems are the future. I personally own some Handshake domains, but the problem with "decentralized" domains is that, by definition, there is literally no central agreed-upon body that says "these domains are recognized". Anyone can start a domain registry for .whatever but if it doesn't actually work then it has no value. until the registry is recognized by browsers, search engines, etc. they will not catch on.

•••
I am genuinely curious if there will be momentum with web3 domains in the coming months. Websites, like Pool.com, were offering early registration for the domains, but there does not seem to be any hard recognition for them. It's more of an idea than anything.

•••
something will eventually, but it wont be Ethereum ecosystem or .eth

•••
I am genuinely curious if there will be momentum with web3 domains in the coming months.
Unlikely. It's been waning for some time now. It's difficult to set up a working website with blockchain domains, they're unsafe, and they can't be accessed on most browsers without external plug-ins which are safety risks themselves.

The enthusiasts have been the people running these services or "investors" trying to make money off their early acquisitions. But it's been roughly a year now and there's still nothing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back