Domain Empire

Estibot estimates way down from 2015

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just searched for a name on EstiBot and I just happened to have one saved in pdf from 2016, it's less than half now. Have domain name prices really gone that much down or has Estibot changed their valuation algo ?

On the other hand, site has no traffic now at all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dont believe anything that automated appraisals give you, its all rubbish.

•••
Dont believe anything that automated appraisals give you, its all rubbish.
Oh, I know. Just wondered considering it's the same service. They seem very "keyword" centric, I guess they cannot account for /estimate the rest. Anyway, I always doubled or tripled their estimate in my mind.

•••
Sample of 1 isn't conclusive, am I right?

•••
•••
Keyword domains are rightly down imo.

•••
Oh, I know. Just wondered considering it's the same service. They seem very "keyword" centric, I guess they cannot account for /estimate the rest. Anyway, I always doubled or tripled their estimate in my mind.

Some values have gone up from 5 years ago too so there is no patterm

•••
Estibot has nothing good to be checked. Instead of that use Godaddy Appraisal at least its show lots of sales related to your keyword

•••
Most people don't like estibot because it says their domains aren't worth anything

•••
I think all automated valuation systems have reached the max they can, based on automation. By definition they are no two domains identical and related keywords are rarely useful....

Estibot has nothing good to be checked. Instead of that use Godaddy Appraisal at least its show lots of sales related to your keyword

•••
Just searched for a name on EstiBot and I just happened to have one saved in pdf from 2016, it's less than half now. Have domain name prices really gone that much down or has Estibot changed their valuation algo ?

On the other hand, site has no traffic now at all.

Estibot have nothing to do with domain names market trends.

Their valuation were and stay useless for any solid domainer.

•••
Why does NameJet still use Estibot?

•••
My bad....did a "live" appraisal and gave the original value, which is more than 2x the cached appraisal. Weird.

Last edited:
•••
Automated appraisals have to use some values to calculate value of a domain. Most reliable numerical values are search volume and CPC and these are not static values (if I don't consider TLD, age and other major static values. Traffic is not a reliable factor, shouldn't be considered unless it's type-in traffic.).

Monetary value of domains -like every commodity- are not really static. All prices have changed since 2015, not only domain prices.

Unstable CPC rates and search volumes are just a factor.

Other major factor in unstable domain prices is new trends in domain market such as crypto. Each market has a limited size. Total market size in each industry moves slowly as it is affected by countless variables in macroeconomics. New trends actually take their most of their share from the same pool (market size) and this causes lower prices in non-trend (non-crypto in our example), old fashioned domains.

To explain better I will give an example from computer industry: Laptops lowered desktop computer prices, smart phones lowered laptop and desktop prices. Because computer market size has a limit and the market doesn't grow as fast as the speed of invention in newer computer versions. If you buy a laptop, you don't buy a desktop (or you buy 1 less desktop), if you buy a smart phone, you buy neither a laptop nor a desktop. If there were no laptops and smart phones, desktop computer prices would be much much higher today. If you buy a crypto domain, you don't buy a one word or 4L domain (or you buy 1 less domain). Because you have a limited budget. Budget of all consumers = total market size.

One of the scientific explanations that could be considered to understand the basics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_good

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back