Domain Empire

Escrow.com I'm leaving you

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Dear Escrow,

You suck. I'm leaving you.

Marty

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now I feel better that I only had to cut my price in half to retain my buyer!

•••
Hey Marty, Sedo's domain transfer service has worked VERY well for me since I made the switch from escrow.com.

Some pros:

• 3% fee (although the buyer may incur a payment fee if they're paying by credit card or PayPal for example) (also there's a minimum of $60 I believe, may be higher for some other extensions). I paid just $90 for a $3000 transaction though for example which is pretty reasonable considering it includes the transfer service.
  • You push/transfer the domain directly to Sedo, and they have been releasing the funds very quickly (usually next business day after they receive the domain). Since the actual domain transfer can often be the most problematic step in the sale, this can really save some hassle and ensure you get paid fast.
  • Phone support (M-F during business hours)

Some cons:

• Buyer still needs to sign up for a Sedo account and potentially take steps to verify that account, depending on the price level.
  • A buyer could potentially get sidetracked and start searching for alternative names on Sedo.
  • Minimum escrow fee of I believe $60 for .com, although it can be higher depending on the extension.
  • Doesn't support payment arrangements
  • Sedo's ugly website

If you want to give it a shot sometime, you just need to submit this form (you'll need to know the buyer's Sedo account name):

https://sedo.com/us/services/domain-transfer-service/external-transfer-order-page/

Payoneer does sound promising / cheaper, but I haven't yet tried them. Looks like they don't ever hold the domain itself (I prefer they do).... but it is half the price....

can you still use that 3% escrow from sedo, if the domain your selling is listed on sedo market? (even if not bought there).. or will they try to get you to complete it through sedo market.. thus chasrge the 10-15% etc. ty.

•••
SO MAD:punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::punch::punch: going to do my best to hookup with another company

•••
can you still use that 3% escrow from sedo, if the domain your selling is listed on sedo market? (even if not bought there).. or will they try to get you to complete it through sedo market.. thus chasrge the 10-15% etc. ty.

If it was already listed on Sedo, they may indeed charge you more.

"Please note: If you reach an agreement outside of our marketplace and the domain is also listed on Sedo's marketplace, then the same commission shall be charged as for sales on the domain marketplace."

https://sedo.com/us/services/domain-transfer-service/external-transfer-order-page/

•••
After wasting so much time on verification, I was later informed my company is not on their service list. What a joke company. I have gone with payoneer and epik

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I'd reach out to buyer and apologize like a madman and give him a solid discount, if you can afford to that is. I kept mine from falling through but it literally took over $1000 from my profit! Maybe bring your price down to $999 and see if he will go through payoneerescrow.
Again, so so sorry, I feel your frustration here man.

•••
and give him a solid discount
Indeed, this would be a normal thing to do. Buyers are normal people just like us, they will appreciate such a comp. I had to do something similar once (was my own fault, sort of) - was unable to perform 2 transfers in timely fashion, due to unfortunate health/medical accident - and the buyers (both already paid) received domains (with a delay) together with amazon gift certificates as a compensation I myself elected to issue. Everyone was happy.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm now approaching 3 days waiting for my buyer's PayPal payment to be approved, a buyer who is the CEO of a large/reputable vitamin company here in the US. What happened to payments being approved in an hour like they used to? What's going on Escrow.com, this company used to be the best. :(

•••
I had a similar problem, despite being a long time customer. When the associate became belligerent, I told him I was recording the phone call.. sh*t hit the fan.

They deserve to be replaced. The same company ruined GetAFreelancer.com
Same Company RUINED WarriorForum

•••
I'm now approaching 3 days waiting for my buyer's PayPal payment to be approved, a buyer who is the CEO of a large/reputable vitamin company here in the US. What happened to payments being approved in an hour like they used to? What's going on Escrow.com, this company used to be the best. :(

They are sick, money sick that they have no other objective than to kill certain businesses.

•••
A shame.

I got on chat this morning to see what was up, response was something like "There was a glitch in the system, it said address was incomplete but I just looked into it and everything looks right to me. I will forward this to the payments department to look into it and we will let you both know when it clears."

Now I'm wondering how many days I would've been twiddling my thumbs being patient had I not contacted. Exactly like a 'glitch' for another transaction with them a few months ago where payment approval sat idle for a week and a half.

Last edited:
•••
A shame.

I got on chat this morning to see what was up, response was something like "There was a glitch in the system, it said address was incomplete but I just looked into it and everything looks right to me. I will forward this to the payments department to look into it and we will let you both know when it clears."

Now I'm wondering how many days I would've been twiddling my thumbs being patient had I not contacted. Exactly like a 'glitch' for another transaction with them a few months ago where payment approval sat idle for a week and a half.
All domainers should boycott Escrow for good

•••
I had a buyer too who was frustrated with escrow.com. He said that their account validation was way too long and the support didn't respond to his emails. It was just a $350 deal, so I told him that I'll accept paypal. Fortunately for me, he was a good person and a legit buyer.

•••
Thank you for all the nice comments about PayoneerEscrow.com. Reach out to me anytime regarding our services, I think you will be pleased what you find. Best regards to all,

Brandon
Haven't used payoneer escrow yet, but I had a lot of issues with payoneer and especially the support. It takes an average of about two weeks to get a responce to an email or ticket to support, and then it's usually just some copy pasted stuff that's not even relevant, sometimes even completely wrong and contradictory.
Multiple unexplained charges on my payoneer card, along with very high card fees (I think it's 1% for receving payments, plus 3-4% for paying with credit card, plus another 3-5% for currency conversion, plus another 2% for withdrawals to a bank account.
Phone support personal are often unqualified to answer any questions beyond the basic stuff, so I often had to call, have the phone support open a ticket, wait a couple weeks for a reply, then call back because the ticket reply was useless and so on..
Even with tens of thousands of dollars going through my account it's been impossible to get decent customer support over past months.

•••
Haven't used payoneer escrow yet, but I had a lot of issues with payoneer and especially the support. It takes an average of about two weeks to get a responce to an email or ticket to support, and then it's usually just some copy pasted stuff that's not even relevant, sometimes even completely wrong and contradictory.
Multiple unexplained charges on my payoneer card, along with very high card fees (I think it's 1% for receving payments, plus 3-4% for paying with credit card, plus another 3-5% for currency conversion, plus another 2% for withdrawals to a bank account.
Phone support personal are often unqualified to answer any questions beyond the basic stuff, so I often had to call, have the phone support open a ticket, wait a couple weeks for a reply, then call back because the ticket reply was useless and so on..
Even with tens of thousands of dollars going through my account it's been impossible to get decent customer support over past months.

I too have noticed a lot of difference between Payoneer and Payoneer Escrow support and I have pointed that out to Brandon.

I cannot confirm if the fees you are stating are correct ( I do not recall, f.e., the 1% fee for receiving payments on the card ) but even if they are I think the service overall is much better than PayPal which has become imo a legalized theft.

The fees and conversion fees are insane ( of course if you live in the US you do not "feel" them ) but I think they go up to 6%.

As a clarification one does not need a Payoneer account to use Payoneer Escrow.

Maybe @Brandon Abbey can clarify some points?

•••
I too have noticed a lot of difference between Payoneer and Payoneer Escrow support and I have pointed that out to Brandon.

I cannot confirm if the fees you are stating are correct ( I do not recall, f.e., the 1% fee for receiving payments on the card ) but even if they are I think the service overall is much better than PayPal which has become imo a legalized theft.

The fees and conversion fees are insane ( of course if you live in the US you do not "feel" them ) but I think they go up to 6%.

As a clarification one does not need a Payoneer account to use Payoneer Escrow.

Maybe @Brandon Abbey can clarify some points?

It is correct you do not need a Payoneer account to use Payoneer Escrow. Thanks,

Brandon

•••
I'll never use Escrow.com again. Sick and tired of the run around and untrained employees. I started a transaction on Friday to purchase a name for $1000. I've completed over 30 transactions using them, both as a buyer and seller. I'm Tier 3 verified also.

I try and pay for the $1000 name and the system tells me my only option is to pay by wire transfer. PP or Credit Card is not an option. WTF? Why isn't Amex an option for a $1000? So I try and call them and of course they are closed. So I figured I'll get on live chat and quickly solve the problem - also not an option. Then I send an email and still no reply (It's now Monday afternoon).

I call them and explain my situation and the representative tells me since I've never completed a transaction with them before, they can not accept my CC payment. I go on to explain and that I'm Tier 3 verified, I've complete well over 30 transactions and that her information is incorrect. She verifies what I'm saying and acknowledges the error.

At this point, I figured the problem is solved and I can finally pay for the domain.... I ask, so can I pay for the name using my Amex?

She says sorry sir, for this particular transaction, at our discretion we reserve the right to not accept PP or CC. For this transaction you must pay by Wire. So at this point I'm starting to get annoyed. I ask why the F&#& NOT? Why can't I paying using my AMEX? I'm willing to pay the extra 3% and I've done it may times before.. Her reply... Sorry sir, for this particular transaction, at our discretion we reserve the right to not accept PP or CC. For this transaction you must pay by Wire.

So I ask her what if I cancel this transaction and start a new one... again... sorry sir, for this particular transaction, at our discretion we reserve the right to not accept PP or CC. For this transaction you must pay by Wire.

At that point I had it and just hung up.

•••
She says sorry sir, for this particular transaction, at our discretion we reserve the right to not accept PP or CC. For this transaction you must pay by Wire. So at this point I'm starting to get annoyed. I ask why the F&#& NOT? Why can't I paying using my AMEX? I'm willing to pay the extra 3% and I've done it may times before.. Her reply... Sorry sir, for this particular transaction, at our discretion we reserve the right to not accept PP or CC. For this transaction you must pay by Wire.

So I ask her what if I cancel this transaction and start a new one... again... sorry sir, for this particular transaction, at our discretion we reserve the right to not accept PP or CC. For this transaction you must pay by Wire.

At that point I had it and just hung up.
That robotic response matches exactly my last several interactions with Escrow support. Egregious behavior and stubbornness IMO. Your (and my) past business with them means absolutely nothing to them, apparently.

•••
The longer escrow holds onto money, the more they can make from it. Same with paypal, same with banks.
I can't even fathom how much money paypal "makes" each year from their customers who die unexpectedly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back