NameSilo

Epik API support

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
These days I've finally decided to try out Epik, having domains about anywhere else.

Registered about 40 domains in 2 days, but now I am REALLY disapointed. Side note the context is drop catching and using their API for regging expired domains.

First off, as a note, I was not able to contact support at all. It's like trying to reach a black hole. All calls never reached a rep. I can see they also don't reply to emails. Tried calling many times - it's impossible. You just wait for 2 minutes then the call hangs up on you. No I won't leave a message, sorry; the whole experience makes me suspect nobody will ever call me back. The site is also made BTW so you don't actually find how to contact them, apart from calling the numbers nobody replies to.

Side note if I could call support, OR find any kind of documentation answering my problems listed here, this post would not have existed. But I'm left to my own devices with this. Hence this post.

First day, 2 domains didn't go through. Yeah, perhaps someone else was quicker, that's alright, I understand. But the funds were taken from the account. I mean, what? The inability to register the domains should automatically cancel the transactions, Paypal supports that. And they know instantly they couldn't reg the domain.

I can't really watch if each transaction is matched by a correct domain registration. Have better things to do. Any other registrar automatically sees such errors and reverts the transactions without me having to manually point each to them.

Mailed their support, received note somethone actually received it, and later that day the funds went into account credit. No email replies regarding problem solved, no warning that they actually did this. You have to discover on your own that actually something went into credit. Fortunately I took a look at it.

The worst thing by far is the API.

As a domain investor, I watch for expired domains and I use registrar API to quickly snatch what I need.

Unfortunately, that is not possible with Epik. Their API will not register any freshly dropped domain, although the manual bulk register interface allows for it. This is because, as I can see, the domains ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN REALTIME VIA THE API. While at the same time any other registrar I'm using shows them as available so you can register now. I could register 0 domains via their API. ( Edit: manual regs work though, but not freshly expired ones).

I have given up trying registration after a few minutes so then I'm doing manual regs via the bulk manual search. This meant for me, pointless work for hours at something that any other registrar API offers. Even GD is quicker than this and a more or less functional thing by comparison.

I suspect they only offer CACHED registrations via the API. Yeh, you can definitely register the same domain next day... if it's a crappy one therefore still left available. Sorry - but for a domain investor, 30-60 seconds later anything still worth picking (and not sniped by DropCatch/SnapNames) is looong gone.

Furthermore, you are limited to 10 domains max per API call. (edit: when searching for available domains, cause for registration it's obviously individual).

I mean, seriously? I often monitor up to 60 domains per day, this will likely go soon to hundreds (as I'm currently expanding), so what can any serious investor do with a 10 domains limit?? They know I'm that kind of user cause I've told them on signup. Okay, so be it - disabled search completely and broken the list in batches of 10 or less and tried even that as direct reg attempt. No luck. It won't reg anything. Even if it's just 1 domain call via the API. Minutes later, the domain is still not available. And yeah, it is available via any other registar's API already... sometimes for minutes already... (watched that unfold) but not on Epik.

I'm sorry but this is NOT how the swiss bank of domains should perform.

I'm not sure right now exactly who will actually use this API, who is this for? Us domain investors, certainly not - given the situation.

I hope that Epik takes this post as it should and as intended (as positive criticism from a domainer), and fix their service.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The big paradox with Epik is that the CEO is available 247 in this forum and he will even answer less intelligent questions
It is something I'd like to learn (maybe Rob can share?), how is this possible to manage all this, 24/7/365 and politely? I'm really interested... Mission impossible, but he indeed answers all questions. As a domain seller, with all sorts of email inquiries in the inbox, I ended up with the following: pre-written templates answering the questions like "how is it possible that the domain with my registered company name is for sale, you #*$&". With pre-written templates all case-specific emotions are remaining on my end. But, forum communications are different...

Last edited:
•••
Thanks the feedback.

We'll give it a review.

Most people like our API:

https://docs.userapi.epik.com/v2/

As for using the API to dropcatch, that is not how you are supposed to use it. The API is throttled to prevent over-utilization.

Besides if you are a cheapskate, you can just use our Backorder service which is really cheap at $8.49 and is still first come first serve. That is what most people do.

Support is generally good, notably via email and web chat. Phone support on Thanksgiving weekend might have had an occasional gap but we'll check with @Jess Robison.

The OP's thread title is no way to start a relationship, but we'll happily listen to his feedback and see what we can learn from it.

We do have very big plans in the reseller market. Our first WHMCS plugin is nearly ready.

@Gube @vitigo

Backorder is $199 not $8.49.. I paid 199 for a backorder few days ago.

What I am missing?!

•••
•••
Authorize... LiveChat and ask...

Are there any other things thar are discounted for NP members?

I started using Epik recently 1 month ago and still not familiar with their platform.

•••
I guess after all the hype of how great epik is,
you should be able to tolerate a negative feedback

and please remember
you are a huge fan
of "free speech"

•••
Yup, all good. I am a fan of it -- warts and all.

The OP sent a long private feedback with some great input. Our engineers will be reviewing the feedback this week as well as revisiting how we prioritize backorder calls to the API to reward loyal customers preferentially over those who only use the API for backorders. Loyalty will have its rewards.

backorders at epik have 1 huge disadvantage
over other registrars

as far as I know epik owns 1 registrar
and a lot of competitors own
A LOT more

•••
that’s nice. you have your own agent?

epik have your own CEO. OWNER

(Godaddy has different owner/CEO)

Support is better, at Epik, period.

this thread is proof, and your post offtopic

(Godaddy is irrelevant... to thread, nice try

My post is on topic, learn to read.

•••
I still don't think the OP knows the first thing about API's or drop catching. I think he/she blamed Epik - instead of looking within at his/her deficiencies - not understanding/recognizing his/her ignorance of limits placed by registry when attempting to catch a domain.

•••
Although my post has been indeed quite critical, they say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

you are
"carrying coals to Newcastle"

( "Eulen nach Athen tragen")

•••
My mass-exodus migration is almost complete. Godaddy holds me hostage, even pushes, forced hold 60 —delayin inevitable (gd =titanic) unless i keep prev WHOis info same. I gave up

i’m just waiting out 60 day lock to get out GD!

there’s No-one i’d trust more than Rob,

Samer

Godaddy is my last choice of registars
( no wait .. there is the likes of 1&1 - and netsol -- even worse )

but that doesn't make epik my prefered registar.

I don't suffer from Alzheimers disease

Last edited:
•••
It still baffles me how GD got this big. My thought so far is, has to be related to their $1 deals, including new $1 registrations.

they have a nice face that promotes their business
and I'm not talking about the guys face....

•••
1and1 is improving every year...
Even 2 years ago it was significantly different than it is as of today.

Last edited:
•••
Appraisal tools need to move forward indeed. But I still have little hope they will indeed hit the nail in the head anytime soon. It's much more complicated I'm afraid. You really have to know the niche well, the companies, the people and the inclination of any potential buyers, make a full persona beforehand etc.

Give you an example.

There is a highly lucrative industrial niche I deal in. I know the companies as I've traveled all across Europe in the last 10 years (dealing in several industrial verticals and this is one of them; each is different).

The trick is, nobody in this industry will buy a related domain. They won't touch it with a long pole. They don't buy domains at all. They even won't buy a website that brings leads daily, when an individual lead can bring an 100K or 1M sale. They say to you, use the website and bring us the orders, not leads.

It's common in that industry. So whoever buys this kind of domain by growth, enterprise value etc. is at a loss.

which industry is that?

•••
Appraisal tools need to move forward indeed. But I still have little hope they will indeed hit the nail in the head anytime soon. It's much more complicated I'm afraid. You really have to know the niche well, the companies, the people and the inclination of any potential buyers, make a full persona beforehand etc.

Give you an example.

There is a highly lucrative industrial niche I deal in. I know the companies as I've traveled all across Europe in the last 10 years (dealing in several industrial verticals and this is one of them; each is different).

The trick is, nobody in this industry will buy a related domain. They won't touch it with a long pole. They don't buy domains at all. They even won't buy a website that brings leads daily, when an individual lead can bring an 100K or 1M sale. They say to you, use the website and bring us the orders, not leads.

It's common in that industry. So whoever buys this kind of domain by growth, enterprise value etc. is at a loss.
HUH?

•••
•••
And not only .com
Against valuable .ORG you also have no any chances via API regardless of registrar.

•••
And not only .com
Against valuable .ORG you also have no any chances via API regardless of registrar.

This has been discussed already:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-myths-and-lies.1162896/

Side note, I am aware about this being considered the norm. But it's simply a myth at least to me.

When I started I shared the same opinion. But as things progressed, I have discovered that it is, indeed, a myth and my own paradigm has changed. It depends though, on your style, methods etc. I focus on domains between 1k-10k value. For higher numbers, your only chance is to pay up at an auction or similar.

It is to be said that not everybody will ever agree on a single thing. And that's alright. I'm just sharing a view, perhaps a different one, as I know some people will embrace it. Not everybody, of course.

Edit: What I need to add though, is that it is not simple. You need the right tools for it. I always perfect my software tools and today I'm taking some to the next level. You probably scan 10K domains for each one that is left valuable. You scan 100k for every handreg really worth taking. So it's a combination of efficient software and hard work. But end of the day, it is worth it if your process has been perfected.

Last edited:
•••
But if you don't value your time, efforts and health - you may continue to use API...

•••
API limit is not a bottleneck... and this is 100% myth that limit can solve your problems.
The more important how much time is required for registrar to process any order... even 1 wasted second on the internal registrar's processing - and you fail.

Last edited:
•••
I don't know this Epik API v2 performance...
I used it in the past when it was v1, were no problems. It was also unlimited in the past.

•••
Did you set your IP address in Epik API settings?
Calls only from this IP are allowed.

And recheck your API signature/key...

If both are correct - then very strangely that it doesn't work for you...

•••
Some registrars catch dropped domains for themselves that's why they don't like you to compete with them in real-time and you can't blame them for wanting to take full advantage of their limited resources and allowances for themselves.

IMO

I agree with you on this one. Except I'm not real time, but like 1-minute window.

•••
I agree with you on this one. Except I'm not real time, but like 1-minute window.

I guess you have to ask Rob how big the real-time window is. ;)

IMO

•••
I guess you have to ask Rob how big the real-time window is. ;)

IMO

Rob will likely reply once things have cleared on their end, it appears they are working on this and there were also some decisions to be made.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back