IT.COM

advice Emails not being delivered. Please advise!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Perceptron

"What you seek, is seeking you!"Top Member
Impact
In the last 6 months I have had about 73 inquiries via Parking Page for my Non-Liquid domains. On following up I have had less than 10% i.e. 5 acknowledgement/replies. Out of which I rejected 2 of the weirdly blatant low-ballers who tried to bring up Student and Charity Card within the 3rd round of emails! The other 3 offered a decent price based on current market but I dont mind adding another 5-10 years on them, and I "may wanna develop them". So no sale yet via inquiries!

The distress is the response rate. They inquire about a domain. I ask them to make an offer, and more than 90% dont reply. I dont get it.

I integrated Sidekick a couple of week back and now I can see my emails are not being opened. 4 response to inquiry sent in the last 2 weeks and none opened!!!

I have also sent more than a 100 outbound emails in the last 2 weeks, with zero response yet!

All my sales so far has happened through GD Premium, NP and Flippa, except one of the highest value to a friends boss, dealing in person, that too nTLD.

Its becoming impossible to make a negotiated sale, which is the CREAM of this business. I am developing a feeling of helplessness.

What do I do to reach these people who want to know about my domains?

PS : I have tried learning and applying all kinds of tricks to bypass SPAM filters in vain. Not using trigger words, etc, etc, etc....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would suggest you to start tracking emails you send. Especially when you are sending emails AFTER receiving an offer. By doing so you would know if the buyer opened your mail and read it. If too many of them not being opened then they are probably ending up in Spam folder.

If you don't get any reply even after email is viewed, then they are probably not very interested on that domain or maybe you might want to think about changing your style of your sending email.

•••
if they didn't open, just send again using [email protected]

Most of tech people knew sidekick and they may block the notification, It didn't mean delivered (but 0% response rate looks your mail hit to spam)

•••
@Haris100 Get a FastMail account. It's like $40/year and allows you to setup @yourhostname.com emails for up to 50 different domains just by pointing your domain's MX records to Fastmail's servers.

•••
If our email is clean from spam triggers, will it make sure the email lands in inbox?

Email deliverability is a complicated issue. This includes how clean the IP is that you are sending from and whether your email service provider follows best practices to avoid being labeled as spam. I think FastMail is good on both accounts, but there are of course many options.

Also regarding Kate's suggestion, you might be able to improve your deliverability by just farming out the backend to a transactional email service without the headache of trying to run your own email server. I was working on a WordPress site where users weren't getting emails, and we solved the problem by switching over to a transactional email provider (smtp.com) which allowed us to keep our existing infrastructure and just outsource the email part.

•••
Spam filters are an issue with email. I quite often will find domain for sale emails in my spam filter. One way to bypass email filters is to use Facebook messaging but in limited volumes. If you send out too many messages in a short time or too many messages per day they will freeze your messaging ability. The reality is most people just do not value domain names that highly. They might be willing to pay $50 to $75 for a personal project or maybe low $XXX for a small business. But the five-figure sales we see on DNJ are very atypical unless you have high-search volume .COM domains.

•••
If you send out too many messages in a short time or too many messages per day they will freeze your messaging ability.

I am guilty of it already! Had to play a facebook facial recognition game to bypass the block.

The reality is most people just do not value domain names that highly.

Smart pricing is a different issue.

The distress is the response rate. They inquire about a domain. I ask them to make an offer, and more than 90% dont reply. I dont get it.

Maybe the emails are not reaching their inbox, instead directly going into SPAM, now how to mitigate this? I have read many conventional precautionary measures and even applied them, still in vain!

What do I do to reach these people who want to know about my domains?

Last edited:
•••
I integrated Sidekick a couple of week back and now I can see my emails are not being opened. 4 response to inquiry sent in the last 2 weeks and none opened!!!

I would suggest you to start tracking emails you send. Especially when you are sending emails AFTER receiving an offer.
Spot on!

I have tried using methods to reduce the probability of ending into SPAM folders. Like avoiding Spam Trigger Words and Phishing Phrases. I am running out of ideas.

Please join the conversation here if you have any spam avoidance tips?

•••
Same problem here. Will using an email of your domain name work? Example: '[email protected]'?. We can use these emails through Zoho. Not sure if it will stop the same email from landing in spam or not.

•••
I have often wondered how much mail ending up in the spam folder matters at all. I check my spam folder semi-regularly, I may be wrong with this but I bet that most other people do the same. If I have genuine interest in something, it will not matter to me whether the message is in the spam folder or not, it will be read sooner or later, this is the only difference.

If what I suspect is true then it is a case of qualified leads that are not yet ready to purchase at the price you are putting on the table at that moment. The best advice I can give you is to contact them again in say 3-4 months time. There is little in the way of lead nurturing you can do here, your best option is to give them time and hope that in 3-4 months time they are in a better mood/place/financial situation, and they are ready then.

Outreach is an ongoing effort. Very few campaigns will lead to immediate sales.

•••
@Domain Lead Finder .. I don't think many people check there Spam folder.. specially a CEO or CMO of a company won't.

It's not only about sales.. the main problem is that the recipient doesn't even read the email.

•••
My suggestion: get real E-mail.
Don't use a third party service. Host your own mail. You need hosting (server) and a domain name.
Use a real SMTP/IMAP server. Thus you'll have better control and visibility over inbound & outbound delivery.
For example, if your mails are being rejected you can see a live response from the remote MX ie "mail blocked because of this or that".
You can also set up your own whitelisting/blacklisting rules.

I realize this setup is not for everyone, but with third party E-mail you'll always be in the dark.

Perhaps you also need to review your current templates. I mean, casual, domain-related E-mails are already considered suspicious and probable spam.
HTML-rich E-mail that is full of tracking code and remote images will typically result in a higher spam score, and decrease the odds of successful delivery.

Are you sending from a residential ISP ? Then your IP reputation is poor. You most like have no valid PTR either. In such conditions, achieving successful delivery is going to be more the exception than the rule.

•••
@Kate For those like me who don't even know what is a SMTP/IMAP server it won't be easy to set it all up. Any other way to do this? Have you used services like Zoho? I don't think most sales people would have their own server.

•••
@Haris100 Get a FastMail account. It's like $40/year and allows you to setup @yourhostname.com emails for up to 50 different domains just by pointing your domain's MX records to Fastmail's servers.

If our email is clean from spam triggers, will it make sure the email lands in inbox?

Thanks. I will look for more alternatives too.

•••
Email deliverability is a complicated issue. This includes how clean the IP is that you are sending from and whether your email service provider follows best practices to avoid being labeled as spam..

That summarizes it pretty well. A lot of people prefer to use gmail for that reason.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back