NameSilo

news Elon Musk buys 9.2% stake in Twitter

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Clover

Find your luckTop Member
Impact
Billionaire Elon Musk has reportedly bought almost $3 billion worth of shares in Twitter.

The Tesla founder bought 73,486,938 Twitter shares on 14 March, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The stake is worth $2.89bn (£2.20bn), based on Twitter's closing price on Friday.

The stake makes him one of the largest shareholders in the company and is more than four times the 2.25% holding of Twitter founder Jack Dorsey.

Musk is a regular Twitter user with more than 80 million followers, although recently he said he is giving "serious thought" to building a new social media platform.

Late last month Musk asked his followers whether they thought the social media platform encouraged free speech.

"Free speech is essential to a functioning democracy. Do you believe Twitter rigorously adheres to this principle?"

He then asked: "Is a new platform needed?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60979656

My theory, he will try to out-do Meta.

Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Elon is going to be on Twitter's board of directors now. So much for a "passive" investment.

I am sorry if I am skeptical that the world's richest man having such a large say in "free speech" is a good thing.

Elon Musk is basically a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies. Just who the world needs pulling the strings on social media.

This creates such a terrible precedent in my view.

Brad

This scenario is a bit like GoDaddy taking a 90% stake in Namepros/DNJournal/Domain Sherpa...

•••
This scenario is a bit like GoDaddy taking a 90% stake in Namepros/DNJournal/Domain Sherpa...
Yeah except there aren't hoards of rabid militant lefties bursting at the seams with double standards and swayed easily by the media of the day.

•••
Even Jack admits how bad the centralization on Twitter and other platforms etc is has almost been the death knell for a free internet:

1649334112275.png

•••
•••
Even Jack admits how bad the centralization on Twitter and other platforms etc is has almost been the death knell for a free internet:

Show attachment 213654
Words are cheap ( albeit not always free ) so let's see what he actually DOES about it with his newfangled boredroom power ? Stop censoring people. Yes there are snowflake idiots on the left and there are racist muppets on the right, plus everywhere in the middle are an assortment of everything you would expect to find in between, but EVERYONE should be heard. That's how real democracy functions. Maybe I don't agree with someone but you ALL have a right to be heard and considered. Cancel culture is the fashion of a weak generation. My heart truly bleeds for the civilians murdered in Ukrainian villages. It truly does. But at the same time I am 100 % against censoring Vladimir Putin's Twitter account. We need to hear all opinions and let them be open to free debate by EVERYONE in any country. Let's see what Jack actually does about his so-called regrets.

•••
•••
LOL.

Elon is going to be on Twitter's board of directors now. So much for a "passive" investment.

I am sorry if I am skeptical that the world's richest man having such a large say in "free speech" is a good thing.

Elon Musk is basically a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies. Just who the world needs pulling the strings on social media.

Why don't you explain to us all what Elon Musk's sociopathic tendencies are.

This creates such a terrible precedent in my view.

Brad
What a crock of bull shite.

Elon wants to open source twitter ranking algorithm, eliminate bots and puppet accounts ( sorry @JB Lions ) and make twitter a fair and open market place for ideas.

Last edited:
•••
Billionaire Elon Musk has reportedly bought almost $3 billion worth of shares in Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60979656

My theory, he will try to out-do Meta.

Your thoughts?

He'll do what he said. Open source the ranking algorithm, eliminate the bots, make it easy for humans to be verified ( instead of handing out blue checks like they are merit badges ) and make the platform truly inclusive.

People hatting on Elon Mush are ignorant and afraid or have no interest in free speech and equality.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back