IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Checked some domains a while back, checked again and registered >:(

anyone else have this problem?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

I usually stay away from registrars when doing domain searches.

I use Domaintools and never had a problem.

•••
Checked some domains a while back, checked again and registered >:(

anyone else have this problem?

Yes, plenty of people here are paranoid .... a few even make baseless accusations.

•••
I can't link to the exact post, but a Dynadot representative replied to that thread since 2007:

http://www.dynadot.com/community/fo...-name-logs-that-you-re-searching-for-380.html

Just the same, don't search unless you're ready to register it on the spot. Don't expect an available domain name to remain that way by the time you get finally get around to it, lest this sort of thing might happen and needlessly frustrate you.

•••
I use Domaintools and never had a problem.
DomainTools has a refresh issue. Bad when you are waiting for a pending drop within the day. Sometimes the domain is already available for reg, yet DomainTools says it's still taken and pending delete.

I use the Yahoo Small Business search form. More accurate. And Yahoo seems uninterested in the domaining business, so no motivation for them to hijack searches. I just do pass/fail checks on a domain.

•••
From my experience, I have used Dynadot's whois search and still retrieved domains that were available days later at regfee for hand registration. Unless something has changed, I don't believe they are snooping around to register domain searches on their behalf. I hope it's still the same.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Are you serious ?

You said they are taken so spill the beans please.

You said taken, but did you read the whois ?

•••
Just re-checked every available name I've found for the last 10 days.

All were originally checked on dynadot.

All still available. I guess they could all suck - they are all on my meh, maybe list.

I only ever check for .com and .net.

OP What extensions were you checking? Was the domain recently dropped?

•••
It depends on quality of domains too...

I use Godaddy and I didn't get such issue even after 5 days.

•••
Unless anyone can maybe present arguably irrefutable proof, it'll be kinda difficult to authoritatively claim that Dynadot is sniffing or similar. One can speculate, but...that's just about all it is.

Meanwhile, just be ready to register on the spot after searching. Problem (should be) solved.

•••
Dynadot does not record, store or share any of your searches. We do not keep a company portfolio and none of us could be considered domainers. We have absolutely zero interest in taking domains away from our customers. Personally, I think the idea of any Registrar behaving this way is deplorable. I'm certain my teammates would agree.

•••
Dynadot does not record, store or share any of your searches. We do not keep a company portfolio and none of us could be considered domainers. We have absolutely zero interest in taking domains away from our customers. Personally, I think the idea of any Registrar behaving this way is deplorable. I'm certain my teammates would agree.

Liars. you stole at least 4 domains from me and I had to get Nominet to recover them. I just transferred almost 200 today and another 980 or so will be going in the next couple of days. Useless isn't the word, still have a pending transaction from saturday, contact support no reply. Told them I was going to remove close to 1000 domains, no reply. Avoid dynadot like the plague, it's that simple. All because someone bidded $9 on a domain name so in their eyes that $9 bid is worth more than over 1000 domains getting renewed, go figure that one out. At least you say you are deplorable in your own words (yes I have proof and so does Nominet or your shady actions). That reminds me Nominets compliance team will be in touch.

•••
If you are saying you reneged on selling that $9 bid domain to the rightful winner, then it is you who are in the wrong. If I read your message correctly.

•••
The only problem have with Dynadot is the time it takes to process large orders as they needed approval for hand regs with .site.

I had entered a few of the same names I didn't want to loose through GoDaddy and got them immediately.

Apart from that I find their service very good as I haven't had any problems talking with customer service and winning domain auctions getting domains transfered over to my account.

I live on the other side of the world. New Zealand.

•••
Stub: Dynadot put my domain into auction without my permission, I knew nothing about it until I dug deeper. In the UK you have 90-92 days to renew your domain, the registrar cannot change any registrant info and it's common for UK domainers to renew at the last minute. What happened was unware to me dynadot had placed the domain(s) in auction, the issue was when someone bid they removed it from my account and changed the registrant email so I couldn't move registrars (against Nominet t&c's).

Nominet gave me all the domains back without an issue because I wasn't even aware what was going on until I received the domain removed from account email. So that is what I mean, for the sake of someone bidding $9 they lost all those renewals. Hope that clears it up.

•••
This is something that has puzzled me for a time. I had a .tv domain I was waiting for on the drop. I checked dynadot search, since sometimes godaddy has issues for me. Dynadot search showed domain was available, so I quickly go to godaddy and buy because of my discount ( I think it was $25 or something at the time). I go back to dynadot and see if it is now unavailable, to my surprise it NOW had a I believe $800 premium tag on it. (it has since been marked unavailable) I'm not saying they tried to snipe it, but it was quite bizarre that minutes after I search the domain it pops the $800 price. Nevertheless the OP reminded me of my suspicions.

Again i'm not accusing, but maybe someone can enlighten me on why that would happen?

Last edited:
•••
SN: Very possible, let me put it this way, dynadot have one of my domains on sedo, so they are trying to sell a domain they do not even have access to. That's the sort of company dynadot are, so I have no doubt they are actively looking for domains to sell themselves.. I was onto their support yesterday who denied all knowledge. So they are either lying or have sold it to someone who doesn't actually own it anymore (because it has been moved to another registrar and I have full control). I have not placed the domain in sedo and would be delighted for sedo to check the logged IP's). You see dynadot didn't know Nominet had returned the domain to me so they were still the registrar, I logged into my dynadot account and the nameservers will transfer (this means I see the nameservers dynadot were using when they had control) so when dynadot stole it they had every intention of selling it themselves, just like your example.

Nominet look to have been in touch I didn't see any .uk domain auctions on dynadot this morning.

I had been using them for a while but you can't use a registrar who is actively seeking take your domains away. I feel sorry for the other people dynadot have done this to who did not know you can simply contact Nominet to get the name back (there is a £12 registrar change fee each time though). I was told by Nominet to move my domains away from dynadot let me put it that way.

Last edited:
•••
I have bought four domains on Dynadot that GoDaddy insisted were unavailable, two of them just the other day.

•••
Allie0: Been there as well, I have used dynadot for a while I had no issues til they started taking my domains. Indeed I may even still use them if they have a good offer on I'll take it, just that I would bulk transfer all the domains from them so they don' t get the renewals. There would be no point in cutting my nose off to spite my face, if they have a good offer, why not take it. Use them like they use their customers.

•••
When you think about it, registrars snooping WhoIs searches is a complete waste of time for them. I mean, there might be a gem in the rough, but it's like one in every 10k available names (and even that name isn't truly a gem most of the time). However, being a bit paranoid, I spread my bulk whois searches far and wide these days.

More likely scenario: your desired name is on other domainers' list as well, especially if from a recent drop. Also, I follow a lot of (future) tech newsletters and the new products/concepts get picked up pretty much right away. This has happened to me many, many times. I've lost a lot of future tech names to big boy domainers like Andrew Reberry because I've hesitated, say, 10 min or so.

My point being: you're not alone and if you want to play it safe (and save some tears), only do whois lookups when you have the dough to actually buy those names.

•••
When you think about it, registrars snooping WhoIs searches is a complete waste of time for them. I mean, there might be a gem in the rough, but it's like one in every 10k available names (and even that name isn't truly a gem most of the time). However, being a bit paranoid, I spread my bulk whois searches far and wide these days.

More likely scenario: your desired name is on other domainers' list as well, especially if from a recent drop. Also, I follow a lot of (future) tech newsletters and the new products/concepts get picked up pretty much right away. This has happened to me many, many times. I've lost a lot of future tech names to big boy domainers like Andrew Reberry because I've hesitated, say, 10 min or so.

My point being: you're not alone and if you want to play it safe (and save some tears), only do whois lookups when you have the dough to actually buy those names.
I second that. I only whois these days, better safe than sorry. It is true that not all registrars are created equal. Speaking of Godaddy for example, I've called in and asked a few questions. The support openly admits that their system is not designed to cater to the "pro domaining". As Allie saying she couldn't grab the domains she wanted on GD. I have ran into that unavailable scenario more times than I can count. By the time GD catches up to ICANN release time, someone has already scooped the name(s) up. In this business seconds make the difference.

Last edited:
•••
SN: Very possible, let me put it this way, dynadot have one of my domains on sedo, so they are trying to sell a domain they do not even have access to. That's the sort of company dynadot are, so I have no doubt they are actively looking for domains to sell themselves.. I was onto their support yesterday who denied all knowledge. So they are either lying or have sold it to someone who doesn't actually own it anymore (because it has been moved to another registrar and I have full control). I have not placed the domain in sedo and would be delighted for sedo to check the logged IP's). You see dynadot didn't know Nominet had returned the domain to me so they were still the registrar, I logged into my dynadot account and the nameservers will transfer (this means I see the nameservers dynadot were using when they had control) so when dynadot stole it they had every intention of selling it themselves, just like your example.

Nominet look to have been in touch I didn't see any .uk domain auctions on dynadot this morning.

I had been using them for a while but you can't use a registrar who is actively seeking take your domains away. I feel sorry for the other people dynadot have done this to who did not know you can simply contact Nominet to get the name back (there is a £12 registrar change fee each time though). I was told by Nominet to move my domains away from dynadot let me put it that way.
Marko, were the domains in question hand regs or did you obtain them from a previous owner? Sometimes the nameservers will stay the same unless you manually change them after a push. As well as on auction sites, I run into that from time to time. The auction site needs to be informed of your new ownership and they can take them down for you. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this, if this what you say is indeed true and not a misunderstanding, then thats some real shady business.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back