Domain Empire

Dynadot Auction Terms - Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
I did not find any threads about the Dynadot bidding system.

Is anybody here willing to explain to and can shed some light on why they like their system? I missed a few dropped names over a period of time, noticed they had won and decided to get an account and buy because they grabbed them. But I find it strange to see they then have these expired domain auctions where bids are NOT final, sale is not final, yet they bill you.

With MOST normal auctions and companies- bid's are final, seller, buyer and auctioneer agree and that is that. As-is, where-is, all faults, pay take your goods and that's that. If it has a reserve, it does not sell. With domains, someone "forgets" to renew- ooops. Oh, well- tough. The previous domain registrant had multiple notices, emails, and this huge delay in pending delete period. The system works.

But with Dynadot , you receive an paid invoice stating AFTER you buy waste your time bidding on it it isn't yours yet even though they charge your credit card. This email they send you some canned email invoice as a follow up email stating the previous owner may in fact re-register it, as "they give them additional time".

Now, I get a notice stating that the previous owner re-registered the name.

And, they are not giving me a refund, but a credit. Great, thanks. Love to do more business like this. lol.

Bottom line. With a system like this, who is to say that the previous owner or his representative wasn't some shill bidding against you to see the price of the domains value to someone else, then decides to re-register it.

Unbelievable.

It's not the money, nor the domain- whoopee. I could see this happening over and over with high value domains and sure would like to hear any opposing views from anyone about why they like such a auction system. If you think I am full of it, say so. I'd like to be entertained.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey @Silentptnr or @MapleDots anybody help me with this?
I want to bump this up since posted early am, to see if any input. You guys are talking about this make offer thing, how about wasting time bidding and then not getting the name?

•••
That is common to most auctions. I tend to use godaddy auctions for expiring domains or snapnames to snap up the occasional domain. I use canspace to grab expiring .ca domains.

In most cases if the owner is made aware they may still have limited time to renew their domain. It costs the owner but they can recover it if they want.

I let a domain expire on purpose to see what it would bid up to on godaddy, if it had bid up I would have paid the fee to recover it. Most domains expiring at auction have oblivious owners so you don't often run into that scenario but when you do they usually refund your money.

Unfortunately expiring auctions sometimes create a buzz that is more exciting than regular listings. Domainers are figuring this out and are letting domains expire on purpose to see how much buzz they can create. Pay the fee and your domain comes back.

Its not right, but it is done.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry Admin about the wrong forum location. Most auctions, that's news to me. hmmm, I need to check further on that- once a drop occurs, it's done, or at least with my experience on 3 other venues. I have not read any fine print before that stated that. Ok, well I've never had an issue with Godaddy or a couple other platforms before. This new discovery, I am glad to find it out- that's that. I checked whois and the game you mentioned was most likely being played as it was a domainer with quite a few names. Lo que sea. So free up to date market appraisals by letting domains drop to auction. Wow, how lame that it is. I mean, what kind of business person operates like this, wannabes, amateurs, shade tree mechanics, scammers. I know his name and where he is to avoid in the future, just need to know if he is here on Namepros.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back