IT.COM

advice DropCatch Backorders

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Junglist101

Established Member
Impact
I've never used DropCatch before until yesterday. I had a long browse through some keywords I typed in, and discovered 2 names I really liked. One of them had an Estibot appraisal over a little over $2k, and the second domain over $30k!
I put down the $59 backorder, and they are set to drop in 2-3 days. But this seems too good to be true, what is the likelihood that there will be no other competition for these names, and how are your experiences with grabbing decent names there on backorder?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The $30K one will surely go to auction. I can say that even without knowing the name. On the second one, hard to say without knowing what it is. Since you are putting $59, you of course have a better chance than using the backorder club, but still, the competition is hard with these public auction backorders.

•••
The chances are very nearly if not 0. These days, I would say it is impossible to be the sole backorderer of an obviously good name. Thousands of people sift through drop lists and a lot of them filter by estibot valuation. (btw a $30k estibot evaluation doesn't necessarily mean that the name is great, but it is likely to be great. This is why people use estibot to filter domains, rather than judge the values of the names themselves).

I've tried it before. I've skipped the obvious 4Ls, one words etc. and went for two worders which don't come on top of ANY filters (such as TLDs regged, monthly searches, evaluation, age etc.) but they ALL inevitably go to auction and sell for hundreds.

I can only conclude that trying to snatch good names for cheap via dropcatch is a futile effort.

•••
The $30K one will surely go to auction. I can say that even without knowing the name. On the second one, hard to say without knowing what it is. Since you are putting $59, you of course have a better chance than using the backorder club, but still, the competition is hard with these public auction backorders.
I guessed as much lol, we shall wait and see.. But I don't have expectations that I will grab it.

•••
The chances are very nearly if not 0. These days, I would say it is impossible to be the sole backorderer of an obviously good name. Thousands of people sift through drop lists and a lot of them filter by estibot valuation. (btw a $30k estibot evaluation doesn't necessarily mean that the name is great, but it is likely to be great. This is why people use estibot to filter domains, rather than judge the values of the names themselves).

I've tried it before. I've skipped the obvious 4Ls, one words etc. and went for two worders which don't come on top of ANY filters (such as TLDs regged, monthly searches, evaluation, age etc.) but they ALL inevitably go to auction and sell for hundreds.

I can only conclude that trying to snatch good names for cheap via dropcatch is a futile effort.

Both of mine are 2 word domains. The 30k domain is actually still up on Afternic for around the same price. So instead of using DropCatch, do you have any suggestions? I do like ExpiredDomains myself, it has a great filter

Last edited:
•••
Both of mine are 2 letter word domains. The 30k domain is actually still up on Afternic for around the same price. So instead of using DropCatch, do you have any suggestions? I do like ExpiredDomains myself, it has a great filter

2 letter word domains? Do you mean 2 word domains?

I'm not sure what you're asking suggestions for. If a domain is good, you can bet dropcatch will catch it. It has got a higher chance of catching a domain than all the other catchers combined. If it doesn't, one of the others will, but people usually backorder at all the services to cover themselves. In other words: if a domain is good, it will go to auction. Period.

•••
2 letter word domains? Do you mean 2 word domains?

I'm not sure what you're asking suggestions for. If a domain is good, you can bet dropcatch will catch it. It has got a higher chance of catching a domain than all the other catchers combined. If it doesn't, one of the others will, but people usually backorder at all the services to cover themselves. In other words: if a domain is good, it will go to auction. Period.

Yeah, I've just woken up! My bad I did mean 2 word domains. Thanks for the insight Lord Antares

•••
Yeah, I've just woken up! My bad I did mean 2 word domains. Thanks for the insight Lord Antares

No problem. Glad to help.

I also love expireddomains.net. It's one of the most useful websites ever. I've managed to earn some money just by using that site right but nothing much.

It's great to search for everything you want: marketplaces, drops, closeouts, stats etc. but won't ever find gems significantly underpriced; I can tell you that right now to save you time.

•••
No problem. Glad to help.

I also love expireddomains.net. It's one of the most useful websites ever. I've managed to earn some money just by using that site right but nothing much.

It's great to search for everything you want: marketplaces, drops, closeouts, stats etc. but won't ever find gems significantly underpriced; I can tell you that right now to save you time.

So I backordered 3 names, the one I expected to nab the easiest went to auction, and the other 2 I secured! That means the name I was awarded that has an Estibot of over 30k (it is actually 55k) I now own.. However, this is an Estibot appraisal, I think I need to get it evaluated properly. That was a huge surprise though this morning.

•••
So I backordered 3 names, the one I expected to nab the easiest went to auction, and the other 2 I secured! That means the name I was awarded that has an Estibot of over 30k (it is actually 55k) I now own.. However, this is an Estibot appraisal, I think I need to get it evaluated properly. That was a huge surprise though this morning.

That means it has little to no value.

•••
That means it has little to no value.

Here's the thing though. I've checked around on Sedo, Flippa and Godaddy, and the domain I own has lesser versions of it selling at $1-5k - I own the (dot) com, and it's a 2 keyword domain. I understand that those listings haven't actually sold yet, but I did check namebio, and it could be that my domain is worth somewhere between 5-10k

•••
Also I typed in my domain in Dynadot, and the .club version of it is not registered, but the price to register it is over $1,700

•••
Also I typed in my domain in Dynadot, and the .club version of it is not registered, but the price to register it is over $1,700

The registration price means nothing. We cannot help you evaluate whether you got lucky or ripped off until you share the domain name with us.

•••
The registration price means nothing. We cannot help you evaluate whether you got lucky or ripped off until you share the domain name with us.

I don't expect the value to be close to the Estibot appraisal at all, I do take those with a pinch of salt. Ido try and use them as a rough guide to then look deeper into things. I bought the domain for $59, so I would imagine it has more value than that. It's CoinCollection(dot)com

•••
Using DomainIQ.com, it doesn't appear that CoinCollection in king dropped recently. The same owner that has had it for many years -- NEXT NAVIGATION PTY LTD of Australia – recently renewed it for 5 more years. Are you certain that is the name you picked up?

•••
It's available for sale at Uniregistry for $39K.

•••
CoinCollection is a good name, but as media code said, that name doesn't look like it dropped recently. Are you sure it's not a misspell?

•••
Dropcatch seems to be a waste. I was the sole bidder (backorder-er) on a domain. Dropcatch then puts it to auction. So they grab it on one persons interest (knowing they will pay), then auction it off. No point pledging the $ with them

•••
Forget your domain it is going to public auction even if you the solo bidding, they are ugly

•••
I usually backorder elsewhere without issue and for less. If something fails it’s likely at auction because a lot of people wanted it. There are some gems to be had especially in brandables.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back