UDRP DRLL.com loses a UDRP to DELL.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Dell_Logo.png

Read this on Domain Gang

The domain DRLL.com was registered in 1998, and now Dell has claimed it via the UDRP process.

Visually, the two domains DRLL.com and DELL.com are 75% identical, but what’s more important is how Drll.com was used as a parked domain, taking advantage of the proximity of letters “E” and “R” on the keyboard.

Apparently, Drll.com forwarded to an Amazon affiliate page extracting results for Dell products. That seems to have triggered the wrath of the computer manufacturing giant.

https://domaingang.com/domain-law/d...65234c87ef2af077639f9ad6a8d358#comment-138408

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The first thing I see in the word actually is drill but without the i.

Totally agree with you Bob. When I saw this name for the first time I was thinking about «DRILL». I don't see anything wrong with the name. I don't have any product in mind when I read it. I guess the problem comes from what the owner did with it. Definitely not a good move. It is like trying to make a profit from Apple products with name «APPL» which can also means «APPEAL». Just don't play with it would be a good idea.

•••
I may be wrong on this. But, when it was pointing to Dell products in the Amazon marketplace, it was increasing Dell's popularity and presence, and who might know, many people might have bought Dell's products through Amazon using his link, which means good business to Dell. And he was getting his share on affiliate sales. All the 3 parties involved should be happy. I don't understand what made Dell be so upset about it.
While what you say makes common sense, and I agree, that is not how the UDRP rules and precedents view it. It does seem strange, that after doing nothing for year after year, they launched this. I suspect there was some reason we do not fully know.

Re your point that they make money off it so what is the problem, it was set up, allegedly, so that at least now and then it went to a Dell affiliate page and at other times a competitor page (HP). However the ruling pointed out that even if it went always and only to the complainant (Dell) site it still would not constitute legitimate use unless Dell controlled it.
"Likewise, using a confusingly similar Domain Name in a manner over which a complainant has no control does not qualify as a bona fide offering of goods or services for the purposes of Policy ¶ 4(c)(i) or as a legitimate noncommercial or fair use for the purposes of Policy ¶ 4(c)(iii), even if it resolves to the complainant’s own web site."
(i.e. pointing a domain name to a TM holders site does not amount to legitimate use of the domain name).

Just to review the 3 requirements of any UDRP.
(1) the Domain Name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which Complainant has rights; and
(2) Respondent has no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the Domain Name; and
(3) the Domain Name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.
In this case the decision is that (1) was satisfied because DRLL is confusingly similar to Dell in their mind, citing as the precedent that OmahaSteaks (a TM) and OmahaStecks.com (a domain) were confusingly similar. So the new precedent that future panels can use is that DRLL and Dell are confusingly similar.

In the case of (2) the panelist decided, as other previous UDRP panels have, that by not responding to the UDRP that the condition for (2) was met essentially without any further proof. Incidentally, to my knowledge there is no confirmation that the notice even got to the domain holder. Was he away for an extended period? In a medical emergency? etc. for the 20 days? The notice was sent by email and post. There could be bona fide reasons for no response, and at least one other UDRP moved a domain name when in fact the 18 year long owner had never received the notice due to world travel and an old email address (after a legal battle the courts reversed that decision). Now it is probable that he just saw it as hopeless but I do not think any of us know that.

So that left (3) registered and used in bad faith. The discussion there is very long, and although UDRP have 4 ways it might be proven, that is a non-exclusive list so essentially panels have some freedom. While arguing that some of the ways of looking at it were not bad faith, in the end they argued that at the time of registration the similarity must have been known, partly supported by the fact that at least occasionally it directed people to Dell or its competitors. From what is in the written report it is not clear to me at least whether the direction to Dell and competitors came from a deliberate setting that as forwarding or simply sometimes the professional parking that was employed for years naturally directed visitors to those sites. It is not clear that more than one case of each was proven, although there probably were many more. It shows the danger of parking that you do not control where the ads may take the person.

I am sorry to write at such length but there was earlier complaint that I was focussing on one of the three factors.
I'm a little bit lost on why you keep focusing on one element of the judgement
The reason I do that is it seems to me going from OmahaSteaks case to DRLL was a huge change in precedent that any UDRP panel going forward can cite. It is something domain owners should at least take notice of. The other two elements in this case (no response means 2 is proven and targeted ads are bad faith) seemed in so many other previous cases that I did not see the need to write much about them. Anyway, that is my answer.

It seems to me that there is a steady rise in UDRP cases per year. While one might interpret this as more domain names or more abuse of domain names, another interpretation is that each time a UDRP panel widens an interpretation it leads to more cases that would not otherwise come forward.

Just as the BCG case earlier this year (a URS rather than UDRP strictly speaking) seemed a huge widening of interpretation, that other domain bloggers wrote about at the time, this seems a similar case to me. I do accept as a good point the argument made by @BaileyUK that there should not be a firm line in number of characters to be exempt.
But what are the panelists supposed to do, ignore four letter domains, Make three letters strictly out of bounds also. Why not push it to five letters.
To me the two words DRLL and Dell are not similar enough, but clearly the panelist decided otherwise.

Bob

•••
•••
He lost because he didn’t fight it. He had little or no control over the parking ads. I’ve seen situations where the ads are being paid for by the very company that sent the “Cease and Desist!” A simple PPC landing page isn’t enough by itself to show bad faith use of the domain. Most of you are making the wrong conclusion from the result, a posteriori.

But, if this result makes you fearful of creating landing pages for your domains with or without PPC that just leaves less competition for those of us that aren’t afraid.
All PPC on parked pages show competing products, that's the point of targeted marketing.

Anyway, there are those who fear parking their domains with PPC ads, and fear even landing pages...can't help 'em...and those who do not have such unfounded fears, and go about their business which is the business of maximizing parking revenues and selling domains. These two activities need not work against each other.

•••
I think there are many typo and same pronunciation English words.
What I see is two words doesn’t sound similar.
DRLL and DELL.
If this type of typo is under scanner,then there may b many to come.
Just my opinion,not an expert though
Thanks
DpakH

•••
Back in the day, probably till 2012 or 2013 Amazon commissions used to be quite exceptional.

If someone went to Amazon.com through your referral, your cookie would be in his browser for next seven days. So whatever he bought during that time, you would get commission. There were people who marketed small birthday gifts, got commissions for huge products like diamond rings etc. I am sure he have made much more than $100 a month during that period.

Also, the traffic he got to his website drll.com was very targeted one who were looking to buy, so I am sure conversion rate must be much higher(above 10-15%?).

His current Alexa rank is 3,725,040. I am wondering he would be getting much more traffic when browsers weren't this smart and people used to type in the URL instead of using Google.

•••
I'd say based on my many years of experience with typos this domain made way more than $100 per month.

I had one that generated over $30k over it's lifetime and I worked with a guy who had an even better typo that made over $90k per month.

I'd guess this typo made over $1 million but of course I could be wrong.

•••
I'd guess this typo made over $1 million but of course I could be wrong.

Brad, seriously?

And it's raining dollars, let me go outside and pick some up. :xf.laugh:

PS. If that were the case the owner would have fought like hell to keep the domain.

•••
•••
•••
It's still parked on an AdSense site that won't even load in

•••
Your assumption is wrong..not being ranked and getting traffic is two different things. It has no correlation. I can guarantee you he got several hundred typo visitors everyday. Probably a whole lot more back in the days...

I don't think the name had traffic...

It is not ranked on Alexa and that is pretty good indicator that it is probably under 1 visitor per day. With 50-300 visits per year, I doubt he made much. Maybe, couple of bucks per month.

•••
Your assumption is wrong..not being ranked and getting traffic is two different things. It has no correlation. I can guarantee you he got several hundred typo visitors everyday. Probably a whole lot more back in the days...

You can't guarantee a zilch, you have zero data to back that up. How many domains do you have getting few hundred typo visitors a day that don't rank on Alexa?!

•••
Enough would be a good term.

You can't guarantee a zilch, you have zero data to back that up. How many domains do you have getting few hundred typo visitors a day that don't rank on Alexa?!

•••
•••
Understandable that he lost it for that reason.

•••
All PPC on parked pages show competing products, that's the point of targeted marketing.

Anyway, there are those who fear parking their domains with PPC ads, and fear even landing pages...can't help 'em...and those who do not have such unfounded fears, and go about their business which is the business of maximizing parking revenues and selling domains. These two activities need not work against each other.

I'm guilty of this. I haven't used parking in years due to getting 2-3 trademark claims (small unknown businesses) and 1 UDRP case in one year. Once I cut off parking, I've had 0 trademark claims and 0 UDRP cases in over 5 years. For me, it's been a relief concentrating on the sales.

Luckily I just lost 2 out of the 4 domains in the one UDRP and the 2 I lost were domains I would have likely dropped eventually anyway (e-enterprise.com & eenterprise.net). I've worked with enterprise business systems for close to 20 years, and have over 100 domains that start with "e", so I never related these to the rental car company when I registered them. But the main reason I lost them is because "rental car" ads were shown, rather than ads for business services, even though I never specified that rental car ads should be shown.

If I compare the above to a domain I sold a couple months back for $15k, I would have been sick if I lost that to a similar claim. It was a brandable domain that had 1 active but unused trademark in the US. Years after purchasing the domain, I realized that there was a trademark filed in the EU by a second company a month prior to my purchase of the domain. The company that ended up buying the domain for $15k subsequently filed a 3rd trademark for the term in a totally unrelated field to the other 2 trademarks.

Around 2010, with about 2,300 domains I had been getting over $1,000 per month in parking revenue. That slowly deteriorated to about $250 per month due to lower payouts. By 2014 I had grown the domains to over 4,000, but the parking revenue was still only $600 or so per month.

The problem I found is that many parking companies automate your ads regardless of keywords you specify. I determined that if the parking company happens to be targeting an industry similar to the trademark holder, it would cause some problems for me. If you use a service that doesn't do this, then I could see that helping to avoid any trademark claims, but for me I still like the easy path.

Plus, thinking back to optimizing the keywords for those 4,000 domains...that was a huge waste of time for me. I can't tell you how many times I spent 5-10 hours on optimizing keywords or landing pages only to have it result in a marginal difference the next month. Maybe others have different experience, but for me it was really hard to get it over $1k per month and keep it there.

I still have a handful of domains that make $50-$100 per month total from parking, but for everything else I've tried to push the leasing options more and now that has grown to a little over $2,000 per month from recurring payments.

Last edited:
•••
To be fair, given the way the domain was being used, it seems like a sensible ruling.

•••
I have a few 4 letter .coms, some of them actually pretty good pronounceable.

Funny I get virtually NIL in traffic according to google analytics

I understand drll is a misspell of a popular domain but I am going to side with @Recons.Com on this one.

Number one reason for my decision....

The owner would have fought like hell to keep it if the domain made any serious money.

•••
I haven't used parking in years due to getting 2-3 trademark claims (small unknown businesses) and 1 UDRP case in one year. Once I cut off parking, I've had 0 trademark claims and 0 UDRP cases in over 5 years. For me, it's been a relief concentrating on the sales.
Thank you for a superbly grounded and logical contribution @Namebuyer. The part I highlighted really resonated with me. For a very little while I tried using parking (discovering in most cases it brought literally pennies). But when I discovered that in many services I have no way to fully control the presented ads, and then read UDRP cases where even names that I saw no association with TMs were challenged and sometimes lost, for peace of mind it does not seem to me worthwhile to do parking, in most cases, anymore. I place value on not worrying about getting a legal letter and as you say time put into setting the keywords to optimize parking can be spent on other domain activities.

Just to be clear - I am not saying don't use parking. Each of us decides what is right for us and our domain names. I am just expressing a personal view of why I do not use parking. Peace of mind.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The owner would have fought like hell to keep it if the domain made any serious money.
Possibly, although I think some may definitely not want to be involved in a legal dispute with a big company, and therefore they view the easiest as not to respond at all and just give up the domain name.

Also, I believe we do not know for certain that the notice was received. Yes, it was emailed to the various contacts of record (for some those are the same) and a written letter was sent. There has been at least one case where due to circumstances the owner never received notice and the domain was moved. Yes, he probably got the notice and decided not to fight it, but I don't think we are sure.

Bob

•••
I place value on not worrying about getting a legal letter and as you say time put into setting the keywords to optimize parking can be spent on other domain activities.

This is exactly true. I probably put 30 hours into defending those 2 domains in the UDRP and it worked out. The next one will probably only take me 10 hours to defend based on all the research and cases I found the first time around.

But I'd rather avoid wasting time like this again. Did Enterprise really care about my domains? Probably not. They just hired a legal firm that is trolling the waters looking for easy violations. If you steer clear of the hooks, you're less likely to reeled-in during one of their legal campaigns.

The legal firm was literally doing copy and paste UDRP filings. My complaint had someone else's domain name listed that the legal firm accidentally forgot to "paste" my domain name over. They probably just file new UDRPs each week and collect ongoing legal fees from Enterprise as part of some "brand protection" budget.

Now I have nearly double the domains that I had back then and have had 0 claims (informal or UDRP) in the 5 years since.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back