NameSilo

.mobi dotMobi's Neil Edwards slams the critics of the .mobi domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great article, thanks for posting and contributing to the .mobi community.

I liked the comment about .mobi splitting the internet in two. I think .mobi is just the natural evolution of the internet. Are more people buying desktop computers or mobile phones? People will no longer wait to get home or back to the office to check email and access web based information.

The note about having 120,000 registrants shows that this landrush was very broad.

•••
Just noticed that registerer of LiveNews.mobi was non other than MS themselves! I guess they feel good enough in the future of .mobi to splurg on names too!! :)

•••
what else is he gonna say ... most of these corporations

spent thousands on lawyers chasing domain squatters ...

for peanuts they save themselves the headache with

.mobi registrations ... get real.

:)

•••
hawkeye said:
Just noticed that registerer of LiveNews.mobi was non other than MS themselves! I guess they feel good enough in the future of .mobi to splurg on names too!! :)

Cool....

First name i bought was LiveFootball.mobi so maybe bill and me are starting to sing from the same hymn sheet :)

•••
One of the most ludicrous arguments of .mobi critics, especially those on various domain forums, I've seen is that its all a "money grabbing" scheme to milk the registrants of their hard-earned cash....Lets examine this:

Suppose things go extremely well for .mobi registry and there are 5 million registrations in next couple of years. In general, the registry's cut from each registration is around a buck or buck and a half...so lets be generous and say that .mobi registry earns $8M and after expenses a net profit of $5M/year....So, now this will be divided among all of its investors like Microsoft, Google, Nokia, Vodafone, Erricson and others....Wow, almost half a million dollars for each every year...!!! Got the point..??

•••
Binfus said:
One of the most ludicrous arguments of .mobi critics, especially those on various domain forums, I've seen is that its all a "money grabbing" scheme to milk the registrants of their hard-earned cash....Lets examine this:

Suppose things go extremely well for .mobi registry and there are 5 million registrations in next couple of years. In general, the registry's cut from each registration is around a buck or buck and a half...so lets be generous and say that .mobi registry earns $8M and after expenses a net profit of $5M/year....So, now this will be divided among all of its investors like Microsoft, Google, Nokia, Vodafone, Erricson and others....Wow, almost half a million dollars for each every year...!!! Got the point..??
Some registrars are getting more than a buck a reg... like moniker charging $12.99/year for .mobi and another registrar chargin $24.95/yr per .mobi (2 year min for both)

•••
DNWizardX9 said:
Some registrars are getting more than a buck a reg... like moniker charging $12.99/year for .mobi and another registrar chargin $24.95/yr per .mobi (2 year min for both)
Thats true....but registrars had nothing to do with conceiving the idea of .mobi tld, sponsoring it and applying for it. The registry charges the same flat fee per domain to all registrars and does not get any cut from their profits. So, as such the income for the registry remains a buck or two for each registered domain and then in the case of .mobi this sum would cover for all the registry expenses and then the "savings" would be divided among all 13 or so investors.....the main point I was trying to make is simply this: Does anyone in his right mind think that industry giants like Microsoft and Google would cook up all this .mobi thing to fetch a few hundred thousand (or even a few million) dollars each?

•••
Binfus said:
Thats true....but registrars had nothing to do with conceiving the idea of .mobi tld, sponsoring it and applying for it. The registry charges the same flat fee per domain to all registrars and does not get any cut from their profits. So, as such the income for the registry remains a buck or two for each registered domain and then in the case of .mobi this sum would cover for all the registry expenses and then the "savings" would be divided among all 13 or so investors.....the main point I was trying to make is simply this: Does anyone in his right mind think that industry giants like Microsoft and Google would cook up all this .mobi thing to fetch a few hundred thousand (or even a few million) dollars each?
ok i thought you meant the registrar like godaddy.com etc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back