IT.COM

news DotDB Shutting Down or Not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Got this email from DotDB.

Website Shutting Down Notification

⚠ We have decided to shut down dotDB.com, and the website will stop operation on March 31, 2023. We no longer accept new members and subscriptions, effective from now. Please contact support at [email protected] if you need a refund for the unusable period of your subscriptions after March 31, 2023.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why they are shutting it down? It was a useful website for millions of domainers. Is domain industry itself is SINKING?

•••
Just because a business is shutting down , it doesn't mean the entire industry is in some trouble , as long as we use mobiles and etc to be online , this industry only expands

•••
If you think domain industry is sinking and want to get rid of your domains please contact me lol

for the right price i'll buy them xD

•••
Bummer. I really like their site.

•••
oh no. I use it every day especially the bulk search tool. What alternatives do we have now?

•••
Kindly discard that email as the service is not shutting down. I'm in touch with the owner, and he assured me it's not closing. I can not share the exact reason behind that email, but rest assured that the service is not going offline.

•••
lol some of u just woke up..domaining is dying slow death.....sales.. everything... dotdb had crap extension taken counts..use uniregistry for that... it's all it's good for anyway

•••
DotDB is NOT shutting down.

Just had a call with the owner.
More info will be officially announced by the DotDB.com team soon.

•••
Kindly discard that email as the service is not shutting down. I'm in touch with the owner, and he assured me it's not closing. I can not share the exact reason behind that email, but rest assured that the service is not going offline.
Good news to hear. It does raise a good question of if this actually comes to fruition someday, what are the current alternatives? Do any of them exist?

•••
Last edited:
•••

dotDB - Website Shutting Down Notification​

That email came from dotdb.com

•••

dotDB is NOT Shutting Down!​

Just got this from dotdb.com

•••
And now this new email. What on Earth is going on?

dotDB is NOT Shutting Down!​

Dear dotDBers,

We would like to clarify that some of our users have received an email from a spammer stating that dotDB is shutting down. This is absolutely NOT true. Please just ignore the fake announcement and Reset your password if you haven't done so after January 28.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
Thank God, it is mischievous work of a spammer. DotDB is not shutting down. It is official.

•••
Looks like that was a fake email. Sorry everyone!

It looked like it came from DotDB.com and I only used that account for domain logins.

•••
Yeah, it's a fake notification. I talked to Ken too (the owner of dotdb) - all works as before, no shutting down.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I can not share the exact reason behind that email

It's pretty simple; servers were hacked, "shutting down" emails were sent to all users via the administration panel, and someone stole the database with all the information.

That's why they're asking for a password reset.

•••
I received an email from db , saying We Are Not Shutting Down !

I knew better when I first heard db was shutting down , db is legendary , and that dog still has plenty fight left .

•••
It's pretty simple; servers were hacked, "shutting down" emails were sent to all users via the administration panel, and someone stole the database with all the information.

If you find out who the hackers are , tell them to come knock on my front door , or, send me their names and locs, Gawd knows they have my home address, This would be the 5th time my information will have been stolen , the last time , I won’t say the site hack, but a person used my address in the commission of a crime . That not long ago. Then I get a phone call from Fed law enforcement concerning the use of my address , hackers do not care about innocent people apparently .

But I have no confirmation from db of a hack taking place , and we don’t want another rumor spreading.

•••

You can think whatever you want but I know what has happened behind the scenes but can not share it.
Once again, feel free to assume what you would like to :xf.wink:

•••
If you find out who the hackers are

It's not my duty to catch criminals.

If you want to question someone, you can contact the dotdb owners who are responsible for protecting the users' data.

You can think whatever you want but I know what has happened behind the scenes but can not share it.

One way or another, there is a serious security negligence.

They wouldn't have requested a password reset if it wasn't really a critical situation.

•••
Wouldn't be surprised if GoDaddy were sniffing around after their next acquisition.

•••
It's not my duty to catch criminals.

If you want to question someone, you can contact the dotdb owners who are responsible for protecting the users' data.

One way or another, there is a serious security negligence.

They wouldn't have requested a password reset if it wasn't really a critical situation.
Easy , Security Negligence is pretty strong language , any way , I am sure whatever it is , db will send out emails when they are able to release information regarding what ever it that happened to the website

•••
Back