Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

KunKon

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Hi,
Please appraise dotcom.net, does it's worth?
In my opinion, the .com and the .org have more value than the .net.

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yes certainly... dotcom.com would be worth quite alot... as for dotcom.net, its quite contradictory :P I'd say low to mid $$ (Reseller)

•••
Thank 1NiteStand, but a bit confuse, I try to make an offer for the .net on Sedo, but the seller required minimum offer must be 10k???

•••
The owner of the domain can list it for any price they want, in this case, the owner want's atleast 10k.. :)

•••
•••
I try to make an offer for the .net on Sedo

Did you mean the .com? You own the .net already

•••
It makes no sense. Not even registration fee in my opinion

•••
Seller can ask for any price but it will never sale :P

•••
Thanks all!
I just make a test for other category of domain.
We are focusing on three category : keyword domain, brandable domain, and numeric domain (value of numeric domain is rising up day by day, but I'm not see it can be developed).

Besides three categories above, hacked domain also received a lot of attention, but its value is usually bad luck.

According on Namebio, I see a lot of name with 'dot' prefix, so I make a test. Begin with the phrase 'dotcom', because it's the umbrella of dot world :).

The dotcom.com was created 1994, currently own by NetworkSolution, a big company, so I think the dotcom.com is worth.
Next step I check the dotcom.net, it's was created 1996, own by an individual, parking at Sedo, and if not have 10k, I can't make an offer for this domain. Very confused, very suspiciously, so I posted here to consult your opinion.

Thank you once again.

•••
I also have holidaydot.com and dronesdot.com, if you're interested feel free to contact me :)

•••
I also have holidaydot.com and dronesdot.com, if you're interested feel free to contact me :)
Haha, thank you! Hope it's also 'free' as I feel !

•••
It makes no sense. Not even registration fee in my opinion

I think this is post is a little near sighted. You haven't supported any reason behind your opinion and the OP deserves that if you are going to share it.

DotCom as a domain phrase I instantly think of a website themed for coding or some kind of program development.

So whilst I have no clue as to it's value, it can make sense if you are creative enough and I don't think this one takes an artistic genius to consider what this domain could be.

Regarding the domain itself, it looses something when it becomes a .net, it may be a confusing one to remember.

Best of luck

•••
IMHO, dotcom.net is actually a better domain than dotcom.com. It's DotCom.com that sounds confusing because of the repetition. That said, Dotcom.com could easily command a price of $100–250K or even higher if sold to an end user.

If you look at recent .net sales, the prices are increasing as prices for .coms are getting out of reach. .Net domains typically sell for 10% the price of the equivalent .com, so on that basis, $10K is not that unreasonable. It all depends on the value you can create with the domain.

In the beginning days of the internet .net was supposed be short for "network" and .com for "commercial".

These days, the average person thinks .net is short for "Internet." That's why this combination of "DotCom" and "net" could work really well -- especially for an internet related business. At a glance, it reads like "Dot Com Internet" which could be the basis for some powerful branding.

•••
these names fail the radio test

as dotcom.com would be typed-in as www.com.com and dotcom.net would be www.com.net

so you'd loose traffic to another domain, unless it's spelled out each time during broadcast.

imo...

•••
Biggie, very good point -- that is an important litmus test, no doubt. But for an internet related business, it's the visual / spelling you see on a screen that counts more if you ask me. I doubt this would be a business that would advertising much on radio

•••
IMHO, dotcom.net is actually a better domain than dotcom.com. It's DotCom.com that sounds confusing because of the repetition. That said, Dotcom.com could easily command a price of $100–250K or even higher if sold to an end user.

If you look at recent .net sales, the prices are increasing as prices for .coms are getting out of reach. .Net domains typically sell for 10% the price of the equivalent .com, so on that basis, $10K is not that unreasonable. It all depends on the value you can create with the domain.

In the beginning days of the internet .net was supposed be short for "network" and .com for "commercial".

These days, the average person thinks .net is short for "Internet." That's why this combination of "DotCom" and "net" could work really well -- especially for an internet related business. At a glance, it reads like "Dot Com Internet" which could be the basis for some powerful branding.

Thanks zenon,
But I think the .net isn't more value than the .com and the org. DotCom.com stands for "Dot Com Companies" and DotCom.org stands for "Dot Com Organizations".

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back