Domain Empire

Dot TO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cocaseco

Top Member
Impact
So I may be the last one in the industry to know about these, but I don't see much discussion. There appears to be value and good names left. I recently registered ECOMMERCE.TO. The downside is the $50/year price tag with a 2 drink minimum.

TO is the domain for Tonga and their government wisely allow anyone to register under their ccTLD.

TO is a part of the English language with many words ending in to and it is also a common preposition. TO is also a common reference to the city of Toronto, the 4th largest city in North America.

On Flippa there is a history of some good .TO sales.

Yet you rarely see these being offered for resale. Is it just the high registration fee? Thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Maybe it's because of the above ? :xf.smile:

Your answer is a restatement of my question? Are we getting paid per post here and I missed it? Thanks, but I was really looking for insightful discussion about the pros, or cons, with this domain, over and above the price issue. A $100 price isnt a barrier to entry for many people, sure I may not register 3 or 4 a day. But the level of discussion is not congruent to the possible value.

•••
I remember it was used a lot at the end of the 1990s for free subdomains - e.g. jump.to/[user's-choice]. I used to see the extension as a bit tacky because of this - sort of like people look down on .tk domains. Perhaps that, along with sdsinc's points above, contributes to its lack of mainstream exposure?

•••
ccTLDs that want to become like gTLDs have to be heavily marketed. You see this with .co and .me. The only exception is .io which became popular by word of mouth.

•••
@kubativity Good information thanks. That $100 pricetag is definitely a barrier to entry, but like you said there are some gems. Its like buying the big boy lottery scratch tickets at $20 vs the $1 ones. Some people would never think of buying a $20 scratch game, but if you want to win the big prizes, you have to in the deep end of the pool. I do think one point where I might differ is that If I had sold two domains for a combined $5400, I would take my original cost of $200, double it for a 100 markup (50% margin) and see the other $5000 as something to reinvest in more domains. That would get me 50 more TO.s if I wanted, and I would still be cash flow positive on my P&L, and my inventory on the balance sheet would be higher for a overall more valuable company. Domaining is a funny business where crazy margins are the expectation, often with no concern for traditional business ratios or standards. Thats not necessarily wrong, its just different. I'm probably slower to adopt that philosophy due to my traditional business experience and I know I have had to remind myself of that at times.

•••
Grabbed JPEG.to a few months back, primarily due to its potential as a hack for a jpg to [whatever] converter site or app, that kinda thing [Stack Overflow discussion of jpg vs. jpeg here for those interested].

•••
Is it complicated to transfer .to names in a sale? Do they have to be held at Register.to?

•••
.to are good..I own Mobiles.to as mobile.to registered by a Japanese company/person.at 1997.
after .io .to is hot domain sales at flippa my Mobiles.to is at $205 at flippa auction...easy to transfer within register.to with a provided key.

•••
good choice of .to domains..

•••
the current bid is $1500...on my .to domain..it depends on end users....if they like any name ..they spend on it..
I liked ur cabs.to

•••
I live in Toronto and .to works extremely well.

I tried to sell several hat stores, in Toronto, "hats.to" and I didn't even get as much as a reply. Google doesn't treat .TO as a generic TLD like it does with .IO or .TV:
Google said:
Generic Country Code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs)
Google treats some ccTLDs (such as .tv, .me, etc.) as gTLDs, as we've found that users and webmasters frequently see these more generic than country-targeted. Here is a list of those ccTLDs (note that this list may change over time).

.ad
.as
.bz
.cc
.cd
.co
.dj
.fm
.io
.la
.me
.ms
.nu
.sc
.sr
.su
.tv
.tk
.ws

I think this extension is severely over-valued. These are not intended for anything else except the country of Tonga.

•••
hi..if your domain didn't get sold it doesn't means other domain will not.
check flippa u will see lots of domains are get sold $1000 above
and average of $400 sell.
.to is very friendly with Google search...if you are saying not then why below domains got good Alexa rank which is better than .io and .tv..
  • movie2k.to - Alexa Rank 209
  • anonym.to - Alexa Rank 866
  • kinox.to - Alexa Rank 1266
  • asg.to - Alexa Rank 1999
  • lurkmore.to - Alexa Rank 2659
  • uloz.to - Alexa Rank 2964
  • pho.to - Alexa Rank 4297
  • cpz.to - Alexa Rank 5363
  • goldesel.to - Alexa Rank 5433
  • ilive.to - Alexa Rank 7459
  • demotivators.to - Alexa Rank 9295
  • toukoucity.to - Alexa Rank 10117
  • kkiste.to - Alexa Rank 10605
  • nakadashi.to - Alexa Rank 10828
  • torrent.to - Alexa Rank 11683
websites get success with good seo,marketing and using social media..

and it depends on end user whether they like .to ,.io,.tv,ooo, or .guru.
So bottom line is you never know which domain get sold with high prices..
and I hope you will get a good buyer for your domains...

•••
.to is very friendly with Google search...if you are saying not then why below domains got good Alexa rank which is better than .io and .tv..

You do realize that Alexa rank has nothing to do with Google, right? Alexa is owned by Amazon.

websites get success with good seo,marketing and using social media..
You're correct, but you'll have to do a lot of work to target everywhere outside of Tonga with .TO domains. Would you use a .com.au to target traffic in New York? Of course not. I gave you proof that .TO is not going to rank well outside of Tonga- I didn't just randomly make it up.

and it depends on end user whether they like .to ,.io,.tv,ooo, or .guru.
Sure, there's a buyer for everything. I'm not saying they aren't worth flipping, I'm just saying the end user is going to have very poor results without doing MAJOR MAJOR SEO optimization.

•••
yes seo is the base of any website....
but marketing and social factors are major counts too.
and most of the buyers of .to domains are from Canada.U can cross check it.
I have seen most of the winners are from Canada or US

•••
How many Toronto-based businesses use .to ?
I know one prominent site.

•••
I know one prominent site.

Which site?

How many of us can even name one Toronto-based business period? TD Bank I assume? Can't think of any others.

•••
•••
•••
...I sold Rehab.to yesterday. If you search Rehab in Google, the first page will show the links of
1. Rehabs.com, 2. Wikipedia Page for Rehabilitation, 3. Rehab.ie

.IE is a domain extension for Ireland. Here, ccTLD did not stop this website to rank only in Ireland.

I'm in the US and not only is it not on the first page, but it's not ranking on ANY of the first 10 pages of Google or Yahoo and is in the 70th position on Bing. You can even see here: http://smallseotools.com/keyword-position/

•••
I'm in the US and not only is it not on the first page, but it's not ranking on ANY of the first 10 pages of Google or Yahoo and is in the 70th position on Bing. You can even see here: http://smallseotools.com/keyword-position/

Well, this is what I came to see when I searched for Rehab again now in Google.com.. I live in India.

Attachments

• rehab -.png
    rehab -.png
    156 KB · Views: 11
•••
How do you know?
.to domains are good hacks... A lot of .to domains are getting sold for good prices... The domains I kept in my To Buy list are all gone and are registered by some other domainers within a week and they were all premium keywords...

•••
and they were all premium keywords...

Do you mean that they weren't available at the normal ($50?) price, but had to be registered at a premium?

•••
.to are good my Mobiles.to got $2500 as last bid....but I relisted it....

•••
•••
no previously it was standard listings got 12bids in total....now I relisted with premium one....

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back