NameSilo

opinion Don't get mad at offers you don't like if you don't provide a price

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Casey L

Top Member
Impact
I see this from new members, old members, and people in between. Sellers have a 'make offer' listing for a domain and all they provide is the domain, basic registration info, and then the "serious offers only" at the bottom. An interested buyer will make an offer, and without failure, the seller says "not the price I'm looking for" or something stiff like "stop wasting my time."

I've never been on either side of this interaction, but it bugs the hell out of me watching people get mad at ignorance with their own ignorance. It doesn't matter how experienced either person is, it's not always crystal clear how much a seller wants for a name.

Sellers - don't make it a guessing game, and don't get anal when you get an offer that isn't to your unknown liking. A simple price range or BIN will make things much easier for both parties.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To an extent, I agree...

However, the buyers should know the value of some of these names before placing an offer. I personally have only seen these replies to $$$ offers on LLL.com's and (Chip) LLLL.com's; it's pretty common knowledge that they're not even in the 3 and 4 figure range respectively anymore. Other areas are $$ offers on domains clearly marked with a $500 minimum offer tag in the thread. Offers like that merit a response such as your examples.

•••
i agree with this, and I probably saw the thread that you are referring to. I thought the same thing. If the seller is going to be rude, they should clearly indicate a price range atleast.

As someone who buys quite frequently, I tend to avoid these "make me a offer" threads with no starting point or where the seller clearly has his imaginary "I received an offer of XXX today through email" for a mediocre / average domain. Just the other day, I decided to msg someone who listed a domain. The name was decent. I offered a mid XXX ... he replied 'I have two offers of $7000' ... so I let him know that it's way out of the amount that I would like to pay for the domain.

The next day, he messages me four times in a row to now accept my mid XXX offer, which I had to decline. Why would you go from 7k+ to now want to accept my mid XXX offer ... makes no sense.

I'm not into the game playing on these 'make an offer' threads so I frequent the 'buy now' or 'auction' threads.... OR the make an offer threads that give a starting point.

Last edited:
•••
for short domain LLL , LL and chips, are easy to predict! but for general keywords or 2 , its really hard to estimate, that's why most ppl never know how much his domain worth! but when they give unbelievable price most of buyer always make some excuses! for me personally the problems why most buyer mad simple because the price are to expensive, but on the other hand, buyer never give detail criteria which domain they want! but for some reason I already know, actually they targeting some domain, so the domain request are just pretend and hoping his target domain will come to his inbox, ! its old tac tic I guess :),

anyway, I am just a noob in domain industry so don't take my words seriously! after all its just my 2 cents :)

•••
I totally agree....

If the seller doesn't mention a minimum offer then he/she should not get upset or offended with offers that are way below what he would like.

By not placing a minimum amount the sellers turns it into a "guessing game" so if he/she wants to play the "guessing game" then they must accept the fact that they might get a few low ball offers.

•••
Sometimes people just also forget that they are on a forum mainly with active resellers. These people are gonna try for the best price possible so they can get the most profit. You never know if you don't ask.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back