IT.COM

Domains Worth - .com vs .net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey all,

Based on your experience, what's the worth of a .net in comparisson to a .com domain in terms of percentage? I read online it's approx 10%, but of course, every case varies. I'm just looking for a rough ballpark figure based on statistics and your experience. Is a .net (semi-premium) worth approx 10% of it's .com.

I'm trying to price out a .net of a specific keyword domain where the .com was sold several years back for 75K. I'm guessing the .net is worth approx 10K.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just based on my anecdotal experiences of buying and selling I'd say the percentage is closer to .5% to 2% of .COM's value -- and that's no guarantee of any sort. The demand just isn't as reliable for .NET as it is for .COM, especially with all the new gTLDs available, and it's going to depend on the name as well. A sale of a .COM doesn't necessarily mean the .NET is going to have any premium value.

This question has been debated before. I hope someone comes a long and provides sales data and calculations to answer your question more scientifically.

•••
I had a geo .net domain which at one time was probably priced $1500. .Nets have always been tougher to sell but before new TLDs I would occasionally sell one for low $XXX. With the hundreds of new extensions launched the last few years, .Net has clearly lost value. I tested the effect of gradual price reductions on hundreds of domains and this particular one did not sell until I had it priced at $225. The .COM equivalent is priced by Name Administration at about $40k. You can do the math. However, I would prefer .Net, an extension which has existed for some thirty years and has limited end user acceptance over any new TLD.

•••
It is true that a .net is always less worth than a .com but it also varies upon the case. If you have both the extensions of the domain then you are going to hit big

•••
Funny thing, some name hacks mean different things in com and net.

Example: Inter.com / Inter.net Both worth money with the .net here being more valuable IMO.

•••
I think we will see a resurgence of .net appreciation. It just seems a lot more desirable than some of these new TLDs.

•••
It really depends on the domain, but in general dot nets are worth a very small fraction of the dot com's value.

Most end users want the dot com and buying the same name in dot net leaves you open to losing visits and business to those who will type in and go to the dot com version.

A good rule is to look at how many other extensions the domain is regged in.

If all the other extensions are taken it could mean it is a very popular name or term and could indicate more value.

It is true new tld's have really had an impact on dot nets, not that they were doing that well before, but with all the new choices, selling one has gotten much, much harder.

•••
Based on personal experience, .net is not even comparable to .com. That's not to say that .net domains don't have value. I just don't think there is an exact percentage value compared to .com. I don't think there is ever a time that a person would pick a .net over .com if .com is available. If .com is taken, now people have many choices other than .net that might work better.

•••
Thanks for all of the feedback and responses. I'll play around with pricing on this domain until I find a sweet spot where there's a bit of interest for it!

I'm definitely aware that .net is no where close to being as valuable as .com, I was just looking for some numbers and data (general keyword domains, no 2-3 letter names), as RJ comprehended from my original post.

On a side note, I registered a new name for something yesterday where the .com was taken and namecheap had many options like .co, .online, .me, .site, .shop, etc. I actually took the .net. In my personal opinion, I'm not a fan of other extensions besides .com/.net.

•••
if you look at a 4L.com and a 2L.net you might see an equality but 4L.com and 4L.net are big differences.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back