Domain Empire

question Domains on the blockchain - Anyone registered any?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robert27

Established Member
Impact
Hi - just looking at this. I dont have crypto but perhaps a crypto domain o9r two could be a good investement.

Common sense tells me not to get involved with anything I dont understand, I am not going to do anything at this rate.

Anyway, two things immediately sprang up - you have to claim your domain. How long do you have to do that especially if you dont have any crypto/wallet and more importantly they talk about gas fees or something??

I didnt know British gas were involved in all this, good for them.

Can anyone shed some light.

Many thanks
Bob

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Check out the below

https://unstoppabledomains.com

Type into the search bar here on Namepros "unstoppable domains" for some threads......

Do your own research, come to your own conclusions and don't invest in anything you don't understand.....

Last edited:
•••
•••
Note that OpenSea is an NFT (non-fungible token) platform which includes digital art and blockchain domains. I hold sold .crypto domains in a Trust wallet. Don't register hundreds of these domajns. There is far more supply of domains than demand for them.

•••
Hi - just looking at this. I dont have crypto but perhaps a crypto domain o9r two could be a good investement.

Common sense tells me not to get involved with anything I dont understand, I am not going to do anything at this rate.

Anyway, two things immediately sprang up - you have to claim your domain. How long do you have to do that especially if you dont have any crypto/wallet and more importantly they talk about gas fees or something??

I didnt know British gas were involved in all this, good for them.

Can anyone shed some light.

Many thanks
Bob

I'm not sold on the idea of the crypto domains like .eth .coin .crypto etc. You have to have the browser extension installed to actually connect and make the names work like real domains. Opera and Brave support the conversion natively. But most people aren't set up to use them. I suppose that Chrome and others could build it in, but why would they when it competes with their own domain services?

But I did like the idea of taking a real domain like .xyx and getting it connected to the blockchain. Now I can use my domain name as a proxy for my wallet numbers. This doesn't need a browser extension as nearly all of the wallets, defi apps and most other apps recognize the exchange. So I can just give people my name MyName.xyz and they can send/request payments that way. While the domain name MyName.xyz is linked to a wallet account, the actual traffic to the name redirects wherever I want it to go. I currently have it set to my portfolio.

It was only a couple of months ago that I did a deep dive and figured out that much. I did it and just set it aside because my real life takes over again in August. I know that they planned to enable using .org and another I don't remember in the future. But I haven't been paying attention.

I already owned the domain I used and had to transfer it to another registrar that handles linking the name to the chain. There were a couple of other one-time fees and 'gas' payments like you mentioned. All in I spent about $60 for the permanent connection and I'll have to keep renewing the domain name annually for the regular about $15 per year cost.

If you weren't just joking about gas, it's the fees you pay to record/handle transactions on the blockchain. It's getting increasingly expensive in my limited experience. There are fixes planned and being put into place, but it is making a lot of things expensive to the point of not being worth it for people of limited means.

•••
Thank you garptrader and superdude.. much appreciated. I was initially keen on getting bc domain but Iam a little more cautious now. I think they may ruin it with being too greedy. Watched a couple of videos on unstoppable domains and read some comments and got the impression that the established current domain industry will ultimately not stand by and lose their hold/revenue without a fight. It’s a very unclear picture and a way to run. A speculative gamble I think.

Thanks again... Bob

•••
I'm scratching the earth for a "james" crypto domain

•••
OpenSea.io - NFT domains - .eth - .crypto - etc

ENS.Domains - Hand Register

UnstoppableDomains - .Crypto - .x - .zil - etc

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back