Dynadot

discuss Domaining might be banned because IT is not FAIR.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Abdullah Abdullah

Top Member
Impact
Just logged into my FaceBook and someone posted the following in a domain selling and buying group.

"Let's talk. I think it's really a form of extortion to buy a domain just so you can resell it for lots of money. A new domain registration costs $15 on GoDaddy (or $1 with promo code) so why should I or any other startup business have to come up with hundreds or even thousands of dollars to buy a decent domain off some scalper? I sold a domain once for $6,500 because I was actively using it for my own website but the guy just made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But I can't see how it's right to buy and hold domains you have no intention of using and demand gargantuan sums for them. This way all the good domains are taken up by resellers and only wealthy companies can get them. There's something disturbingly undemocratic about this. I wouldn't be surprised if this practice is eventually banned. Your thoughts?"

What are your thoughts on this ? I am not sure if he posted this here too but lets see everyone's comments.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nothing on earth is fair, so however ...

•••
You were asleep at the wheel when the domain was available for anyone to register on the open market. Now that your awake you want to whine and threaten in order to obtain it. Swing and a miss.

•••
My "Party-like-it's-1999" sales blog has acquired over 700,000 clicks (and growing in numbers each day) since June 2015.

This is with a fairly sucky domain name (albeit descriptive) and absolutely no SEO at all.

Just regular postings with over 1,100 entries. I have also started adding graphics.

So I have no patience for whining and the "woe-is-me" attitude of some folks out there who somehow feel entitled.

•••
My "Party-like-it's-1999" sales blog has acquired over 700,000 clicks (and growing in numbers each day) since June 2015.

This is with a fairly sucky domain name (albeit descriptive) and absolutely no SEO at all.

Just regular postings with over 1,100 entries. I have also started adding graphics.

So I have no patience for whining and the "woe-is-me" attitude of some folks out there who somehow feel entitled.

It just shows how quality is important even if you dont have the right or perfect domain

•••
Companies pay branding agencies hundreds of thousands to come up with names, domaining is no different, we just have the names ready to buy

Quote of the day.

•••
So if I'm understanding this correctly, it's okay for this guy to sell a $10.00 domain for $6,500 but not okay for others to sell them at a profit.

Classic.
Lol right

•••
Wait... You guys aren't giving your domains away?
Lol, right. For some odd reason that's what "they" expect... So I'm assuming land owners should give their land away too...

•••
Lol, right. For some odd reason that's what "they" expect... So I'm assuming land owners should give their land away too...

I've been waiting for some land. Was curious why no one was giving me a hand out. Those bastards.

•••
Domaining is a real business. No one will leave a quality domain unregistered. The right name can send thousand of customers to your online store etc. If someone bought an Apartment in New York for $200,000 in 1988 and Today the market and value increased, bring it to 3 million, then can you go and tell the owner they should give you for $200,000? They are thousands of empty apartments in the city owned by investors from the US, China etc... Most top names were purchased along time ago. If someone registered computer.com for $10 and today they are selling it for millions.. is that wrong, even if they weren't using it? Just because you opened a computer repair shop on (example Street), do you think you deserve the name? Did you know online sales are a major part of most businesses today? And some names get millions of traffic for the keyword, which means it is valued way more than it's initial registration, because that means thousands of customers daily. So who are you to come with this buffoon argument?

Furthermore, alot of names are like art or poetry, it takes creativity and an idea to come up with. That is someones invention basically....It's not like the name was displayed on the from page of the registrar waiting for a registered startup to use it. People have to put in thought, research, creativity, ideas, time etc to comeup with the name,then search and if it's available they register it. If they had alot of resources then alot of domainers would develop names too. That's why some domainers have regret sometimes because they get a personal attachment to names. Because it meant something to them.

•••
Diamonds are made out of carbon and are tiny. They should not cost more than a dollar!

Oh, I forgot that demand-based pricing is used in market economies! :P

•••
Just logged into my FaceBook and someone posted the following in a domain selling and buying group.

"Let's talk. I think it's really a form of extortion to buy a domain just so you can resell it for lots of money. A new domain registration costs $15 on GoDaddy (or $1 with promo code) so why should I or any other startup business have to come up with hundreds or even thousands of dollars to buy a decent domain off some scalper? I sold a domain once for $6,500 because I was actively using it for my own website but the guy just made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But I can't see how it's right to buy and hold domains you have no intention of using and demand gargantuan sums for them. This way all the good domains are taken up by resellers and only wealthy companies can get them. There's something disturbingly undemocratic about this. I wouldn't be surprised if this practice is eventually banned. Your thoughts?"

What are your thoughts on this ? I am not sure if he posted this here too but lets see everyone's comments.

its libtards like this git who thinks a democracy is real!

•••
its libtards like this git who thinks a democracy is real!

Actually it's the rethugs who are the takers of the world.

•••
you know the real estate, not every one can buy every where, everybody can not open in silicon valley, IF any body can't buy what he or she likes, there are many other options available and with marketing and SEO you can be on top and your domain will also be a billion dollar thing.
there are many startups where domain names doesnt mean some thing but they made it big, so i mean that still there are lots of brandable names available, if any can not afford big names they can go for these?
So I must say it is not unfair market. there are still thousands of brandable names available,

Its a business. There are lot of business where the actual cost is very low, and when it comes in the market it become hot cakes. Yes there are exception in some fields.

•••
Diamonds are made out of carbon and are tiny. They should not cost more than a dollar!

Oh, I forgot that demand-based pricing is used in market economies! :P
You nailed it...

•••
These are the people who in the name of startup build a worthless product and chase for investors to fund it.
"hypocrite".

•••
You can suggest him to try these points with real estate people.

Exactly. Tell him to say that when he goes to rent an apartment. Lmaooooo

•••
For many years .pt domains could not be resold, the registrant info could not be changed without authorization. Also, the only way to register one was to have a trademark (the alternative was the .com.pt but almost no one wanted it)... so I only had one .pt domain (and thousands of .com), not worth the trouble of creating ghost companies. The result? Much less development... it took them almost 2 decades to change this policy.
I kept developing dozens of websites on .com and .net
Conclusion: I've seen this happening and it was a big mistake.

Last edited:
•••
Companies pay branding agencies hundreds of thousands to come up with names, domaining is no different, we just have the names ready to buy :)
I would say domainers are quite unorganized regarding pricing of domains in respect to what the real financial benefit of owning the right domain for an end user is. We just might take this as a wakeup-call.

•••
I would say domainers are quite unorganized regarding pricing of domains in respect to what the real financial benefit of owning the right domain for an end user is. We just might take this as a wakeup-call.

While I do agree with you about some domainers being way off on pricing, remember no one is forcing a company \ startup to buy a name we hold.

The value of the "perfect" name is beating all your competitors because your name is just so much better. Almost priceless.

•••
I agree that sometimes when someone knows the company that wants their name, they might hike the price a little bit specially if the company is loaded with cash , having said that , it is almost impossible to have standard pricing in domaining as each domain can be different from another , the same way houses cannot have standard pricing.

•••
I see a BIG problem coming for domaining. BIG! When time travel becomes possible, the first time bandits are going to go back to the earliest days of the internets and reg all the good names like VRabcXYZsex.net

Leave Al Gore's mama alone Time Terminator!

•••
Yes it's a free world.

Commenters like this seem to have difficulty with this.

As long as it's within the laws, anyone has the right to earn their living anyway they see fit.

Nobody has to buy a domain.

For that reason, it's not extortion.

Another assumption that the commenter make, is that great domains cost a fortune.

All of this highlights the scale of the marketing challenge facing domainers.

Perception is truly everything.

Against us are a lot of web designers - failing to point out what they should to their clients, to preserve the money entirely for themselves.

They are setting the perception, and we pay the price.

We have a very tough challenge ahead.

•••
I would not worry. Godaddy spent millions on Berkins, Marchex, and other portfolios.

Do you think they intend on reselling them for reg fee?

I don't think so.

There are a lot of big players in this market that will fight to keep things just the way they are.

I don't think things are going to change any time soon, so relax.

•••
Maybe the government could form a Department of Unused Stuff that could track down and take wasted resources from people who aren't really using them. If it happens, this guy will feel sad when they come to take most of his brain.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back