Domain Empire

advice Domaining and Tax

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kite26

Fearless BirdTop Member
Impact
My question is quite simple. How can i prove my domain income? My accountant asked me if i have the receipts from domain sales.
The problem is that not every company (except for Dan and Sedo) gives a clear receipt of the transaction. You know, the .pdf receipt which i can print it.
How you face it? I suppose that from the time it is not a ''job'', it may bring problems to me.
My main job is on public sector.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let's take my country as an example - the Netherlands (EU).

Individuals doing domaining as a small side business, may declare domaining income, and associated deductible expenses, in the category "income from other work". This is a category will all kinds of side jobs, freelance work, affiliate income, and more. Deducting costs can be done as an individual, but one should not go too crazy with this.

https://www.belastingdienst.nl/bibl...nformatie_2016-inkomsten_uit_overig_werk.html

Translation from that page:

If you do not work as an employee, but earn money, for example as a freelancer or childminder, you must also declare your income from this in your income tax return. No payroll tax has been deducted from this income. We call this 'income from other work'.

You can not make unlimited use of this method of declaration. At a certain point, the tax authorities may state that your domaining activities will take on more serious forms, that you will have to start a company for this, and have to declare it fiscally in that way. Criteria for this have not been laid down exactly, but attention is paid to, among other things, the number of hours you spend on domaining (also in combination with any other work you perform), the number of clients you serve, and the amount of your domaining turnover.

Right i see, i don't own enough domains to do it for a living.

By the end of the year i will probably only own around 12 and I've only bought 2 domain names in 3 years.
Domains to me (while i own some big domains) are just investments, that i can gain or lose with and everyone is entitled to make investments.

But as a self employed person, I am going to look more into this and 'other income'.

Last edited:
•••
paypal has a quarterly report you can request. It shows your purchases and sells. You can also just keep up with it manually with quickbooks or another accountant platform.

i mean its not like a candy store or a convenient store, where you have daily income and daily cost.

Last edited:
•••
I’m still asking my accountant

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back