IT.COM

debate Domain Swaps

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm sure swapping domains has been discussed before but I'm intrigued and would welcome your thoughts on the pro's and con's of swapping domains.

Some immediate thoughts that spring to mind:

PRO's
  • Would help domain investors to diversify their portfolio's
  • Enables you to switch strategy over a shorter term
  • Could help you acquire a name you wouldn't normally be able to purchase, i.e. you trade 5-10 names and get 1 back
  • There is no initial cost
CON's
  • Is there a market for this or do people generally stick with what they hold
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - would this mean striking swap deals is harder to achieve
  • Agreement on a fair barometer, wholesale value or potential retail value
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Is this a viable model?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain swap is an interesting concept, not many marketplaces/escrow platforms offer it (and I will not promote any of these because a swap shouldn't cost anything, they have absolutely nothing to win by spamming this thread!)
Indeed a swap shouldn't have any initial cost, in the end, it's just two domain pushes occuring simultaneously.
On a side node, I have seen people doing it on Namepros, not many but more than one member. They typically do it another way though (Domain(s) < > Domain(s) + Small sum of money)

For the "is there a market" part, I would say it all depends on the agreement. I guess in that scenario, one party (usually the outbounder/ alias the offer maker?) asks to do a swap because he has a given domain in mind, but now it will depend on what he has to offer and if the other party thinks it's fair enough (Giving an advantage to this party?)

Gube

•••
Thanks for your comments, yes sometimes money can be involved to support a swap, probably helps to get a deal over the line where an agreement can't be reached on a straight swap.

A swap could take place as you have described, other suggestions might be:

? x 4L for 1 x 3L
brandable(s) for 4L('s)
brandable(s) for two word(s)
two word(s) for 3L or 4L('s)

etc...

•••
Thanks for your comments, yes sometimes money can be involved to support a swap, probably helps to get a deal over the line where an agreement can't be reached on a straight swap.

A swap could take place as you have described, other suggestions might be:

? x 4L for 1 x 3L
brandable(s) for 4L('s)
brandable(s) for two word(s)
two word(s) for 3L or 4L('s)

etc...
I think it will also work better if it is restricted to liquid domains where value can be easily discerned.

The value for brandables, on the other hand, can be pretty subjective

•••
it's easy to do and on np u just look at people feedback so we can skip all that simultaneous push etc

really it's as simple as creating one thread where people link or post their folios.. then if u want a name u PM the owner and send yer folio..

its basically this simple

•••
I think it will also work better if it is restricted to liquid domains where value can be easily discerned.

The value for brandables, on the other hand, can be pretty subjective

Thanks, good point. Which value? wholesale?

•••
it's easy to do and on np u just look at people feedback so we can skip all that simultaneous push etc

really it's as simple as creating one thread where people link or post their folios.. then if u want a name u PM the owner and send yer folio..

its basically this simple

Thanks for this and I agree. I think the challenge might be reaching an agreement, especially spanning different asset classes, but certainly achievable if both parties are motivated.

•••
no point in restricting anything imo
one man trash can be another treasure

just a thread where those open to swaps post folios..no talks..just folios..then PM fron there...I might do the thread I talked about it few yrs back...as did others..but anyone feel free.

•••
Happy to see your thread creation :)

•••
•••
I have been in the business for over a decade and have done a handful of trades.

In general it is not really feasible as most people tend to overvalue their domains and undervalue others. Most trade offers I get are terrible.

It is hard to reach an agreement when valuation is so subjective.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Brad, nice insight.

•••
Always someone willing to take and not give every time. Pay with money only accept money avoid getting screwed domain swap = domain steal.

Last edited:
•••
The only serious issue I can think of would be in an intellectual property dispute. ie receiving a name and creating a new date of ownership may actually negate ownership rights in favour of another party. This is of course no different to buying an existing name under the same conditions.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, yes I see it the same, should be no different to buying names from someone on NP's as it is now.

•••
I have been in the business for over a decade and have done a handful of trades.

In general it is not really feasible as most people tend to overvalue their domains and undervalue others. Most trade offers I get are terrible.

It is hard to reach an agreement when valuation is so subjective.

Brad

Good point, my name is great, yours is good so give me more than I give you.

•••
Back