Domain Empire

Domain Sherpa VS Domain King. About to Fight?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TRY

StrongPunch.comTop Member
Impact
In a nutshell Domain Sherpa (Michael Cyger) removed all the video interviews of Rick schwartz (domain king) and Michael berkens (Thedomain) from the site.
Rick and Mike are very upset and want answers, but domain Sherpa hasn't responded to them except for a tweet in the middle of Rick's Twitter post leaving a strange comment and an advertisement, crazy.

I feel bad for Rick and Mike since they spent years donating their time, experience, and knowledge to the show.

Rick says he is getting Angry!

Anyways it's all on Rick's Twitter.

Why do you think the videos were removed?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To bear witness to our industries thought leaders attacking & being attacked by one another in this light, is tragic, to say the least.

On one hand, you have some of the most notable investors (Schwartz & Berkens) in our industry, those we’ve all looked up to, volunteering their time, knowledge, and experience over the course of many years to a wonderful show that has helped not only myself but many others along the way. On the other hand, you have Cyger, one the kindest, smartest and most giving people I know who had to make an impossible lose/lose decision to take down content that he himself spent countless hours curating, editing, and producing.

No one wins here. At all. Not the guests of the show who’s content were poisoned by a con-artist, not the viewers of the show (those who fell for the con and those who’ll miss out on the knowledge of the other guests) and surely not Michael Cyger himself.

No matter how valuable the information both Berkens, Schwartz, and other notable guests provided in those episodes… there was a con-artist that poisoned the episodes and that alone would have caused far more damage long term to our industry, disclaimers or not.

This is about more than the people who gave their time - this about ensuring the thousands upon thousands of viewers and future viewers will not be harmed by the poison that infected the content and industry, this is about cleaning up, however we can. Tough decisions had to and will continue to have to be made throughout the course of our industries existence. No matter where and by whom.

Life is too short to let the fallout of one bad seed destroy and come between the good ones. Let it go - move on, create new and better things from all that the experience has taught. Not the other way around.

•••
If someone offers to volunteer for a service and that service was appreciated at that time, why ask for that service after about a year? If it's volunteer than it is supposed not to ask something back.
Lots of articles are written all over the internet and brought down at some point, imagine all the writers bullying for this.

I used to invest a lot more time into writing about domain legal issues on forums than I do now, for precisely this reason. I had put many hours into case notes and other resources on Rick's board, to the extent that I would actually use Rick's board to recover notes I had written about domain cases in the course of preparing UDRP responses. Easily hundreds of hours.

Then one day, Rick decided to take the board down, and all of the content I had written was no longer accessible.

Oh well, that's how these things go.

The moral of the story seems to be not to accept volunteer efforts from people who are inclined to threaten you over some non-existent duty to enshrine it forever.

•••
I think Cyger did the right thing to remove any videos which could lead new victims to Dicker.

•••
Right, so now..the real question is... who is gonna grab:

CygerVsSchwartz.com

SchwartzNcyger.com

:xf.grin:

They should both get into the octagon at NamesCon2018 ....I bet that will sell some tickets...lol

Last edited:
•••
Would like nothing more but we have been BANISHED. RADIO SILENCE is what started this entire fiasco and why it continues. Once communication lines are broken (and we did not break them) NOTHING good happens. Things spin out of control.

Rick it sounds like he told you what he was going to do in March but you didn't like it. So you're shocked, dismayed and feel shunned because he won't respond to you with the same message that he gave you in March? So if Cyger had emailed, tweeted, called, used a courier service, or a naked singing telegram saying "they're not going back up" you would have been ok with that? I don't think so, since the point of this is that you're pissed about the content being removed.

Your anger is misplaced, Dicker did this to you Rick not Cyger. Drive to Toronto if you want and punch him in the face or verbally Twitterape him instead of Cyger.

I thought you and Berkens were retired? Why do you give a shit so much? You know this was all about expunging Dicker from any content and not about disrespecting you and Berkens. 19 hours ago you tweeted the link to the namepros thread "is Adam Dicker a criminal" and said "had no idea", that post is 2 years old.

It's like you retired, didn't care or pay attention to any of this, got tired of golfing everyday and eating applesauce, then woke up pissed and decided to rave like a madman about old news.

But I still respect you, cuz sometimes we all lose our cool. I imagine i'd get really frustrated too being locked up in a nursing home eating applesauce all day. You don't have to eat it, they give it to you because it's easy for a retired persons stomach to digest and sometimes they slip the medications into the applesauce so you wont' taste it, not to mention that it's easier to swallow crushed up.

I'm just messing with you, seriously though I learned a lot from your old episodes sorry to see that they're gone, but I know why they are. If it's any consolation, I had them all memorized and they helped shape me as a domainer, so I feel like they're not really gone, but rather a part of who I am.

Last edited:
•••
Did I mention I offer mediation services, or is it meditation services, I can't remember?:xf.eek:...Anyways, I soften the tone with red roses for everyone involved. In addition, I give out a teddy bear that when squeezed says, "I LOVE YOU!"...With red roses in one hand and a talking teddy bear in the other hand, there is no situation that can't be fixed.......:xf.grin:

•••
Why doesn't @DomainSherpa just invite @Rick Schwartz and Mike Berkens back to a brand new show to replace the deleted content?
For starters, the opening tension would create immediate fan appeal and I can never get enough of Rick calling me a Pigeonshit Farmer!
What's not to like about a brand new Domain Sherpa show featuring Rick Schwartz and Michael Berkens.
Ratings would go through the roof! So how bout it Michael @DomainSherpa?
Would you do a new show @Rick Schwartz? and Mr.Berkens?
Anybody else think they'd like to see this now?
My seat for the big show below!
MySeatForTheBigShowNP.jpg

•••
Totally unprofessional airing it in public. Entertaing though . .

•••
Rick is threatening Michael on tweeter.

You might have problems but taking it to an online platform is not professional!

Michael Cyger is a smart guy, I am glad he didn`t respond them back online.

Show attachment 61164
why would anybody reply to threats like that...

•••
Don't know exactly know what is going on
In a nutty shell:
  1. Rick Schwartz and Michael Berkens volunteered their time on Michael Cyger's DomainSherpa, alongside Adam Dicker.
  2. Mr. Dicker stole money from people.
  3. Mr. Cyger deleted all of the videos with Adam Dicker, including the videos where he was alongside Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Berkens. Why? To halt others from falling victim to Mr. Dicker.
  4. Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Berkens asked for an explanation from Mr. Cyger.
  5. Mr. Cyger will not respond to them. IMO, on good advice from his attorney.
  6. Mr. Berkens wants the videos back up. IMO, Mr. Cyger's attorney has said that's a liability because of Mr. Dicker.
  7. Mr. Schwartz is angry that they're being ignored by Mr. Cyger after all of the superb help they bestowed upon him.
Then they lived happily ever after.

Sleep tight. :sleep:

•••
Personally learned a lot from Rick's videos and blogs and do appreciate his time and effort to teach us all, but anger and hatred is not something to be respected, there are better ways that lead to peace, no matter what.

Edit: Have to add that I'm a great fan of DomainSherpa and really hope this all ends positively, all of you are a great wealth of info to the domain name community.

Last edited:
•••
in the news....

the news makers, are still making news, when it ain't no news to make

now, that's news

imo....

•••
Good old Mr. Cultra doing what he does best: stirring the pot. :xf.grin:
Ha. Good try Addison. Rick would be upset with me, not Cyger. I even said in my post this wasn't meant to knock down what Berkens and Schwartz have done but to say the Drew Rosener is doing things nobody has ever done in our industry and will end up making more than Rick and Berkens when it is all said and done. Using them as markers not saying they haven't accomplished amazing things. I only hope I make 10% of what Michael Berkens made.

I hate seeing what I see on Twitter from Rick. It is not good for our industry. But after what happened today there is no way to mend the relationship. It was ugly today. Not sure where a discussion on Twitter would lead. The way I understand it is that Mike doesn't want to put them up and Rick wants them up and won't stop until they are. Mike's show and he's made the decision. Not sure why it's gone this far. Again, I hate to see it. I think Mike has put up some great content over the years and Rick said he is going to his advertisers to get them to drop him and is trying to hurt his reputation. All over videos he did with Dicker.

•••
I think everyone just needs to listen to this calming, soothing, relaxing ASMR video:

•••
Its always harder to fix a situation when anger is involved. They all seem to have good reasons to be angry at this point. Let's hope they can find some peace and come to a mutual solution.

•••
•••
Ha. Good try Addison. Rick would be upset with me, not Cyger. I even said in my post this wasn't meant to knock down what Berkens and Schwartz have done but to say the Drew Rosener is doing things nobody has ever done in our industry and will end up making more than Rick and Berkens when it is all said and done. Using them as markers not saying they haven't accomplished amazing things. I only hope I make 10% of what Michael Berkens made.

I hate seeing what I see on Twitter from Rick. It is not good for our industry. But after what happened today there is no way to mend the relationship. It was ugly today. Not sure where a discussion on Twitter would lead. The way I understand it is that Mike doesn't want to put them up and Rick wants them up and won't stop until they are. Mike's show and he's made the decision. Not sure why it's gone this far. Again, I hate to see it. I think Mike has put up some great content over the years and Rick said he is going to his advertisers to get them to drop him and is trying to hurt his reputation. All over videos he did with Dicker.

There was NO demand to put the videos up until he did not do what he said and then just ignored like we were toe jam. That pissed off Berkens and Berkens wanted the videos back up. It's been bugging him for MONTHS. We simply wanted the answer he had previously promised to get back to us with. SIMPLE! He made a mess where there was none! Then disappeared instead of just being a MAN! Got it??

•••
In a nutty shell:
  1. Rick Schwartz and Michael Berkens volunteered their time on Michael Cyger's DomainSherpa, alongside Adam Dicker.
  2. Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Berkens asked for an explanation from Mr. Cyger.
  3. Mr. Cyger will not respond to them.
  4. Mr. Schwartz is angry that they're being ignored by Mr. Cyger after all of the superb help they bestowed upon him.

Sleep tight. :sleep:

EXACTLY. These are my 4 issues. And all he had to do was send an email or post and say "My attorney advised me not to talk about this right now." or whatever. IGNORING became a disaster. For what?

•••
I'm not Cyger but let's face it...he just wanted his brand as far away from Dicker as possible in my opinion...

BUT, I certainly see the huge frustration of no response when repeatedly asking for answers from someone you supported and donated all that time too...

I hope this gets solved for both sides...

•••
Kinda a case study in why ya don't build your business on facebook, twitter or someone else's site and should build on your own domain name as then you have complete control over your content and nobody can close the doors, change their terms or remove work that ya put effort into for any reason even if the reason may be justified.

Would expect the advertisers in the videos to be more upset than Schwartz and Berkens as less views for them if the videos are removed. Don't know the full details so I'll refrain from any personal opinion.

•••
I used to invest a lot more time into writing about domain legal issues on forums than I do now, for precisely this reason. I had put many hours into case notes and other resources on Rick's board, to the extent that I would actually use Rick's board to recover notes I had written about domain cases in the course of preparing UDRP responses. Easily hundreds of hours.

Then one day, Rick decided to take the board down, and all of the content I had written was no longer accessible.

Oh well, that's how these things go.

The moral of the story seems to be not to accept volunteer efforts from people who are inclined to threaten you over some non-existent duty to enshrine it forever.
I'd love for @Rick Schwartz to respond to this one. Complaining about a website owner removing your contributed content, but forgetting that you as a website owner have done the exact same thing. Wow!

•••
if somebody doesn't react to my phone calls emails or whatever contact issues
the first thing I would be worried about

is he ill?
did he have an injury of some kind?

maybe he has some family issues
and right now he really doen't care less about internet communications?

is he dead?

not everything that seems to happen to me
is really personally

all these are very valid reasons to stay silent

it's the core right of a human to stay silent
even in criminal investigations
and even in court

and being loud
doesn't make it more right or better for anybody

I have learned a lot from Rick
still do
but this time I will ignore him
for my souls health

so

this is all gossip

gossip doesn't help you with your business

--

unless its

Last edited:
•••
•••
why would anybody reply to threats like that...

No one should reply to that, except idiots...
Rick's tweet turns from a wise and wisdom to a hell of nonsense threat...
I lost respect towards him tbh. Did he experiences a thing that called post-power syndrom?

Last edited:
•••
This is an aged-old, fundamental dilemma that has been happening for centuries...

I coin it, the "Tommy Gun and Rocky" effect.

The unknown becomes known, the one who had zero clout now has clout, mainly because of the good will, generosity, and help from others, then they reach a point where they feel they no longer need to give recognition or stay forever indebted because time has past, relationships change, and they've been standing on their own.

IMO there are no rights or wrongs, it's all a matter of personal perception, how deep ones loyalties and gratitude run, and how understanding of the mentor(s) that today is a new day..

Personally, I myself would always, show some sort of recognition, gratitude, and respect no matter how much time has passed or the current status of the relationship, as long as it was not negatively effecting my progression, but that's just me and I'm big on loyalty and appreciation. (I'm a Leo)

But at the same time, I understand that people shouldn't do things for other people expecting to be praised for the rest of their/your life, you did it because you wanted to, and if they don't give you the type of respect, recognition, etc that you feel you rightfully deserve, you accept it, move on, and/or stop helping anyone else for the rest of your life because most people don't think the way you do, and some are just a*holes, but then at the end of the day, you become an a*hole too.

Otherwise, if you had your own personal interests in mind while helping the person, and those interests are no longer being met, that's what contracts are for and in time you learn who did or didn't need the contract but at least you crossed your t's and dotted your i's since the definition of respect and loyalty varies from person to person.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back