IT.COM

advice Domain selling - tax implications in the UK

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
I dabble with domains on the side, but have recently sold a few for reasonable sums of money.

In the past I treated it like selling junk on ebay and didn't worry too much about the tax implications, but as the income from it has increased I want to understand more.

I'm familiar with capital gains tax, and from what I've read this is what I think applies, but it seems like a bit of a grey area for an individual that flips domains almost as a hobby.

Anyone in the UK with any experience?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm familiar with capital gains tax, and from what I've read this is what I think applies, but it seems like a bit of a grey area for an individual that flips domains almost as a hobby.
You're buying them to sell them. That's no longer passable as a hobby I'm afraid, it's trading in domains therefore it's an activity that you do to make money, so you can't claim capital gains, it's income.

There is a useful HMRC video called "Am I trading?":

For instance, I can't claim capital gains on selling a house if I am in the business of buying and selling houses.

I can't sell a piece of equipment and claim capital gains on each sale when the whole point in my business is that I buy and sell said equipment.

You can't buy and sell domains for profit and then claim capital gains on every domain that you sell.

That's how I understand it, I hope that helps.

•••
You're buying them to sell them. That's no longer passable as a hobby I'm afraid, it's trading in domains therefore it's an activity that you do to make money, so you can't claim capital gains, it's income.

There is a useful HMRC video called "Am I trading?":

For instance, I can't claim capital gains on selling a house if I am in the business of buying and selling houses.

I can't sell a piece of equipment and claim capital gains on each sale when the whole point in my business is that I buy and sell said equipment.

You can't buy and sell domains for profit and then claim capital gains on every domain that you sell.

That's how I understand it, I hope that helps.

Thank you. There seemed to be some grey areas because a) sometimes I had previously used the domains for my own projects - so the intention wasn't initially to sell them and b) I'm not a business.

But with tax it's best to be cautious, so will declare.

•••
You don't need to have a registered business, you will be classed as self employed for the declaration of the additional income.

I also have my own projects and if I sold the domains that I use for those projects then I'd be declaring the income.

I hope that helps.

•••
I had a chat with @D Haynes about tax from sales and parking revenue in the UK. Are there any other guys from the UK here? How do you declare your income from domain sales / parking?
I'm self employed btw. Do you declare it as sales or as investments? Could renewals be used as a business expense?

Last edited:
•••
UP! Lol no UK domainers on board? Maybe they don't pay taxes or hold co.uk that sells once a decade? 😁

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back