Dynadot

Domain Pricing

NameSilo
Watch

leo98

Established Member
Impact
Wouldnt it be cool to have a perfect way of valuing domains? Its generally known that appraisal tools are as good as a trashcan. Am I wrong in saying estibot and domainindex are the 2 most respected of these tools? As far as respecting appraisal tools goes. Would it then be a good strategy to use these 2 and set the price at the median of whatever prices they come up with. But that itself is not so easy if the difference is so wide. For example I own hinode dot info. Estibot says its $120 and domainindex says its $2520. That is such a wide gap.

I guess there are many factors that influence the price of a domain. What I call the soft factors and the hard factors.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wouldn't value my domains in the way that you mention. When a prospective purchaser asks for a price, I give them a price that I would be happy to receive plus some wiggle room.

•••
Hi Stubs. I have read some of your input on differentt threads on the site. Simply brilliant. Consider my application for being my mentor on your table. Im a keen and quick learner.

Yes I see what you mean but that applies to a situation where one is being asked by a prospective buyer for a price. What I really would like to know is how does one avoid setting an unrealistically high price or a ridiculously low price when listing

•••
IMHO. You do what I said above. But you should also remember that you won't get a price you don't ask for. Generally you won't get any opportunity to evaluate the buyer. If you can, it helps. I usually start out at between 3-10 times the Estibot value, because Estibot put a lot of weight against past sales, as it should. But you have to be prepared for a lot of no responses. If you need the cash flow, you obviously start out much lower. So you cannot apply the same formula to every inquiry. Sorry, but I don't mentor anybody other than replying to posts.

•••
I know its generally accepted that appraisal tools are as good as a trashcan.

:talk:

read you first statement again, then read it one more time

then read below, what you said after that.....

leo98 said:
Am I wrong in saying estibot and domainindex are the 2 most respected of these tools.

:talk:

now let me ask you this

how much respect do you have for a trash can?

and if you had two trash cans, which would be the best or your favorite?

maybe the one closest to you or the one with the largest opening so you can pretend it's a basketball hoop?

point is, you'd be playing a game with yourself by throwing trash in the trash cans and remember, games are for entertainment

and so are automated appraisal tools.

you have to understand that domains were being sold long before these tools hit as "services", and that they have basically been constructed for newbies to play with, after paying a subscription or upgrade fee.

an "appraised" value for domains can basically be the cost of acquisition, plus renewal fee's paid to date, plus any traffic/revenue statistics that will enhance value, plus any additional dollar amount you think the domain can sell for because of demand, trend, rareness, etc, or what it's worth to "you" to replace it in your portfolio.

not an exact science, but there are many factors to consider for the experienced seller.

imo....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back