Dynadot

information Domain on "pending delete"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jay Ha

Exploring..Top Member
Impact
I guess this is the right place to ask this kind of question. I've been eyeing a domain name which has been expired since last June. Details are as follows:
Expires On
2018-07-26
Registered On
2015-07-26
Updated On
2018-09-07

So today is 2 months and 1 day after expiry. However, it is pending delete for more than 5 days now. Been who is'ing this at least twice a day, everyday, since I have no experience in chasing expired domains. The domain is at DreamHost.

I honestly don't know anything about this registrar, I read somewhere that I should wait 65 days for the domain to get deleted and become available for registration, the last 5 days being the 'pending delete' stage. What is confusing me is that it has been more than 5 days at this stage but it is not dropped yet. How long should I wait?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Are you familiar with expireddomains website ?

https://member.expireddomains.net/

You can poke around in there to see if you can find it.

Just created an account there, looked for the domain in the pending delete list for DreamHost registrar and it doesn't appear to be on the list.. Thanks for the tip though!

•••
•••
•••
I'm pretty sure it has been around 10 days in the pending delete phase now.. Thanks for the link though!
From your first post I see that you expect it to be released for registration after 65 dyas, right?
But from the image the link leads to, it seems the total number of days until release may be up to 80 (45+30+5), I guess depending on the registrar.

•••
From your first post I see that you expect it to be released for registration after 65 dyas, right?
But from the image the link leads to, it seems the total number of days until release may be up to 80 (45+30+5), I guess depending on the registrar.

What confused me is the following that shows when I whois:
Status
pendingdelete https://www.icann.org/epp#pendingdelete
pendingdelete* https://www.icann.org/epp#pendingdelete*

And when you go to the link that is mentioned above it says the following next to 'pending delete' phrase:

"This status code may be mixed with redemptionPeriod or pendingRestore. In such case, depending on the status (i.e. redemptionPeriod or pendingRestore) set in the domain name, the corresponding description presented above applies. If this status is not combined with the redemptionPeriod or pendingRestore status, the pendingDelete status code indicates that your domain has been in redemptionPeriod status for 30 days and you have not restored it within that 30-day period. Your domain will remain in this status for several days, after which time your domain will be purged and dropped from the registry database.

Once deletion occurs, the domain is available for re-registration in accordance with the registry's policies.

If you want to keep your domain name, you must immediately contact your registrar to discuss what options are available."

So what we can deduce is that the domain has passed redemption period since the code isn't mixed with any other code. It is ambiguous as to they don't mention how many days should the domain remain at 'pending delete' status, they only say it is 'several days'.

•••
Now @ 75 days since expiry..

•••
Looked up that same domain on GoDaddy and this time it was available to reg:
Screenshot_20181012-023633.png

However, after adding it to cart almost immediately, I got this error:

Screenshot_20181012-023639.png

WHOIS doesn't show a current owner, it shows there isn't any current owner for this domain. Held hostage?

•••

You are correct, it dropped today and yesterday was day 80 since expiry. (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back