IT.COM

Domain name with dash inside??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm interested to know if dash in the name of the domain would lower its value, such as cars-sales.com. I would think it should not matter, but certainly would like to hear from others since I'm so new to all of these domain business.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah it tends to lower it to put it simply :P

•••
If you had something like Carsales.com (not cars sales as people don't search like that usually) then even with a hyphen you could do quite well, but it depends.

The search engines don't see any difference between having a hyphen and not, so if you can get it ranked well on the development you will still do well.

People don't generally go for them because of the word of mouth issues, but don't let it put you off if it is a great name anyway.

Rule of thumb to remember with most domains is to say it to yourself a few times, if it sounds like how people usually say it then it might have potential. Car sales is good, sales car is not.

•••
I'm interested to know if dash in the name of the domain would lower its value, such as cars-sales.com. I would think it should not matter, but certainly would like to hear from others since I'm so new to all of these domain business.

Dashes wouldn't lower the value of an already low value domain name such as cars-sales.com, but can prevent value of a domain name in a reseller market unless the keywords work well together as Sparhawke stated. The word usage prevents a domain name from accruing value for resale potential first and foremost.... then the dash comes into play. Carsale or carsales is a better keyword combo that carssale or carssales. Most try to avoid dashes except in particular circumstances. SEO's are more lenient with dashes but are still picky about keyword usage.

Depends heavily on search usage.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back