IT.COM

Domain member-appraisals - Clycs.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ben48

Impact
I recently bought these two domains (Clycs.com & Formatrack.com) as an experiment to see if I can make a bit of money. However the appraisals seem a bit high to me (Godaddy appraisal tool).

I would like to know what you guys think they are worth and why you think they are worth that much? Please give me some insight into the factors affecting what they are worth.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please carry lots of salt when checking the appraisal tools.
Both XX For Reseller, May Be XXX For End User.This Is Just The Estimate, But Worth Is What A Buyer Is Willing To Give You.

Last edited:
•••
Hey @Ben48. Welcome to NamePros!

Great idea to come on here and get a few opinions on your names before investing in more. Buying sellable names can be quite tricky. Regardless of the feedback you get here, you'll want to spend a lot of time reading the forum to help make informed purchases in the future. This is a great place to start:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/popular-beginner-discussions.844937/

Now on to your names!

Clycs - It's a pronounceable 5L, the like of which you can find all over marketplace sites like BrandBucket, Brandpa, or SquadHelp. I see you actually have this one listed at Namerific! The asking price of $2,699 is pretty much right in the sweet spot for these types of names.

5L pronounceable names can be quite popular due to their short, memorable, and often unique nature. Owning one, though, is a bit like owning a lottery ticket... the reason being that very few targeted buyers exist (and often none).

Clycs, in my opinion, is not great as a brand name. The spelling, while unique, is not terribly intuitive, and if one were to say the name out loud, the spelling options would be almost endless: kliks, clicks, clics, cliks, klycks, klycs.... You get the idea. Generally, if I'm buying a misspelling of a word, I want that misspelling to be as close to the real word as possible. The further you get from it, the less value a name holds (again... my opinion).

The good news is that the .de version of your name appears to be in use. A possible buyer sometime in the future? Also nice to see that Namerific was willing to publish the name. I'm usually not a big fan of the names they choose to publish, but at the very least you know that it has received some screening/vetting from people in the industry who have a pulse on what sells.

FormaTrack - I assume this is the preferred presentation of the name (as opposed to FormatRack, which doesn't make much sense).

It sounds nice as a brand name, although I'm not entirely sure how it would be used. "Forma" is a Latin word meaning form or shape, so "track shape" or "track form"? Maybe could find use as an automotive or racing brand?

It doesn't look like anyone online is currently using this term for branding, so that's not terribly promising. "Track" as a keyword is solid, but it really does need a relevant pairing word to make a good brand. I'm not sure "forma" fits the bill, and even as a stand-alone keyword it looks like it hasn't performed that well in aftermarket sales (according to what I found on Namebio.com).

I would get it listed at Afternic and Sedo at least, and also make sure the page points to a for sale lander (you can use Dan.com, Uniregistry, etc.). Post a BIN in the 1K to 1.5K range and see what happens.

So to summarize, I don't think either name is particularly strong, but they aren't terrible either. If these are your first ever domain name purchases, then you're already far ahead of many newcomers. Clycs is probably worth renewing as long as you have it listed at a brand marketplace, but I think letting FormaTrack expire after a year would be fine.

•••
Hey @Ben48. Welcome to NamePros!

Great idea to come on here and get a few opinions on your names before investing in more. Buying sellable names can be quite tricky. Regardless of the feedback you get here, you'll want to spend a lot of time reading the forum to help make informed purchases in the future. This is a great place to start:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/popular-beginner-discussions.844937/

Now on to your names!

Clycs - It's a pronounceable 5L, the like of which you can find all over marketplace sites like BrandBucket, Brandpa, or SquadHelp. I see you actually have this one listed at Namerific! The asking price of $2,699 is pretty much right in the sweet spot for these types of names.

5L pronounceable names can be quite popular due to their short, memorable, and often unique nature. Owning one, though, is a bit like owning a lottery ticket... the reason being that very few targeted buyers exist (and often none).

Clycs, in my opinion, is not great as a brand name. The spelling, while unique, is not terribly intuitive, and if one were to say the name out loud, the spelling options would be almost endless: kliks, clicks, clics, cliks, klycks, klycs.... You get the idea. Generally, if I'm buying a misspelling of a word, I want that misspelling to be as close to the real word as possible. The further you get from it, the less value a name holds (again... my opinion).

The good news is that the .de version of your name appears to be in use. A possible buyer sometime in the future? Also nice to see that Namerific was willing to publish the name. I'm usually not a big fan of the names they choose to publish, but at the very least you know that it has received some screening/vetting from people in the industry who have a pulse on what sells.

FormaTrack - I assume this is the preferred presentation of the name (as opposed to FormatRack, which doesn't make much sense).

It sounds nice as a brand name, although I'm not entirely sure how it would be used. "Forma" is a Latin word meaning form or shape, so "track shape" or "track form"? Maybe could find use as an automotive or racing brand?

It doesn't look like anyone online is currently using this term for branding, so that's not terribly promising. "Track" as a keyword is solid, but it really does need a relevant pairing word to make a good brand. I'm not sure "forma" fits the bill, and even as a stand-alone keyword it looks like it hasn't performed that well in aftermarket sales (according to what I found on Namebio.com).

I would get it listed at Afternic and Sedo at least, and also make sure the page points to a for sale lander (you can use Dan.com, Uniregistry, etc.). Post a BIN in the 1K to 1.5K range and see what happens.

So to summarize, I don't think either name is particularly strong, but they aren't terrible either. If these are your first ever domain name purchases, then you're already far ahead of many newcomers. Clycs is probably worth renewing as long as you have it listed at a brand marketplace, but I think letting FormaTrack expire after a year would be fine.

Great analysis @JoeNichols! Thank you on my behalf for taking the time to share some lights about those new registrations by @Ben48. Your comment was very helpful to me. Again "Great analysis."

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back