IT.COM

Wanted Domain Liquidation Platform - Seeking input for new Epik project

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Dear Namepros,

The team at Epik is exploring the development of a project that aims to shift the painful domain name expiration process into a more profitable experience for domainers. Perhaps you have read my opinions about registrars selling expired domains and refusing to help registrants in recovery. The time to disrupt this with action has come!

In the meantime, since joining Epik last month, I decided to do something about it with the help of some amazing engineers. The goal of this "name liquidate" idea is to sell domains directly to buyers that may otherwise wait to acquire these domains at expired auctions or being filled as registrar backorders which pays zero to the registrant.

The planned solution addresses two domainer pain points,
1. Liquidation of expiring inventory brings much needed capital, meaning you can renew more of your portfolio.
2. Buyers get clear title and dont waste time bidding on names that can be recovered post-expiry.

Here is the process,
1. Submit your domains: you unlock your domains, provide auth codes.
2. Seller acknowledges that a fast-transfer of the domain will occur once domain has a bid.
3. Bidders agree to non-revocable change of ownership if their bid prevails.
4. Sellers receive a large portion (80%?) of auction proceeds.

The process begins with a 7 day reverse auction counting down hourly/daily, down to $1 plus renewal/transfer for delivery. The domain doesn't have to be expired or expiring. You can submit the name multiple times during the life of the name but not more than once per year. Once the auth code is verified:
β€’ Epik parks the domain with auction template with Make Offer pricing so retail bids can come in.
β€’ Wholesale buyers are informed of expired auction inventory update.
β€’ Domain goes through reverse auction in 7 days
β€’ Domains are fast transferred to Epik as soon as one bid is made.
β€’ If seller locks name, all domains will be removed and no further listings will be accepted from seller.
β€’ Domains already at Epik are pre-qualified for "name liquidate" services, but you must opt in manually.
β€’ External domains are eligible once auth codes are verified.
β€’ Data will include number of views, expiration date, and expected delivery.
β€’ Pre-set domain buys will give you the ability to buy any name when a price hits a certain target.
β€’ Once a bid is submitted, it cannot be revoked. All purchases a final non-refundable.
As for brand name, we are considering NameLiquidate.com β€” very descriptive name and targeted at a very specific audience. That said, open to considering other names. A separate brand naming project is coming shortly for what Rob describes as the β€œUltimate Digital Brand Marketplace”. This is separate.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I started to list stuff @ NameLiquidate in December. As a curiosity, just checked what happened with unsold expiring domains from external registrars. Not a big surprise, but about 80% of the domains which remained unsold on NameLiquidate now have new owners who purchased them in pre-release cycle. At least it means that my expireds are not that bad :) And, actually, it should also mean that not all domainers are yet aware of NameLiquidate... in some cases folks actually pay more purchasing registrar-powered prereleases ;-()

•••
I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere but I see no quick link to get to NameLiquidate from Epik home page.

I see Bargain, Daily Diamonds,and more but no NameLiquidate quick link.

How do I get to it without having to type it in the address bar or being signed into my account?
Can someone without an Epik account get to NameLiquidate other than typing the name direct in address bar?

I do see a quick link when I'm signed in under my account.

•••
I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere but I see no quick link to get to NameLiquidate from Epik home page.

I see Bargain, Daily Diamonds,and more but no NameLiquidate quick link.

How do I get to it without having to type it in the address bar or being signed into my account?
Can someone without an Epik account get to NameLiquidate other than typing the name direct in address bar?

I do see a quick link when I'm signed in under my account.

A
new dashboard view is coming for that but, as you probably noticed, you can already manage your listings here:
]]
upload_2020-2-21_6-36-50.png

@Ala Dadan - Please share UX preview.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks,
Yes I did notice it on my dashboard when signed in to my account.

If I weren't on namepros and didn't come across this thread I wouldn't have known anything about NameLiquidate.

I could not find an option to view names for NameLiquidate from Epik home page under marketplace tab.
Just thought it might get more eyes on the names if there was a quick link like Bargain names, Daily Diamonds, Premium,
under marketplace tab.

•••
please disregard

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-21_14-25-0.png
    upload_2020-2-21_14-25-0.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
•••
Thanks,
Yes I did notice it on my dashboard when signed in to my account.

If I weren't on namepros and didn't come across this thread I wouldn't have known anything about NameLiquidate.

I could not find an option to view names for NameLiquidate from Epik home page under marketplace tab.
Just thought it might get more eyes on the names if there was a quick link like Bargain names, Daily Diamonds, Premium,
under marketplace tab.

Truth be told, we want to delimit the retail buyers from NameLiquidate. We will be ramping up our marketing to reach more buyers this month with a few channels.

•••
Ah... I see
Thanks for the response

•••
I have added a few names to NameLiquidate and this may have been asked before, so sorry if it is a repeated question. (I tried searching but couldn't find anything)

Is there a way we can view visits on names that are listed from an external registrar?
I have added 8 names and no where to view visits.
Screenshot_20200222-114545~2.png

Will we be able to view this on Epik dashboard in performance tab under marketplace visits in the future?

The internal name I had listed does show a place to view the visits on the name.
Screenshot_20200222-114706~2.png

•••
I have added a few names to NameLiquidate and this may have been asked before, so sorry if it is a repeated question. (I tried searching but couldn't find anything)

Is there a way we can view visits on names that are listed from an external registrar?
I have added 8 names and no where to view visits.
Show attachment 145539

Will we be able to view this on Epik dashboard in performance tab under marketplace visits in the future?

The internal name I had listed does show a place to view the visits on the name.
Show attachment 145538

Will review this with engineering, the visits reflect the number of visitors to the actual domain. We should have it so it displays the number of visitors to the listing itself.

Important note: If you are bidding on a domain, please ensure the your payment method is valid and working before the auction ends! We have had several instances where a winning bidder lost the auction because their payment method failed and the second bidder was considered the winner because they were able to pay immediately.

•••
ICYMI, you can now set reserve prices, both in bulk and individually when managing Liquidation inventory for NameLiquidate.com:

upload_2020-2-28_22-37-37.png

upload_2020-2-28_22-38-47.png

That should make it a bit safer for more folks to test the water on reverse auctions.

•••
Another new feature: API support for NameLiquidate.

This is super cool:

https://docs.userapi.epik.com/v2/#/Liquidate/liquidateAddDomain

Now anyone with inventory, including registrars, can programatically submit inventory into NameLiquidate via API. That's a game changer for the folks who run "lights out" operations.

If you have domains at Godaddy that are expiring and about to end at grace period, it becomes possible to programatically send them into NameLiquidate.

This could end up being pretty handy for a lot of folks.

•••
you can now set reserve prices

This is cool. Since the reserve price is a feature of the listing, it would make sense to make it public both in GUI and downloadable lists. As soon as it becomes public, it would become obvious that analysing lists is no more convinient for buyers if the reserves are completely random. So, I have already mentioned in this thread earlier and can now repeat the suggestion to offer a few fixed numbers ($9, 19, 29, 59 for example) to select from.

Now anyone with inventory, including registrars, can programatically submit inventory into NameLiquidate

Is participation of registrars compatible with the main nameliquidate idea, which was reflected in the very 1st post of this thread? Both technically (how about domainers who may also want to submt these exact domains) and, most imporantly, ideologically? -

Perhaps you have read my opinions about registrars selling expired domains and refusing to help registrants in recovery. The time to disrupt this with action has come!

•••
ICYMI, you can now set reserve prices, both in bulk and individually when managing Liquidation inventory for NameLiquidate.com:

Show attachment 146110

Does that prompt (for reserve) come up with bulk submit via hamburger button in Epik 'My Domains' page?
Are there minimum and maximum reserves that can be set?

•••
Does that prompt (for reserve) come up with bulk submit via hamburger button in Epik 'My Domains' page?

I just bulk submitted several domains that way and was prompted once for a reserve price so it seems that works so long as you want the same reserve price for all of them.

•••
I just bulk submitted several domains that way and was prompted once for a reserve price so it seems that works so long as you want the same reserve price for all of them.
Hi @Ryan217 , when you add domains at https://east.epik.com/portfolio-liquidate , then you need to specify your reserve price along with domain name, authcode followed by Reserve price value say for example

abcfortest.com ^%^&&* 20
xyzfortest.com $%&&^* 50
---
---
OPQfortest.com %$^&* 12

Once you submitted, you cant change the reserve price through your Domain portfolio page i.e. (Domain -> Marketplace -> Nameliquidate screen). If you don't mention reserve price, it should take $9 as reserve price by default.

@DanSanchez , please confirm the behavior.

Thanks,

•••
Thanks Ryan. That could be a bit problematic. Better if you can specify different reserve for each (or have a tick box to apply the same reserve to all). I'll await a reply from the Epik crew regarding the min/max reserve...
@Rob Monster @DanSanchez

•••
Those aren't the only 2 options, Karmaco literally posted others above:

"There is a set way of liquidating domains allready in place: sell at low fixed prices,auction,sell here in bargain bin,sell at registrar level or drop them."

Try it and see if it works.

If you want to do something for domainers, make an NJ competitor. There would be big money there.
What's "NJ"?

•••
•••
Can you share any stats on Name Liquidate?

I am curious to know what percent of domains actually sell, and at what price.

Brad

•••
After the custom reserve pricing was introduced, domain submission from nameliquidate homepage may or may not work. I am unsure what does it depend on.

For example -

Submission:

domain1.ext authcode

Result:

domain1.ext : '0' is not between '9' and '998', inclusively

Adding custom reserve ($9 which should be default) may or may not help.

Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, it does not. It appears that form parser has bugs, possibly not taking in account specific line separator codes in linux (which OS I am using doing copypaste) or something similar.

•••
@Rob Monster I think this might have been brought up before, and if so this is a reminder... A bunch of my names didn't sell. Didn't receive any notification at all. Would have expected an email saying, 'sorry, your names xxxx didn't sell' so I at least knew the auction was finished, and perhaps even some options of renew here, delete from portfolio, etc... I know there have been some discussions before that the notifications are rather inadequate.

•••
Hi everyone. Just checked out NameLiquidate and I like what I see so far.

I have a question about listing names. Is there a way to specify the starting price? I ask because, If I'm going to liquidate a name that expires in a couple weeks, I would like to set an attractive price early instead of having the reverse auction starting at almost $1000

Also, is there an FAQ specific to NameLiquidate? Can't find it and the Knowledge Base at Epik isn't resolving (although that could be an issue on my end)

Thanks @Rob Monster and @DanSanchez , I'm really looking forward to test driving NameLiquidate

•••
•••
•••
Was this domain yours and if so, how was it acquired?

The point that you apparently fail to grasp is that the specific example shared is to illustrate the merits of sending inventory to NameLiquidate.com and also for checking expiry inventory at Daily Diamonds.

I know of a specific case of a recent Daily Diamond that someone picked up for $9 a few months ago that has a $10K offer and is evaluating a $24K counter-offer. Yay for the Epik client.

As more people are actively trolling our inventory, there is no need to send the inventory to pending-delete for HugeDomains to pick up. That's why Daily Diamonds and NameLiquidate are ESSENTIAL.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back