Domain length (once again) question.

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch
Impact
45
If one has something that is a GREAT fit to the project when does the length kill you. I am developing not selling at least thats the current plan.

3 words and 21 characters and I mean it when I say it is a perfect fit. If it was 15 or under it could be IMHO High $XXX.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
With 3 words I would go for dashes between the words. I would't put my visitors through reading an undashed 21 character phrase.

Just my 50 cents.
 
0
•••
Martin40 said:
With 3 words I would go for dashes between the words. I would't put my visitors through reading an undashed 21 character phrase.

Just my 50 cents.
I already own the 2 keywords in lesser extensions with hyphen and it suddenly dawned on me that PokerGiftHeadquarters.com was perfect so I reg'd & now wondering if I wasted my $7.20 because of length so I added insult to injury by also doing PokerGiftHQ.com so that adds up to $14.20.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
If it takes three words to expalin the product, then three words don't usually hurt the domain. Something very descriptive like GiftCertificateTrader.com is 21 characters just as you mention, and would be an excellent domain since the name explains exactly what the site does. In this case, it takes all three keywords to describe the site. If one of the three words is the, or, and, then it may be a different story.

I had someone make me an offer for BuyThisName.com and said the value was low due to being three words. I'm knowledgable enough to know better, since the name is not just words together , but a phrase when put together. Sometimes a whole common phrase is worth more than jsut a couple keywords.

DNjounal has many examples where a good,but long name showed real value in the sale price.
 
0
•••
Also depends on what the buyer wants

Depends on what the buyer wants it for. I sold www.CorrectionalSupply.com for $200. That's two words, 18 letters!! Of course, the guy supplied prisons with supplies!!

Frank
 
0
•••
IMO it depends on what the name is for. If people see it newspaper-ad then a long name may attract attention and raise interest, but on the net I think people prefer a shorter, more generic name. And in my experience web-surfers don't care much about the TLD.
 
0
•••
3 words? Unless you have a lot of backlinks or rank high in the search engines, my opinion is you would expect realtively less type-ins.
 
0
•••
i think it depends on the words and the brand of the domain buyer, if it fits and easy to spell, then why not ?
 
0
•••
A long domain can sometimes be a turnoff to some prospective buyers, but I don't think it's necessarily all that bad for a website. A long domain that contains relevant keywords is excellent for SEO, and can still be branded quite well (VancouverJobShop.com is a good example of this). In my opinion, it has less to do with the length of the name, and more to do with its brandability and memorability.
 
0
•••
hark said:
I added insult to injury by also doing PokerGiftHQ.com so that adds up to $14.20.

PokerGiftHQ.com... I kinda liked this one, don't beat yourself up too badly.

And as far as length is concerned, lol, I reg'd multilevelmarketingbusiness.com... so I wouldn't feel too horrible if I were you. :D
 
0
•••
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back