IT.COM

discuss Domain industry: Pros and Cons

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was considering how the domain industry compares to all the other businesses that one may be involved in. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages that I could think of:

Advantages
  • Can start off with low capital - There have been people who have started off with literally $500 or less and worked their way to $10,000+
  • Image matters less - In a business where you are dealing with different buyers all the time, having a poor image may not disrupt your business (unless you are a reseller)
  • Can experiment with outbound and inbound - Outbound is very much doable and people can even start with less than $50 and work their way through
Disadvantages
  • Low liquidity - Chances of liquidating at will is low
  • Low retention - Once you sell a name, your business starts from scratch. It's not like the same buyer will buy your other names
  • Every name is different - If you sell a name, doesn't promise that you would end up selling similar names at similar prices
  • Low ticket size - You can't do much to increase your ticket size per sale, like selling additional names to the same buyer
  • Can be taken up on the side and then built up gradually

What else could you think of?
This can help people weigh in the pros and cons and see if this is something that they wish to get in/continue.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • Image matters less - In a business where you are dealing with different buyers all the time, having a poor image may not disrupt your business (unless you are a reseller)
Image absolutely does matter, whether a buyer or seller, regardless of industry. Many unforeseen factors can take place with a "bad image", beyond making a sale

• Low liquidity - Chances of liquidating at will is low
By definition, low liquidity means means the market has few opportunities to buy and sell, and assets become difficult to trade. That just isn't true, if you own saleable domains, at a fair price

• Every name is different - If you sell a name, doesn't promise that you would end up selling similar names at similar prices
That isn't necessarily true...depends on what you've got

• Low ticket size - You can't do much to increase your ticket size per sale, like selling additional names to the same buyer
Again, that isn't necessarily true either

Yeah, I don't agree with a good chunk of this. IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
Tough crowd today kid.
Give you +1 for effort

•••
Last edited:
•••
He will never give up. I gave up on him.

Last edited:
•••
The more you read the more you learn and can see transparency of what is proactive and what is con.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back