IT.COM

showcase Domain giant offers services on a typo domain - PoYnt.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reallybigidea.com

THIS DOMAIN SOLD. Username is not valid.Top Member
Impact
Hello Profs,

Most domainers just hate typo domains but I am calling them brandables. What do you say now when a domain industry lider launched a business on a typo domain name as PoYnt.com?

I think this typo domain 5-letter PoYnt.com is a great brand name!

Show us your best typo com domains!

Mine:
Andrameda.com
Amazania.com

Alligaters.com
Christean.com
Deymond.com
Morthgage.com - h is for home
Incuranse.com - just for fun
Raabbit.com
Psychologyy.com - Psychology and Y

Apartaments.net - Estibot value $2,400 lol

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well to start with there are lots of stupid branding decisions.

In this case "Poynt" (point) is a short one syllable brand that is easy to understand imo.

There is no comparison between that and your examples in my view.

Brad

•••
Typo "brandables" are OK if they can find a way of over coming the radio test failure. Most of the time they say "zero with an X" or something similar which to me is code for "we couldn't afford the real name". But obviously there are many success stories so maybe it's just down to advertising budget.

•••
•••
Hi

i agree

it's just a another guised attempt to promote his names:

Showcase your typo one-word dot COM domains (like as Vilages.com, Raabbit.com, Andrameda.com etc) - NamePros

imo...
What's your problem I do not promote drugs or cbd domains.. and I do not own vilages. com

•••
Well to start with there are lots of stupid branding decisions.

In this case "Poynt" (point) is a short one syllable brand that is easy to understand imo.

There is no comparison between that and your examples in my view.

Brad
no matter what but it is a TYPO domain not a real word isn't it?

•••
The worst “brandable” is “Cana”

TWO N’ is correct spelling, NOT one N. (!!!)

Squadhelp now does not accept 1N spelling, although terrible 1N in, are grandfathered SH.

“Typo” DNs’ are nuanced, hate almost all lol.
(not my niche)

Last edited:
•••

Squadhelp now does not accept 1N spelling, although terrible 1N in, are grandfathered SH.

(not my niche)
TBH i would be grabbed Cana com for $x,xxx if it was available for purchase

Last edited:
•••
What's your problem I do not promote drugs or cbd domains.. and I do not own vilages. com

Hi

i got no problems, but it seems you have a problem with understanding what a typo is.

As said before,
a typo is a domain name that gets type-in traffic from people who miss-type the correct word/words they are searching for, via the address bar.

if your domain does not get such traffic, then it isn't a typo.

the domain "poynt" represents a phonetical spelling of the word "point".
like ryde for ride or lyft for lift, etc, as such, it is brandable in that respect.
and, it is not a typo because the letters used, were intentional.

imo....

•••
poynt is a good brandable name, nothing extra, short, pronounceable, although may not fully pass the radio test 'cos of the y.

Last edited:
•••

(not my niche)

Hi

maybe you shouldn't let SH define what is, and what is not, for you.

Cana Technology, Inc.
CANA Group of Companies

imo....

Last edited:
•••
if there is traffic there is value otherwise i don't like them.

•••

Kosmic is a typo. It is a different level than Kausmic.

All typos are not created equal when it comes to value or branding.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
I own one cana domain cana tech in king.

•••
Most domainers just hate typo domains but I am calling them brandables. What do you say now when a domain industry lider launched a business on a typo domain name as PoYnt.com?

@ReallyBigIdea.com What's a lider? I'm getting "A removable or hinged cover for a hollow receptacle or box. 2. An eyelid. 3. Biology A flaplike covering, such as an operculum."

•••
I think 99,99% of typos are junk. Short and with max 1 typo in the name can have some value.
Big remark: typos are not suitable for every niche (think for example banking and personal finance)

I own:

Qredit/Score com
Qredit/Scores com
Qredit/Cards com
Credit/Qards com
B ytcoyns com

And I'm liquidating all of them.

Typo names with traffic are another story, did a couple of experiment in the past handregging and tasting in the 5 days windows. I did it only with general words, never do it for trademarks.

Last edited:
•••
Typo/misspelled names are used and sell every day right? Old news?

•••
I have

Byeet.com
Pijja.co

•••
Happens every day. Domainer registers typo name, example otorsport.com. Redirects name to another site (related to typo), example motorsportx.com. Site contains ads about products sold on motorsport.com. Users click on ads (sent to real site of the typo, example motorsport.com). When user buys product from motorsport.com the owner of otorsport.com gets paid a percentage of the sale. Some anti virus software are getting wise to this. Serve users warning pages. Not a criminal offence, per say, but could be privately prosecuted under trademark law.

Last edited:
•••
I don't follow this area well but in my mind a typo domain is one that you essentially are tricking someone into going there when really they intend to go somewhere else. e.g. Microssoft - in most cases I presume UDRP shut them down as confusingly similar.

This example of Poynt is not that. The company is using a creative spelling. It is not that they are trying to trick someone to go there instead of Point. It is a brandable. There are of course many among well known brands like Lyft, and the brandable marketplaces have lots of them.

I think they mainly work if the business is well funded enough to use advertising dollars to build recognition on that name. One advantage creative spellings offer is that they are not dictionary words, so in general more able to be trademarked even in the area they hint at.

I think generally creative spelling brandables work only when there is one and only one change, e.g. an s to a z or a missing vowel, and they hint at the sector of the company. But like all rules, this one is not always followed. A well known financial company in Canada branded on Simplii. Not just y to i, but an extra i as well. In marketing they make the double i a clear part of their visual image.

Bob

•••
I think they mainly work if the business is well funded enough to use advertising dollars to build recognition on that name.

You're right.

2020 - GoDaddy acquired Poynt for $365m
etc
Verifone's attempt to force a Poynt to rebrand falls.
Poynt raises $xxxM in series ....
Breaking Data Corp acquires Poynt
Poynt filed for bankruptcy (after effect)
Poynt seeing 15,000 new users a day
2006 - Poynt is born
2004+ A year of WTF Names trend (Brandable/TM able)

•••
This example of Poynt is not that. The company is using a creative spelling. It is not that they are trying to trick someone to go there instead of Point. It is a brandable. There are of course many among well known brands like Lyft, and the brandable marketplaces have lots of them.

I think they mainly work if the business is well funded enough to use advertising dollars to build recognition on that name. One advantage creative spellings offer is that they are not dictionary words, so in general more able to be trademarked even in the area they hint at.

I think generally creative spelling brandables work only when there is one and only one change, e.g. an s to a z or a missing vowel, and they hint at the sector of the company. But like all rules, this one is not always followed. A well known financial company in Canada branded on Simplii. Not just y to i, but an extra i as well. In marketing they make the double i a clear part of their visual image.

Bob

Yeah, that is a fanciful trademark. They generally offer a lot more protection than generic terms.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/selecting-a-strong-trademark-the-four-types-of-marks

I agree. A good brandable likely has one change, not many, and is usually (1) word.

An example of a terrible recent brand IMO is "Kyndryl" by IBM. This is a company with an almost unlimited budget. That is really the best you can do?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
An example of a terrible recent brand IMO is "Kyndryl" by IBM. This is a company with an almost unlimited budget. That is really the best you can do?

Brad

The Klingon language is suddenly getting more popular again :)

--
Kyndryl is a modern adaptation of two words that are central to the new company's identity and mission. "Kyn" is derived from the word kinship, referencing the belief that relationships with people -- employees, customers and partners -- are at the center of the strategy, and that long-lasting relationships must be built and nurtured. "Dryl" comes fromtendril, bringing to mind new growth and the idea that -- together with customers and partners -- the business is always working toward advancing human progress.

source (IBM PR)

•••
The Klingon language is suddenly getting more popular again :)

--
Kyndryl is a modern adaptation of two words that are central to the new company's identity and mission. "Kyn" is derived from the word kinship, referencing the belief that relationships with people -- employees, customers and partners -- are at the center of the strategy, and that long-lasting relationships must be built and nurtured. "Dryl" comes fromtendril, bringing to mind new growth and the idea that -- together with customers and partners -- the business is always working toward advancing human progress.

source (IBM PR)

Yeah, when a brand requires that level of explanation it is an L.

Also, why not just Kindril then...

The sad thing is you know they paid some outside marketing firm millions of dollars with this as the end result.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Back