IT.COM

question Domain for blog: A long .com or one-word .blog?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain for blog: long .com or one-word .blog?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .com

votes
    57.1%
  • .blog

votes
    42.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Advancd.com

Established Member
Impact
Which is better a 12 -16 letter .com domain or short .blog.
Please vote. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well I was the first to vote. So you can see I chose .com. But that was I was forced to choose. I chose .com because its likely to be the more valuable and more typed in blind option. But for a user, I have no objection to word.blog. Except it will cost more to register every year. And it can even increase in price, unlike.com domains (at least for the moment).

•••
I also voted .com - but if starting a new blog I wouldn't go long. There are many short 5-letter .com domain names that can be hand-regged that are a "made-up" word that could easily be marketed as a blog, where you could also pick up the gmail, twitter, instagram and other social media accounts with the same made-up name.

•••
In some cases ("local" blogs), country code CCtld would be better in many aspects.
12-16 letters .com? With some brainstorming or muse, it should be possible to find and handreg shorter .com. Or, as the last resort, find something in 3 figures range on aftermarket - should be ok for any blogging budget.

Last edited:
•••
Of course you only asked a simple question. So you get simple answers. @Kpett has a point. If you want to run the whole host of social media accounts with your blog, you might be 'forced" into using an alternative strategy. Then you might need a brandable word for your blog. But getting a whole battery of social media accounts lined up, is also a difficult task.

My answer above was to your question about cyclingblog.com vs cycling.blog, type example.

Last edited:
•••
I prefer to be short... regardless of TLD.

•••
p.s. Many 3L.life are available... this TLD is absolutely enough for personal blog...
$1.99 at NameSilo with code: TLDLIST

•••
I know I'm a year and a half too late to this, but if you're still looking for short one-word .BLOG domains, there's a list of 14K+ of them on One Word Domains – feel free to check it out!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back