NameSilo

Domain for blog: a long .com or one-word .blog?

Labeled as question in gTLD Discussion started by Advancd.com, May 13, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

Domain for blog: long .com or one-word .blog?

1. .com

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. .blog

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
Total: 13 vote(s)
  1. Advancd.com

Advancd.com Established Member

Which is better a 12 -16 letter .com domain or short .blog.
    Please vote. Thanks

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well I was the first to vote. So you can see I chose .com. But that was I was forced to choose. I chose .com because its likely to be the more valuable and more typed in blind option. But for a user, I have no objection to word.blog. Except it will cost more to register every year. And it can even increase in price, unlike.com domains (at least for the moment).

3. Kpett

Kpett Established Member

I also voted .com - but if starting a new blog I wouldn't go long. There are many short 5-letter .com domain names that can be hand-regged that are a "made-up" word that could easily be marketed as a blog, where you could also pick up the gmail, twitter, instagram and other social media accounts with the same made-up name.

4. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

In some cases ("local" blogs), country code CCtld would be better in many aspects.
    12-16 letters .com? With some brainstorming or muse, it should be possible to find and handreg shorter .com. Or, as the last resort, find something in 3 figures range on aftermarket - should be ok for any blogging budget.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  5. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Of course you only asked a simple question. So you get simple answers. @Kpett has a point. If you want to run the whole host of social media accounts with your blog, you might be 'forced" into using an alternative strategy. Then you might need a brandable word for your blog. But getting a whole battery of social media accounts lined up, is also a difficult task.

My answer above was to your question about cyclingblog.com vs cycling.blog, type example.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I prefer to be short... regardless of TLD.

7. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

p.s. Many 3L.life are available... this TLD is absolutely enough for personal blog...
    $1.99 at NameSilo with code: TLDLIST

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: