IT.COM

information Domain extension company reserves a trademark VS. CyberSquatter?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Domain extension company reserves a trademark VS. CyberSquatter? What's the difference? Seems like semantics to me. lol isn't it the same thing?lol?

I shortened the title to catch attention. but here's the real question
How can domain extension companies reserve a trademark without being accused of cybersquatting?

I'm saying couldn't a trademark holder say that a domain extension company is essentially blackmailing the trademark holder?

how is that any different from say a domainer registering a domain similar to a trademark?

Case in point the WONDERFUL EXTENSION .SUCKS. They created that domain with an obvious purpose and intent. To hold hostage the reputation of pretty much every trademarked company on the planet. I mean what company wants their company to be called "SUCKS"?

none right?

Ok so why aren't these big companies just doing an URDP complaint to for example .sucks and that .sucks is charging them say $10,000 to register .sucks with their trademark?

how is that any different from a domainer who for whatever reason registered trademark.com? and then offering it to the trademark holder for a huge price?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not a 100% sure but since it is based on criticism of the company, it is legal to do. I'm also pretty sure you can have a fan site with a TM. You can't sell or profit off the TM though.

•••
There really shouldn't be any trademark issues with a .sucks domain, because when used properly they should fall within fair use as protected speech.

I'm not familiar with the extension. Have they reserved big company names and are charging premium pricing for them? That would be a little shady.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back