Dynadot

Domain course. Yay or nay?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would you take this course?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

The Group

VIP Member
Impact
Alright folks, we are planning on developing a course to teach you the a-z's of becoming a profitable Super Seller utilizing the Flippa platform! It will cover everything from the basics like what a domain name is, how to valuate them, where to find deals and so on. All the way up to negotiations, transferring, building the right listing and proper outbound techniques. It will cover everything. All of my techniques, strategies, experience, tips & tricks, the tools I use and so on.

Please take the time to answer the poll question - along with leaving feedback in the thread about the types of things you'd like to see in the course! Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Describe to me your perfect course! If it includes all those things, then great - details are appreciated as we want to incorporate a style that everyone can not only enjoy, but learn from and apply to every day investing.

Reminds me of the 80/20 guideline. If possible, give me the 20% that delivers the 80% of what's really needed. After that, the rest can be filled in either by myself &/or thru 'advanced' courses.

•••
@Ali Zandi: everybody has a different learning style that's why I asked. I would like downloadable tutorials with maybe a some videos explaining some key points that need specific emphasizing. Maybe every some kind of short motivational video that would inspire and keep us engaged. I only would add that because people get discouraged so quickly and quit because they dont get instant gratification. ( think about the diet /diet pill/supplement industry) so the motivation will help keep your students engaged.

•••
@Ali Zandi: everybody has a different learning style that's why I asked. I would like downloadable tutorials with maybe a some videos explaining some key points that need specific emphasizing. Maybe every some kind of short motivational video that would inspire and keep us engaged. I only would add that because people get discouraged so quickly and quit because they dont get instant gratification. ( think about the diet /diet pill/supplement industry) so the motivation will help keep your students engaged.

I believe a course that allows for downloadable material is a good method as well. To keep it engaging by offering tests, homework and weekly goals would help with the motivation.

On a side note - if people are willing to quit, then they don't want it bad enough. You have to want it more than you want to breath. That is a famous quote and something I live by.

•••
I think this could really benefit the community, I say go for it :)
Free would be better but if a lot of resources are put into such a course I'm sure people would be willing to contribute.

•••
@Ali Zandi. I like your comittment. Im very similar as i go 2 speeds, all or nothing. If I'm going to do something, I'm gonna kick a$$ at it.

•••
I think this could really benefit the community, I say go for it :)
Free would be better but if a lot of resources are put into such a course I'm sure people would be willing to contribute.

I agree - the objective is indeed to help the community! A lot of resources will be put into place, however, I think the benefits to the community by launching it as a free course will be much greater.

•••
•••
I will definitely take a course if it will be free, and think about it if it will cost depends on how much it will cost :)

•••
I'd definitely take the course, Ali! :)

It would be better if it's for free but I'd understand if you decide to ask money for it. It probably took you months or years of trial and error just to be in the position you're in right now. You deserve to get paid for it (but please don't make it too expensive so beginners like me can afford haha).

•••
Great idea! I also love the idea of accreditations, it could really help lower the number of scammers about on the net.
Thumbs up from me, and I'd say the course should be paid - you have to spend money to make money!

•••
You know what would be more interesting? A course with an accreditation of some sort at the end, and refresher courses to maintain accredidation
Badges are cool but will add nothing to your bottom line. You don't need 'accreditation' to sell domains. Never did. You just need to have the right inventory. A 'certification' from some obscure organization nobody knows about, will not impress people.

There needs to be a 'Federation of domain resellers' or something similar, with a paid membership and certain ethics and standards to adhere to. With a badge that accredited members can display on their web properties & social profiles.
There was such a thing in the past: DNOA. It vanished for lack of interest apparently.

I don't see the need for a domainer body to engage end users. A domainer advocacy body to lobby on our behalf, maybe. But again we already have one, that domainers don't care about.

If you trade domain names in a professional capacity and you are incorporated, then you can already join well-known bodies like BBB. For example, NJ, Sedo, and many registrars are BBB members.

Courses in fact already exist the form of ebooks or online 'college'. And some of them don't seem to be that good, because they peddle bad advice, that could potentially cause legal trouble.

To get to the point: why should Flippa charge users for the privilege of learning how to maximize the Flippa platform ? This is what it's all about.

•••
I think the REAL point sits here

we are planning on developing a course to teach you the a-z's of becoming a profitable Super Seller utilizing the Flippa platform!

This is a course about how to sell on Flippa...so..you pay for the course to pay them more auction fees and more success fees which is something completely different to a course that teaches people how to learn domaining.
At least let's hope the course will be free.

If domainers keep going around saying that " a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it ( which btw is BS imo but this is not the point... ) what are you folkies expecting to learn?

•••
There was such a thing in the past: DNOA. It vanished for lack of interest apparently.

It would have been funnier if the accreditation had DOA as an acronym.

•••
Hey Ali Man,
I Placed my Vote :)
I'm all for this. And think it is a great idea...

"Why A course? When there is tons of information out there on Google"
Really....????
Why a Car, when you can walk? Why College, when there is the Internet? Why a Pet Store, when there are stray animals? Why an Ipod, when there are CD's?
It is the simple fact that everything is provided to you in 1 place for convenience and easy access. + more.

I understand a lot of people are weighing in both ways and some extras clearly...
But all this is just for a good purpose. Educational, fun, extra perks and more.
Bottom line, It's to help. And is a good idea.

Alis looking for feedback and opinions on how to make the experience better for their users.

And I understand that fully.
I've just launched something semi-similar a little bit ago (based strictly on simplicity, fun, knowledge and perks for the users) so everything is "All in One Place" for the user.
But it pertains specifically to Domain Education and for Learning about the Domain Industry in a whole.
Not specifically designed for flippa.
So yes, that needs to be done on Flippa.
That is a no brainer. Especially because Flippa has the funds and means to do this...
So with that being said... they really should go all out.

The one that I created, aka Domain Krack, is still in development mode, but is live and active and can still be used. Take a Krack at it. It's free, fun and you win domain names. Actually good domain names. Domains that you can flip for Thousands.
It's called www.DomainKrack.com so check it out.

And no, I am not using this to "advertise". If you visit the site I made, you will see why I am mentioning it on Alis Poll.
As it pertains to Domain Knowledge, Challenging, yet fun, and Education about the Domain Industry.
So it goes hand in hand on what he is about to do.

If you want to be successful in this industry, you need to learn.
You need to know about the industry you are getting into, if you are not already in it.
And you need to constantly stay updated.
There is a lot to do, a lot to know and a lot to learn when it comes to Domaining.
It never stops and is only expanding.

So the concept that you have is a great idea, because it can really help Domainers learn the ropes of becoming a Super Seller. And it can really help those who need that "extra push" become successful doing so finally.
If you can make if have some sort of accreditation at the end like @
PugDomainsLtd said; that would be awesome 100%.
Especially if it, helps them, while at the same time gives them some other sort of "label" on flippa.
This will help peoples sales and give them a title other than "1 year seller" ect...
And I agree. Greed is Ruling. This is another reason why flippa should go all out on it.
Go for it dude. Good stuff.

•••
The plan is to launch this course for free! :) We are still working out the details! Thanks for all your feedback folks, it's really helping!

•••
•••
As a heads up, I'd be interested in the course and would be willing to pay for it. More knowledge, the better I say.

•••
I'm all for. New to Flippa and the perks of it, but seems like a nice platform.

•••
@Ali Zandi I think in terms of the structure and plan layout, why not ask the more experienced and business/full time domainers to list in bullet point form. If they did it as a hindsight view, how, if they were to have there time again, which they would consider the most beneficial and apt on the route to their success now.

If you then collate the data it should give a rounded structure from newbie to success. Also ask for a brief list of pitfalls at any given points in their careers, and highlight those throughout the course in the relevant point in the learning curve.

If it were structured with bullet points system those domainers who feel they are beyond that point could skip through the course and not get bored covering old ground.

As for me I will do the whole thing. I wish you every success with it.

•••
@Ali Zandi I think in terms of the structure and plan layout, why not ask the more experienced and business/full time domainers to list in bullet point form. If they did it as a hindsight view, how, if they were to have there time again, which they would consider the most beneficial and apt on the route to their success now.

If you then collate the data it should give a rounded structure from newbie to success. Also ask for a brief list of pitfalls at any given points in their careers, and highlight those throughout the course in the relevant point in the learning curve.

If it were structured with bullet points system those domainers who feel they are beyond that point could skip through the course and not get bored covering old ground.

As for me I will do the whole thing. I wish you every success with it.

I agree with you! I would love to hear everyones bullet points, from what the newer in the industry would like to see all the way to what the veterans have to add. It is all highly valuable to the development of the course.

•••
Knowledge is power, as well as action.
Definitely vote Yay.

•••
Absolutely I would take this course! I'm fairly new to Domaining. I've done it off and on for several years (mostly off) however mid last year I developed an extreme passion for domaining. EXTREME passion! I've had several sales in the $xxx's (majority in the $x to $xx range though) I would certainly like to learn Flippa's platform better as to be honest I haven't had a whole lot of success there....YET! I'm constantly reading as much as i can as well as learning all I can. Ali, you have a tremendous reputation and I would certainly take note and learn all I can from you. This course would be so very greatly appreciated. Thank you, Alan

•••
Ali, sounds like a fantastic idea you truly are a nice genuine guy. The fact that you want to share your ideas and techniques with the community to teach us newbies is very nice and humbleing.

I look forward to hearing more on the course in due course.

•••
A course is good. I see that all agree to it. It should be paid but not over priced, affordable, if its paid then it should not be an emphasis on how well you can sell at flippa platform, you can provide such a course for free since you (flippa) will benefit the most from it, so charging something by selling it to this community and then again following back to flippa to give flippa more revenue should not be the style. If that is what your aim is then you can give that for free and members will learn that and then they will provide flippa the revenue with what they have learned.

The second case is when you want to help the community you can take off the emphasis on flippa and teach how to do all these stuffs and how to sell it at any platform. You can charge a fee for the course. I think that is the better way.

•••
Thank you Ali for great idea.

I think that due to your enthusiasm Flippa and domaining moved really far in just few weeks. Making domaining regular businesses for everybody and legitimizing it is great way and of course both domainers and market will benefit on the end.

Building such course would be amazing and if it would be free .... I do not have words.

I have few suggestions which might be bit business oriented.

I think the course could have multiple levels, which would reflect seller status on Flippa.

Newbies would have access to basic course. Once you have good selling and buying record you could "unlock: advanced levels of courses. People would flip more, Flippa would earn more :)

I do also suggest dividing course in to different paths since as I there are many ways domain business work (Flipping, Developing, Parking). There is huge amount of information to be covered so dividing it in to classes "like in games" could give more fun. "Flipper level 3, Developer level 1"

Badges and achievements works well for some, why not to use them.

Achievers could be offered perks, like Flippa upgrades, possibly you can use this course to recruit new talents in to (what I presume) will be fast growing company.

Having hot and knowledgeable chick on the course can also bring more views :)

Finally, you can legitimize domaining by making presenations or whole course in the university. While it takes some time (I know I was assistant once), it can pay of in long run. And there is quite a bit of research already done.

I have one more business idea, but I will prefer to keep if for private conversation :) Once I finalize it.

Have a nice day.

Muttus

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back