Dynadot

Domain Broker - Worth it for $xx,xxx purchase (not sale)?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth

Established Member
Impact
EDIT: After several answers and discussions, I have come to the conclusion that you do not need a domain broker for a single purchase DN transaction. Instead, you should consider them when (note: this only applies to purchasing, not selling domains):

a) You have a set budget and are looking for a premium domain that meets your criteria (i.e: not one specific domain)
b) Feel you cannot adequately negotiate such that you'd waste the 15 - 20% broker commission
c) Aren't confident in doing the transfer process for yourself

Hello everyone,

I've searched forums for "domain broker" and almost all threads are on selling domain names or a portfolio of domain names. I'm interested in buying a premium, one word dictionary / generic domain name that I'd be willing to pay up to around $30,000 for. I am an end-user. Would it be worth it for me to find a domain broker for BUYING a domain name, especially given I have not engaged in domain name second-market activity before? It's an interesting dynamic, given the broker is actually encouraged to buy it at the highest price possible within your budget. I have found a ton of opinions on using domain brokers to sell names, but not on buying them. Thanks.

P.S (skip if not going to warn me): Before the crusade of warnings come in about making a high value purchase, I want to say this: The domain name is worth at the lowest $1x,xxx and likely worth around $5x,xxx based on comparable sales for similar domain name length, brandability, and being a decent, albeit not entirely relevant, keyword (100k - 1m monthly searches + Alexa ranking despite no developed website all from type-in traffic, sub 10 million ranking). It's the type of name I wouldn't mind owning for 10+ years even if my intended use for it fails. It's not a banned domain. If you want to issue a warning anyway, that's fine, but I don't intend on attempting to purchase this name until I've slept on it for a while and have had adequate time to think it over. Until then, I'd like the question above answered. Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Hi Aspiring,

Nice to see you again. I'm fairly confident the value of this domain is beyond my current budget, but I could raise capital if the owner settles on lower end of range of valuation. I'll likely contact them and see how it goes later on. I have no issue with emotions when it comes to investing. That said, the larger the investment becomes, the more certain I want to be of its resale value in case of failure so I'll be doing more reading.
Hi again.

What I meant by saying "emotions" is that you may not be able to (for example) counter aggressively enough while negotiating, or be able to wait a couple of weeks before replying to the owner to let him know that you're not impulsive. You've already put the name on a pedestal, which is not always a good perception to have when negotiating as a buyer.

I don't doubt your ability to negotiate, nor am I discouraging you from reading more. But (just like within your industry) specific advice from domainers with "actual experience" in a specific matter will trump any similar-topic reading. The advice and guidance is free after all.

See this post as an example of how advice from the right people can help : https://www.namepros.com/threads/my-first-big-aftermarket-buy-should-i-go-for-it.994650/

Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
If you decide to go that route, pre-negotiate a flat fee with the acquisition broker - that way, their goal is to get the deal done, not to jack the price up for a %.

Great advice to keep from paying too much!!

•••
Yes I read some of that thread, was educational. I think the name is awesome. That said, I can think it's awesome and not buy it ;). I disclosed the DN to Bannen because he asked and seems like a reputable member here for his advice. He gave me a realistic opinion which has set my expectations in the appropriate zone for any future actions I take. I'll come back for more advice if I take further actions. My initial inquiry has been answered more than adequately though: I do not need a domain broker for this type of transaction. Thank you everyone.

•••
Yes I read some of that thread, was educational. I think the name is awesome. That said, I can think it's awesome and not buy it ;). I disclosed the DN to Bannen because he asked and seems like a reputable member here for his advice. He gave me a realistic opinion which has set my expectations in the appropriate zone for any future actions I take. I'll come back for more advice if I take further actions. My initial inquiry has been answered more than adequately though: I do not need a domain broker for this type of transaction. Thank you everyone.
That's an awesome attitude to have, and best of luck.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back