IT.COM

debate Domain age is myth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
I sold many Handreg and new domains to end users but till now i am not able to sell a single aged domain to enduser in my portfolio.
Enduser all about cares about name. What u say ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because there is a difference between a trajectory of value and one of age of an actually registered domain.

I'm referring to the 100 years "aged wine" statement. Surely we aren't dealing with wine here but with digital assets maxing out at 30 years of age.

•••
Using your logic, all aged domains are merely being held in order to be salvaged from competing interests.

This discussion has taken a statement of frustration ("domain age is a myth") by a seller who could not flip aged domains (yet to specify how old) to new heights.

•••
I'm referring to the 100 years "aged wine" statement. Surely we aren't dealing with wine here but with digital assets maxing out at 30 years of age.

Then you aren't familiar with a graph showing when on a timeline values corresponding to domains would reach their peak values.

•••
Then you aren't familiar with a graph showing when on a timeline values corresponding to domains would reach their peak values.

Assuming such a fine chart exists, do produce it. I am in need of post-midnight entertainment.

•••
Using your logic, all aged domains are merely being held in order to be salvaged from competing interests.

There is no denying of the existence of competition for the resources that are scarce. Even crows know it and go on picking up the shiniest object first ;)

•••
There is no denying of the existence of competition for the resources that are scarce. Even crows know it and go on picking up the shiniest object first ;)

This discussion deviates fast from anything remotely assisting newbies to comprehend the role of age in domain valuation. Colorful, yet monochromatic. Waiting for that chart, NL. Don't disappoint me now.

•••
When the domain field first opened up, scarcity did not exist. One had to be a smart crow to pick up objects that weren't really shiny by default.

So now, yes, you can talk about scarcity once these domains were secured, and make references to crows that picked up the shiny objects first. But was that the case? You'd be surprised by some of the domains that existed up to around 2000, not always the best of the bunch.

•••
So now, yes, you can talk about scarcity once these domains were secured, and make references to crows that picked up the shiny objects first.

You are wrongly making assumptions about the time-period I was referring to. As you have stated yourself, the 3rd period of domain registrations, after the biggest drop down cycle of the yearly 2000's would certainly qualify as such.

•••
This discussion deviates fast from anything remotely assisting newbies to comprehend the role of age in domain valuation. Colorful, yet monochromatic.

That's a part and parcel of the notion of age associated with archaic consciousness that had no differentiation in the color spectrum we avail ourselves of today.

•••
You are wrongly making assumptions about the time-period I was referring to. As you have stated yourself, the 3rd period of domain registrations, after the biggest drop down cycle of the yearly 2000's would certainly qualify as such.

Oh, I was wrong - again? I seem to be accused of wrongness often in your ever-winding quotes.

Perhaps if you were more direct and less driven by colorful descriptions of other people's "assumptions" we'd hold a real conversation.

On subject, domain value exists outside of age. Many great domains were registered in later years. My point is, that most aged domains have value, as worthless domains that remained aged for a while eventually drop.

That's the shiny objects that crows can't eat.

•••
That's a part and parcel of the notion of age associated with archaic consciousness that had no differentiation in the color spectrum we avail ourselves of today.

This isn't a competition about the best intro to a domain novella. It's about newbie domainers and aged domains, how do they learn domain value and achieve more sales.

•••
100 years old wine bottles doesn't need a name. Just rich and wise client who knows how to keep wine from turning to vinegar. Share your vision with the people & and give us a space without "You are wrong". We're here to share knowledge (more or less correct) and learn from each other.
oldyear.jpg

•••
good luck lol with selling your domains(y)
but where i can sell domains to end user ?? any websites?
please help me
is sedo and flippa or other domain markets are selling to end user ?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway (illegitimate) domains rarely are used for more than a year.

Could you elaborate on ranking (age-wise) or standing (legitimacy, etc) with respect to the following:

1. 10 year old domain with 1 year left of expiration vs a new domain registered 10 years in advance;

2. 10 year old expired domain in the redemption period (expired, with no certain future) vs a new domain with at least 1 year of renewal;

3. 10 year old domain with 1 year of renewal secured vs 1 year old domain with 10 years of future renewals paid for....

•••
Assuming such a fine chart exists, do produce it. I am in need of post-midnight entertainment.

Would gladly oblige against your submission of a record proving in no uncertain mathematical terms that most aged domains are of a good/high quality.

•••
My point is, that most aged domains have value, as worthless domains that remained aged for a while eventually drop.

Do you think that domains are subject to the survival of the fittest in the way found in nature? In an ideal world they would be, had it not been for the fact that the verdict on their survival is often delivered on a whim by the domain holder driven by purely subjective or random factors.

•••
thank lol for video .
nice one(y)

•••
100 years old wine bottles doesn't need a name

No, not in the closeted space of a wine connoisseur. Should it be actual for them to venture out of their gilded cage of a wine cellar, to pass the food, health and safety inspection, they'd surely need a name with a label too.

•••
I agree with you @Isac all the names I have sold are hand regs. It’s the name that matters. A better question is why are so many aged domains not sold after ten or fifteen years? Not relevant anymore? Exorbitant price? Simple answer nobody liked them enough. End user has to like the name.

Domain investors are the ones most concerned with age.

Agree, most of end user don't care about age. Every year I buy about 20-25 domains and sell them within two years - if not - drop them after two years. I do NOT get that big $$$$$$ - still I make good amount of money to cover my expenses and time spent on.

•••
OK i see you have experience in domains Anjie and other here, can you please know if my
these domains good or not :
PHARM.GLOBAL
ESPRESSO.GLOBAL
VIRTUALOFFICE.GLOBAL

i will be thankful

•••
Agree, most of end user don't care about age. Every year I buy about 20-25 domains and sell them within two years - if not - drop them after two years. I do NOT get that big $$$$$$ - still I make good amount of money to cover my expenses and time spent on.

That makes you a domain flipper with a bad taste for choosing domains that'd produce great ROI.

Keep in mind that if you buy from the basket, you sell from the basket.

•••
I am not saying that I am expert or a domain flipper. Most of my domains are sold to end user. I can see those websites online now. As I said, I do not get big $$, all of them went... $300 - $3000.

•••
Domain harvesting is a somewhat extinct now. People want fast turnover. Most buyers will skip Aged domain since they were not indexed, lack any authority and prices are over the roof. New handregs, relevant to their business and at good prices, is what they will go for.

•••
Not a myth completely but definitely too much over rated.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back