Dynadot

debate Domain age is myth

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
I sold many Handreg and new domains to end users but till now i am not able to sell a single aged domain to enduser in my portfolio.
Enduser all about cares about name. What u say ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
When an end user makes a $100 offer for a domain registered 20 years ago, that doesn't even cover registration fees. Then, when you tell them that, they say, "well, you didn't sell it for 20 years". That response simply shows their lack of education, at which point you terminate the exchange.

Strongly agree.

•••
Old or new, if one adopts your Recipe for a profitable domain name, there is ZERO chance of failure. Thank you. I repeat your recipe here, it is worth reading it again and again:
1. Quality
2. Length
3. Age
4. TM risk
5. Keywords
6. History
7. Amount of TLDs regged.
8. Amount of identifiable endusers
9. Fits a niche a previous client, friend, or family member might be interested in.
10. Drops
11. Intuition
12. Trends
13. Comparable reported sales
14. Search volume
15. CPC
16. Other

I should add that these metrics were listed in no particular order, and additions are welcomed. Think of how you sort your drop lists, what you value the most, and why.

Could one develop some type of standard, or checklist of most desirable metrics in a hierarchical format? Possibly define values [metric positions] with if, than, = to parameters.

Some metrics, such as #9, could trump all other metrics. Just because a domain is long, or doesn't have desirable metrics, it doesn't mean you should ignore the request from #9.

If a domain has been registered since the early 90's, and you have the opportunity to buy in the $XX range, is age alone an automatic buy indicator?

Last edited:
•••
I should add that these metrics were listed in no particular order, and additions are welcomed. Think of how you sort your drop lists, what you value the most, and why.

Could one develop some type of standard, or checklist of most desirable metrics in a hierarchical format? Possibly define values [metric positions] with if, than, = to parameters.

Some metrics, such as #9, could trump all other metrics. Just because a domain is long, or doesn't have desirable metrics, it doesn't mean you should ignore the request from #9.

If a domain has been registered since the early 90's, and you have the opportunity to buy in the $XX range, is age alone an automatic buy indicator?

Good point

•••
It is quite interesting to mention here one reality how aged domain names are bulldozered. One NamePros buyer wants to buy Two word .com domain names, they should be at least 15 years of age, and he is willing to pay the price between $ 10 to $ 50 per domain name. I do not know how the advocates of aged domain names are going to digest this fact.

•••
One NamePros buyer wants to buy Two word .com domain names, they should be at least 15 years of age, and he is willing to pay the price between $ 10 to $ 50 per domain name. I do not know how the advocates of aged domain names are going to digest this fact.

Advocates of aged domains have no problem digesting this fact. Experienced buyers of aged domains generally understand that age alone doesn't justify value. If you sort GoDaddy closeout domains by age, and filter via .com, english, two words, no numbers or dashes, you will find many following aged .com's for purchase between $13 and $26.

upload_2018-1-1_15-55-6.png

The OP of the WTB thread you suggested could buy as many domains within their WTB criteria via GD closeouts, yet he/she is asking NP, because I assume they are selective, and understand metrics are secondary to the name itself. Otherwise, they wouldn't need to buy via NP, because they could essentially buy thousands of aged domains within their criteria at expired registrar auctions. Their budget suggests they are looking for a deal, and at that price range, it isn't likely they are receiving top tier aged domains.

**notice there aren't any domains listed above at GD closeout regged from 1995 or earlier with the WTB criteria?**

Last edited:
•••
Advocates of aged domains have no problem digesting this fact. Experienced buyers of aged domains generally understand that age alone doesn't justify value. If you sort GoDaddy closeout domains by age, and filter via .com, english, two words, no numbers or dashes, you will find many following aged .com's for purchase between $13 and $26.

Show attachment 76626

The OP of the WTB thread you suggested could buy as many domains within their WTB criteria via GD closeouts, yet he/she is asking NP, because I assume they are selective, and understand metrics are secondary to the name itself. Otherwise, they wouldn't need to buy via NP, because they could essentially buy thousands of aged domains within their criteria at expired registrar auctions. Their budget suggests they are looking for a deal, and at that price range, it isn't likely they are receiving top tier aged domains.

**notice there aren't any domains listed above at GD closeout regged from 1995 or earlier with the WTB criteria?**

Is it worth or good idea to hold a domain for 15 years and finally sell it between $13 and $26? Except a few, most of the aged domain names remained unsold because of "poor" quality only.

•••
It all boils down to how bad the buyer wants it.

•••
It is quite interesting to mention here one reality how aged domain names are bulldozered. One NamePros buyer wants to buy Two word .com domain names, they should be at least 15 years of age, and he is willing to pay the price between $ 10 to $ 50 per domain name. I do not know how the advocates of aged domain names are going to digest this fact.

We digest it just fine, because we sell to end users, not the above idiots.

•••
Do you acknowledge 4L.com's regged in 1996 are generally worth more and/or of better quality than what you will find with a 2006 registration date?

This simply tells you that age could be an indicator of greater value.

If you could go back in a time machine to 1996, and you could only register one 4L.com, what would you register?

This is slightly off and serves as a passing reference to the above quote, but to answer a question if age adds to the value of a domain, you need to ask yourself what would happen to the (current,) value of a name if you could go back in time and change its registration date by several years. Would it affect its price ? Because the answer coming from the experts was given in unison with a no.

•••
We digest it just fine, because we sell to end users, not the above idiots.

If you needed $50 paypal'd fast, and you couldn't get in touch with any of your peeps, then you can put a quality aged domain on NP at $50 BIN and receive your funds in a matter of minutes (if your post specifies payment guidelines) At that point, you might be the idiot for putting yourself in a position needing to sell quick, but the point I'm trying to make is there aren't many domains that sell within the first hour of posting for $50+ on NP, unless it's aged, and/or of quality. The namepros domain sales ecosystem in comparison to the entire industry truly is unique. Unique not necessarily meaning right, or always accurate, but it's unique in the market tells / trends it accumulates.

•••
This simply tells you that age could be an indicator of greater value.

Agreed. And if the 2006 example hasn't been dropped, and was the first time regged. It tells me that it took 10 whole years for somebody to first reg it, in comparison to the 1996 domain. Does that mean junk domains weren't registered in 1996? No, and over time, more junk is dropped, and loses it's original age. Does that mean all new regs are junk? Absolutely not. But if you take a random bulk sample of domains regged in 1994 vs a random 2014 same, surely most, if not all will be able to tell the difference in value.

This is slightly off and serves as a passing reference to the above quote, but to answer a question if age adds to the value of a domain, you need to ask yourself what would happen to the (current,) value of a name if you could go back in time and change its registration date by several years. Would it affect its price ? Because the answer coming from the experts was given in unison with a no.

I get what you're saying, but it's not the point I am speaking to.

If I were to go back in time to change a registration date, it would simply be a made-up metric. True age metric, means somebody had the foresight to by it before somebody else.

To put this into more recent perspective, and ignoring any domainer hype, when emoji's were first able to be registered in .WS, which emoji's were regged first by non-domainers. I don't know the answer off the top of my head (I will find out), but let's say it was the eggplant emoji (which currently redirects to somebody's twitter page)... If somebody else tried to register the eggplant emoji .ws, then they would have seen somebody else had beat them to it. Should they had a time machine, they could have went back before the reg date, and regged it before the original owner. Back to present date, anybody who wants the eggplant emoji .ws, will now have to offer the current owner a price they are willing to part with, and thus justification is added to the aged domain. Now you may say there are thousands, of emoji's, so any single emoji has value, but until the market develops, the value is more so dependent on the popularity / possible uses for the emoji, than the domain itself being an emoji domain. So even if the eggplant emoji domain sells for a pretty penny, that in itself does not mean all emoji domain's are worth a similar or equal value just because it matches a length, or age metric.

Again, just ranting. Any suggestions / debate is welcomed.

Last edited:
•••
If you needed $50 paypal'd fast, and you couldn't get in touch with any of your peeps, then you can put a quality aged domain on NP at $50 BIN and receive your funds in a matter of minutes (if your post specifies payment guidelines) At that point, you might be the idiot for putting yourself in a position needing to sell quick, but the point I'm trying to make is there aren't many domains that sell within the first hour of posting for $50+ on NP, unless it's aged, and/or of quality. The namepros domain sales ecosystem in comparison to the entire industry truly is unique. Unique not necessarily meaning right, or always accurate, but it's unique in the market tells / trends it accumulates.

If you had a quality, aged domain your first step would be to price it way, WAY more than $50.

If you needed $50, there are many ways to make this kind of money.

Domain investors selling to each other as their sole way of performing "domaining" is a failed modus operandi.

•••
If you had a quality, aged domain your first step would be to price it way, WAY more than $50.

In the past three years, how many quality aged domains have you (question open to all members) picked up for less than $50?

In asking that question, I think I answered my question to this subset. I haven't picked up many quality aged domains for less than $50, thus selling for $50 doesn't really make sense given how rare it is to come across one at that price.

•••
If a domain is "timeless" in it's quality, then its age is definitelyyy not crucial.

Last edited:
•••
Many members on domain forums have sold and continue to sell undervalued domains, for $10 or $100. As the $50 figure was more or less arbitrary, and age isn't defined (5 years? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years?) there is no real answer.

Long term, domains you pick up and hold must pass a survival test.

This thread exists as a failed attempt to discount age in determining domain value and subsequent sales price.

•••
This thread exists as a failed attempt to discount age in determining domain value and subsequent sales price.

Well, now that has been squashed, this thread can exist to explain why, when, and how domain age add's value. I think you just summarized what took me thousands of words and multiple posts to explain, survival test. Thanks for the definition of the day.

•••
The OP's assumption was that by picking up expired domains at GoDaddy auctions he'd be set for life flipping them. That's not how it works.

•••
The OP's assumption was that by picking up expired domains at GoDaddy auctions he'd be set for life flipping them. That's not how it works.

Well, if somebody had quoted some baseline statistics, we could establish some reference points... ie How many domains expire, and sell on GD expired auction for under $50, categorized via WHOIS reg year? (mind you some are renewed)

I know that might be a hard stat to to fully dig. But as a baseline, right now on GoDaddy closeouts, there are:

0 domains regged since 1994 or earlier
2 domains regged since 1995
5 domains regged since 1996
12 domains regged since 1997
32 domains regged since 1998

How many are worth the closeout price + renewal? And/or will sell within an hour on NP for $50?

upload_2018-1-4_15-16-23.png

upload_2018-1-4_15-17-34.png

•••
Newbie mistakes:
  • Everyone will hold my hand, forever
  • I heard that flipping domains is the way to success
  • GoDaddy Auctions is the best place to get aged domains
  • All old domains will sell for more than I paid at the auction
  • I couldn't replicate the success of others, therefore the paradigm is wrong

•••
Newbie mistakes:
Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture
Or just let it slip?
  • Everyone will hold my hand, forever
His palms are sweaty
  • I heard that flipping domains is the way to success
knees weak
  • GoDaddy Auctions is the best place to get aged domains
arms are heavy
  • All old domains will sell for more than I paid at the auction
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
  • I couldn't replicate the success of others, therefore the paradigm is wrong
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready.

•••
That's great stuff for an one act theatrical play :-D "Domainer's Room."

•••
I sold many Handreg and new domains to end users but till now i am not able to sell a single aged domain to enduser in my portfolio.
Enduser all about cares about name. What u say ?

It could be speculated that the end-user cares first and foremost about the quality of a domain over its age.
The seller's argument should include the domain's age, as a pricing factor. It does instill legitimacy and value.

Should a potential valuation of an example domain, nnbvcxcvbnmnnxc.dot com hypothetically registered two decades ago include age as a positive factor capable of instilling legitimacy ?

The only joke here is your lack of understanding the value of an aged domain.

The value of an aged domain is conditioned upon its quality almost without reservations (save for cases of acquiring back-linked domain for parking, etc purposes).

Because the age of the domain establishes other parameters related to valuation. It also establishes a legal grip on the domain. When someone feels inclined to aggressively seek a low price, you can slap them with the domain's registration date: e.g. 10 years ago.

Age considerations go in both directions, upwards (if the domain is clear and free of legal incumbencies), or downwards (if the history of the domain plays against its value in instances of banned domains).

The value is in a mix of things, including age. If you don't believe me, my biggest sales involve domains I held for a decade or more.

It's a testimony to your good taste and expertise in spotting domains slipped by quality over quantity.

Last edited:
•••
The value is in a mix of things, including age. If you don't believe me, my biggest sales involve domains I held for a decade or more.

Two questions to be asked:

1. When you first registered a domain that you held continuously for a decade or more, was it a fresh domain or did it have a history already ?

2. Had it been a then freshly registered domain, is it safe to assume that its age at the time of registration would not have been contributing factor to consider in determining its value ?

•••
I never said every old domain is valuable. And your domain example is also extreme. I don't believe there is a "nnbvcxcvbnmnnxc" sample that'd survive the drop.

But go back and read what this thread's opening post says. I'm simply objecting its argument.

Plenty of arguments here support you can't find good domains that aren't aged, and most aged domains are good. These elements are the opposite of the "myth" references the OP made.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back