NameSilo

Does the world need a better Flippa?

Located in Domain Marketplace Reviews started by Rob Monster, Sep 10, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

Does the world need a better alternative to Flippa

Poll closed Tuesday at 1:34 AM.
  1. Yes, definitely and they are ripe for challenge

81.0%
  2. Yes, but that is going to be a very tough act to follow

9.5%
  3. No, that is insane

9.5%
Total: 21 vote(s)
  1. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

A discussion on NamePros about selling domains has raised the question about whether the world needs an alternative to Flippa for selling entire websites.

My main critique of Flippa:

1. The performance stats and asset description are hard to verify.

2. When you buy a site, the components of the site are often scattered across many places. They are not containerized like what one can do on Docker.

3. Once you buy a site, the buyer may still need help to operate it. This is quite important for someone who is buying a lot of sites and has more money than time!

In the meantime, Epik does operate a domain marketplace. However, often the user is buying a bundle of assets:

- Hosting of code and data
    - Social media handles and App store handles
    - Intellectual property such as trademarks
    - Mobile app(s)

As for payment methods as the web becomes more decentralized, I would expect more transactions to be cleared in crypto.

What would be needed for a game-changing disruptor to challenge Flippa?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. KTC

KTC Established Member

I would say someone that can actually vet sellers and what they are presenting for sale with some accuracy. I would be willing to actually pay some money for something like this.

There are good sellers on that platform, but I've ran across too many people trying to just scam buyers and being able to make a new account not too long after the fact. I have personally fell pray to this when I was new to the game and have never trusted Flippa since.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Infinity

Infinity Love God Love Life ★★★★★★★★★★

enjoyed one of their promotions to re-list my domain/auction for free... innovative thinking

-have a special day

4. urlurl

urlurl Top Member VIP

the million-dollar question is how will you be getting buyers to the platform/site

also, what measures would be in place to ensure there is not shill bidding or manipulation

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. xeroox

xeroox Established Member

The world definitely need a batter alternative then Flippa.
    1. You can make the analytics/earning report mandatory but in the end you can't really check if the stats are all real, the buyer need always to do diligence.
    2. Flippa never checked anything, they let the buyer and seller sort it out. You can implement it like escrow maybe, with milestone, the seller list all the properties and credentials and the buyer need to check everything before releasing the funds.
    3. Flippa doesn't even reply to emails, they for sure won't help you to operate the properties. Maybe you can add a support specific to the hosting section, if the website is with epik you'll handle everything.

6. Welberch

Welberch Welberch, LLC Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

7. Welberch

Domain name investment community needs a cheaper and more efficient domain name auction.

Not a website brokerage service.

We will see a 1% commission hand selected domain name auction sooner or later. It will be a game changer.

Untill then, we are stuck with 9%, 15% or even 25% solutions.

Can you afford to pay 25% commission?

8. Welberch

Website brokerage is outside of the scope of domain name investment industry.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice