IT.COM

discuss Does relationship matter in domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Well, I have been thinking whether relationship matters in domaining or does it not?

When we look at learning about the domain flipping business in general, resources like NamePros and n number of blogs that are out there are not restricted to anyone in the industry. Anyone can go to forums and blogs, read and learn about the industry, how to buy and sell domain names.

When it comes to selling, even then, you know that repeat sales happen only a limited number of times. Also, while you may learn n number of things that work in the market and for your friend, you still have to figure out what works for you! I mean, something that works for your friend may not be the best thing that works for you. Maybe he does geo-domains and you do 4L .coms and a third member does, say new gTLDs. And each of these people is successful in their own area.

For example, Adam Dicker happened to get a bad name in the industry due to some issue or the other. No matter whose fault it was, I believe, that this won't have an impact on his domain sales. A buyer would look at the domain name, either negotiate or press the Buy Now button on the sales page that he lands on, and likes the domain.

However, on the other end, there might be some other places where a relationship may actually play a part. You may connect with some brokers who do terrific business and may actually do amazing business, get you that sale you were looking for and help you with your domaining targets. This may sometimes be life-changing as well.

So, what is your stance on relationship in domaining and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Most people are motivated by profit and if dealing with someone you don't like is part of that then so be it. There is a difference between not liking someone and not trusting them though.

•••
As a hobby I have no need to actively pursue relationships within this industry, very similar to my chess hobby...

This is not a standard "sales" industry.....relationships are nice to build and have in any walk of life and will be profitable in many different industries, with domaining I am not that bothered about building and maintaining them......I have done sales for a long time, have extensive "relationships" with C-Level executives that a lot of domainers would probably love to speak to (I also get repeat business) - BUT, these are my work network and this is my hobby so I will have not and will never mix them together......just my view.......

I actually applied for a broker role within this industry, looking at 1 or 2 days a week and cited my past roles and network, upon reflection I would not of pursued it due to the above reasons and was probably a bit gun ho in my approach and did not think it through properly.......

There are people on here who have sold multiple domains to the same person or business and maintain some kind of relationship with them, but imo this is not the industry standard.

I do think most brokers in this industry have not got deep/good connections with the big corporates and also mid sized companies, no proof, just a gut feeling.......lack of education and marketing within this space is something that can be improved on drastically. Call Marketing VP's, Directors and Global Heads and start a conversation about the benefits of PREMIUM (not anyoldcrap.com) domains (relationship building 101) you can provide stats and proof of concept and get them thinking.....network and write articles (or pay someone to do it) position yourself as a thought leader and keep speaking to decision makers....this in my opinion is how to start and build a relationship, no selling involved just providing relevant, thought provoking content (both verbal and in writing)

Right, I'm done - have had a couple of beers tonight (UK time) so might of rambled in places, but the intention was good? :xf.grin:

•••
Of course relationships matter in domaining, no different than any other business. People share more with those they know and like, than they would to any joe blow. As for domaining, knowing someone that is on the same forum is not the same as knowing that someone in person. Having said that, there are those that do develop 'relationships' from forums where they are more so in contact with each other, and feel comfortable sharing with them and working with them. But having 'in person' relationships is definitely the most advantageous. So attending domaining shows like NamesCon, and others, and going to local meetups etc. is definitely a plus, even if you just go once.

Last edited:
•••
Of course relationships matter in domaining, no different than any other business. People share more with those they know and like, thahey would to any joe blow. As for domaining, knowing someone that is on the same forum is not the same as knowing that someone in person. Having said that, there are those that do develop 'relationships' from forums where they are more so in contact with each other, and feel comfortable sharing with them and working with them. But having 'in person' relationships is definitely the most advantageous. So attending domaining shows like NamesCon, and others, and going to local meetups etc. is definitely a plus, even if you just go once.
This is all about building personal relationships within the industry.......can help with positioning yourself as someone who knows what they are talking about, but for most "domainers" this will have very little impact on sales.....You can also still learn a lot on forums and websites without actively engaging with anyone, just read and learn...

If you are in this industry full time or are looking to make serious money then corporate relationships should be a primary focus....imo

•••
This is all about building personal relationships within the industry...
Right, which is what the OP's title asked - Does relationship matter in domaining?

And I strongly disagree with your assessment that it'll have little impact on sales. I've been to many of the domain conferences, local meetups etc. and have developed great personal relationships that have gotten me introductions to industry players, great domaining and business tips and advice; and into groups, gatherings and places because of so. I know some that have been to only 1 or 2 gatherings, and have built good relationships with others, just by meeting others face to face. Not saying all need to, or it's the only way to do domaining things, it's JMO in regards to the OPs query

•••
When it comes to selling, even then, you know that repeat sales happen only a limited number of times. Also, while you may learn n number of things that work in the market and for your friend, you still have to figure out what works for you! I mean, something that works for your friend may not be the best thing that works for you.

that is perfectly true
I found that its most of the time a bad idea to change strategies while you are in a trade.

when changes are applied
slow and slight changes using exact tracking will be
more meaningful and profitable

what works for domainer X may not work for domainer Y
be aware

For example, Adam Dicker happened to get a bad name in the industry due to some issue or the other. No matter whose fault it was, I believe, that this won't have an impact on his domain sales. A buyer would look at the domain name, either negotiate or press the Buy Now button on the sales page that he lands on, and likes the domain.

Adam Dicker was taking money from domainers in large scale at facebook
and not delivering what he promised
at least not the quality and not in a timely manner.
He was exploiting his great reputation in order to sell crap to domainers.

That said
same may happen anytime again.
( Heros and Gurus - watch out )

But of course a buyer of his domain names resolving at sedo or afternic or dan
wouldn't care and buy anyway

Last edited:
•••
•••
Well, I have been thinking whether relationship matters in domaining or does it not?

When we look at learning about the domain flipping business in general, resources like NamePros and n number of blogs that are out there are not restricted to anyone in the industry. Anyone can go to forums and blogs, read and learn about the industry, how to buy and sell domain names.

When it comes to selling, even then, you know that repeat sales happen only a limited number of times. Also, while you may learn n number of things that work in the market and for your friend, you still have to figure out what works for you! I mean, something that works for your friend may not be the best thing that works for you. Maybe he does geo-domains and you do 4L .coms and a third member does, say new gTLDs. And each of these people is successful in their own area.

However, on the other end, there might be some other places where a relationship may actually play a part. You may connect with some brokers who do terrific business and may actually do amazing business, get you that sale you were looking for and help you with your domaining targets. This may sometimes be life-changing as well.

IMHO as a newbie, it would be an honor and a privilege to have relationships with those who know their craft. I would welcome the opportunity to have a channel of wisdom that I could access to avoid the errors of learning this business.

However, I will follow the thought leaders on NP and cultivate forum relationships until it’s my turn to pay it forward.

•••
Networking with others, building relationships and connections can work wonders.

If you make a connection with somebody in 2020, and keep a relationship with them, then it might be 4 years later in 2024 that you start to do a domain deal with them, but the relationship started somewhere, it started in 2020.

•••
Of course relationships matter in domaining, no different than any other business. People share more with those they know and like, than they would to any joe blow. As for domaining, knowing someone that is on the same forum is not the same as knowing that someone in person. Having said that, there are those that do develop 'relationships' from forums where they are more so in contact with each other, and feel comfortable sharing with them and working with them. But having 'in person' relationships is definitely the most advantageous. So attending domaining shows like NamesCon, and others, and going to local meetups etc. is definitely a plus, even if you just go once.

Exactly they matter 100%, there are cliques, people who will not do business with people, sometimes just due to a previous deal, tweet, political affiliation or debate on an industry forum. Getting relationships with people or companies that buy domains frequently is important.

•••
Back