IT.COM

discuss Does Length of gTLD matter?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
While the big four .com, .net, .org, and .info are all between 3-4 letters, does the length of gTLD matter when it comes down to decision of registering a domain name?

This discussion is more on the length of the TLD itself, and not about the quality of the word, although sometimes the two are somewhat related.

For example,
Would .job do a better job than .jobs because its shorter? (pun intended)
Could .science have been better off with .sci?
Is .click, .travel not doing well because it is too long?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.com's are not all 3 or 4 letters long, those are just the liquid ones .job and .jobs differences are much more than just length similiar to car.com and cars.com, which one would you choose? If you can answer this correctly and explain why then you can probably answer some of your questions on your own.

•••
Im referring to the length of the TLD and not the domain name

•••
This is a great question, and is why I started counting the total amount of characters in a domain name, including the extension. My personal rule: if the characters total at least 16 then the domain may be too long. if it totals 19 or more then the domain is definitely too long. Competition also factors in to this as well. If your competitor has a domain which is 9 total characters and isn't a made up (brandable) word then your name shouldn't be more than 2 characters longer. Of course this is purely my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
I'm sorry I misread your post. In my opinion 8 characters for its use in display ads and links. I doubt many people will ever directly navigate to them via url bar. If they did I'd say 4

•••
I don't think the length will matter as much as having people remember it. Most sites get their traffic from searches, links, etc., so it doesn't matter. However, there are still people that will tell others about your site and they might not give the correct URL. Plus many people aren't familiar with all the new extensions so many of them assume they are seeing an error or typo.

As an example if you had Climbing.rocks, many people telling others verbally or through social, email, etc. will say/assume it's climbingrocks.com.

With the new extensions that most people aren't aware even exist, you will be loosing some traffic to .com, etc..

•••
Just want to add 2 keyword .gtld is not so good in My Opinion regardless oh how short the keywords are.

•••
I don't think the length will matter as much as having people remember it. Most sites get their traffic from searches, links, etc., so it doesn't matter. However, there are still people that will tell others about your site and they might not give the correct URL. Plus many people aren't familiar with all the new extensions so many of them assume they are seeing an error or typo.

As an example if you had Climbing.rocks, many people telling others verbally or through social, email, etc. will say/assume it's climbingrocks.com.

With the new extensions that most people aren't aware even exist, you will be loosing some traffic to .com, etc..

That's helpful. I would like to think that for the more popular site, people will eventually still be able to find your website, but the dot com owner get a bit of extra traffic. Vine.com vs Vine.co for example?

Just want to add 2 keyword .gtld is not so good in My Opinion regardless oh how short the keywords are.

Agree for some of the gTLD but shouldn't apply to all, .xyz for example may be compatible with 2 keyword although .rocks may be tough to justify as it is kinda equivalent to a 3-word dot com.

•••
That's helpful. I would like to think that for the more popular site, people will eventually still be able to find your website, but the dot com owner get a bit of extra traffic. Vine.com vs Vine.co for example?

Agree for some of the gTLD but shouldn't apply to all, .xyz for example may be compatible with 2 keyword although .rocks may be tough to justify as it is kinda equivalent to a 3-word dot com.
I beg to differ, .xyz is not intuitive so you still have to get the user to remember it.

•••

why you think that people will made typo mistakes in the url ? why you automatically think that they will type .com ? you are talking about which population ? US ? the US is serious market and big consumer of .coms, but you ahve to think about the global market, other countries, etc... new generation of internet users are aware and use smartphones very well, so less typing and google prediction :) , the adaptation may be faster than some people are thinking ....

•••
Some people might but there are a very large amount of people that don't even know these new extensions are out there. To many, many people they just aren't aware of the tons of new extensions. A lot of people will write it off as a typo or some kind of mistake. If you want to have a serious website then you won't want to be loosing traffic in any way. That's why the .com domains are worth so much and that's why most people always prefer them. A couple of decades down the road and maybe this won't be an issue, but for now it is.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back