Domain Empire

question Does EMD help SEO?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Does EMD influence Google rank?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • yes

votes
    73.8%
  • no

votes
    11.9%
  • idk

votes
    14.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

JayT

Restricted (85-100%)
Impact
Are exact match domains getting a huge boost in google ranking?
Google 'domain' and see, (past ADS) what is #1? It's domain.com! Other registry are better, bigger, more seo, more traffic, but domain.com on top.

Do search "domains" and what? Surprise, domains.google, ranked #1! Turn the page, just over to p2: domains.me! can you believe it?!? domains.me (.me official homepage) ranks over every other .TLD homepage in existence!

Now the evidence is already pretty convincing, but I check on p3 and there it is finally, domains.com. Domains.com doesn't even have metatags, no robots.txt, I view the site, and it is lacking compared to most! Why does Domains.com rank over a registrar like dynadot.com, p4, for this term?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The previous post is spot on from my experience. EMD has been dialed way back, but it is still worth having if you are going for search engine traffic when it makes sense.

If you wanted to rank for something like "make payments online", sure you would get a little boost by having makepaymentsonline.com, but in that case having the EMD would be a bad choice. The little SEO boost you would get is not worth having such a clumsy name in a very competitive market.

On the other hand, If you wanted to rank for "funny jokes", having funnyjokes.com would be a good choice if the price is right. That name is currently for sale (not mine, wish it was). The search numbers are great and it is not as competitive.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
•••
Just an update...

I did ask about the price of funnyjokes.com

They are asking $382,352 I almost fell of my chair. The price is not right for that name.

Last edited:
•••
I forgot to mention before - EMDs are still a pretty strong ranking factor on Bing. Not as much as they used to be on Google, but seem to be more so than on Google now.

And before you say "pfffft -who cares about Bing?" Bing now has an estimated 21.6% of search share.

•••
In 2013, firesiderv.com was #1, above the manufacture product page on google, with only three backlinks.

EMD may not matter as much as it did, but overall still a large factor in ranking and authority.

•••
It is quite easy to rank in the top positions of Bing with an EMD and a title tag optimized for your keywords.
With Bing sitting at 20 - 30% of US search market share, that is not insignificant.
Great discussion, I couldn't agree more that an EMD encourages other sites to link back to you with your keywords in the anchor text, and it can also help boost CTR - both positive ranking factors.

•••
An EMD gives you a top shelf foundation to build on and it can give you a leg up in the serps.

The quote below is correct for Google, but not for Yahoo and/or Bing.

It's rare... but almost every post in this thread is incorrect.

EMD's do not give SERP boosts, and haven't since at least 2012.

However, and this is a big however, having an EMD improves the occurrence of your EMD keywords being used as anchor text for backlinks.

So if you have an EMD TigerShark.com most of your links will look like this Tiger Shark
This will allow you to rank better for the keyword, allowing your EMD to help you rank better for the keyword.

The top things that matter in 2016 SEO are:
1) The anchor text of Backlinks coming from authoritative sites.
2) Design & User experience
3) On-topc content
4) Social Signals

Those are the facts of SEO in 2016, good luck to all.

•••
Are exact match domains getting a huge boost in google ranking?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Paraphrased ending summary:
Some people complained we were giving too much weight to keywords in domains. We have been thinking about adjusting that mix, so that it wouldn't help you as much.

Last edited:
•••
Good exact match domains also have the added value of type-in traffic. When I type carsforsale.com, I know exactly what I'm going to find.

•••

I doubt the owners of Cars.com or Insurance.com will be switching to a brandable.

TechNews.com - Reg'd in 1994. TechCrunch didn't have a choice. Brandable domains are alternatives to exact match domains.

•••
I doubt the owners of Cars.com or Insurance.com will be switching to a brandable.

Right, why would they? I never implied they should. Their CONTENT and age is what makes them rank high. I am pretty sure had they chosen to rebrand to a new name, they'd have the same ranking.

•••

Matt put out that video right around the time complaints were making them think twice.

They dialed back (as he "threatened") but they did NOT totally eliminate the domain as a ranking factor. Just made it less critical one. EMD's and PMD's are still useful - in some situations more than others.

In theory they bring type-in traffic. More true of single word or strong 2-word phrases. And mobile/voice search may be heavily cutting into direct navigation overall, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Last edited:
•••
Right, why would they? I never implied they should. Their CONTENT and age is what makes them rank high. I am pretty sure had they chosen to rebrand to a new name, they'd have the same ranking.

I'm not discounting the importance of good content. I'm disagreeing with the idea a brandable domain is easier to market or remember.

People use brandables because the good .com's are unavailable.

•••
I'm not discounting the importance of good content. I'm disagreeing with the idea a brandable domain is easier to market or remember.

People use brandables because the good .com's are unavailable.
I agree.

I feel like there's a big misconception among domainers, though, that an EMD is going to rocket a brand new site to the top of searches. As much as I would love for that to be true, it simply isn't.

•••
Good exact match domains also have the added value of type-in traffic. When I type carsforsale.com, I know exactly what I'm going to find.
Yea usually! I do remember our computer class in school, whitehouse.com was pretty popular.

•••
Which forums are good to join for SEO purpose?

•••
From my experience, everything that Google announces has to be taken with a grain of salt. And what they say that they will penalize or doesn't work anymore usually works best :) Contextual links from blog posts still work best or we wouldn't have so many clients on a regular basis...

•••
Oh they work ... but if you've ever cleaned up a Penguin or manual penalty, you'll appreciate linking discreetly. Especially if you haven't gone to great lengths to hide your blog network. Blend in with other sites in the vertical, don't stand out.

•••
Oh they work ... but if you've ever cleaned up a Penguin or manual penalty, you'll appreciate linking discreetly. Especially if you haven't gone to great lengths to hide your blog network. Blend in with other sites in the vertical, don't stand out.

I wasn't talking about blog networks. Those get found sooner or later. But if you have a natural looking citation from Huffpost.com then no one will suspect it ;)

•••
•••
I can't believe some people push that it doesn't matter. Some might say 'a little helpful' I am finding that it helps immensely. I never looked into it very hard until now... Here are some facts i found from a study (couple years old though)
  • Keyword domains rank on average 11% higher than branded domains.
  • Brand (non-EMD) domains needed an average of 40,000 more links to hit position one,and 35,000 more links to reach the Top 10.
  • Branded domains needed 69% higher Domain Authority and 22% higher Page Authority to rank in the Top 10.
  • Keyword domains were able to reach position one with half as much content, and only using the keyword half as frequently.
All the terms i'm checking are page one. I guess a better topic would have been "why do people think EMD hardly matters?"

With regards to SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION everybody offers their very own viewpoint as well as everybody believes their own viewpoint is actually correct. Me personally as well. Precise complement domain names (EMD) tend to be precisely what these people seem like. Should you desired to produce a website to focus on the actual keyword “New You are able to Attractions” the actual EMD will be NewYorkAttractions. com or even. internet or even. org. Just in case you’ve already been residing below the rock and roll using the Fraggles,. com is actually what you need to usually opt for if it's obtainable. Otherwise obtainable as well as you've got a option in between. internet as well as. org I'd observe exactly what your own keyword is all about and find out in the event that this suits to the. org way of thinking (which in my experience is actually which. org’s seem like expert websites regarding subjects which are severe or even important). Therefore with regard to NewYorkAttractions I’d like the. internet within the. org. We don’t believe Search engines cares for you in either case when it comes to the actual Search page results for those who have the. internet or even. org, however I believe getting the correct expansion may boost the portion associated with mouse clicks you receive through individuals once they research Search engines. Basically would possess a website regarding wellness, really I actually do possess a website regarding wellness, and also the. com had been used as well as We find the. org expansion within the. internet expansion. Wellness in my experience is really a severe subject, whenever individuals look for medical products they need a good expert website and also the. org expansion offers which within people’s thoughts.

OKAY, and so i strayed a little in the subject, obtaining to this right now I'd purchase a good EMD if you may on the non-EMD. This particular can help you within the online game associated with SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION. We talk through encounter. And when the actual EMD isn't obtainable attempt including the notice and find out in the event that which site can be obtained.
Also for building your residual income starts here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back