IT.COM

poll Do you trust or distrust these drop catching or backordering services? Vote and comments welcome.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Say whether you trust or distrust these dropcatching services.

• 1st (tie)

I distrust NameJet

votes
    50.0%
  • 1st (tie)

I distrust Network Solutions

votes
    50.0%
  • 2nd (tie)

I trust DropCatch

votes
    45.0%
  • 2nd (tie)

I distrust Pheenix

votes
    45.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

I distrust GoDaddy

votes
    35.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

I trust Dynadot

votes
    35.0%
  • 3rd (tie)

I trust Epik

votes
    35.0%
  • 4th

I distrust SnapNames

votes
    30.0%
  • 5th

I distrust DropCatch

votes
    25.0%
  • 6th

I trust SnapNames

votes
    20.0%
  • 7th

I distrust Epik

votes
    15.0%
  • 8th

I trust GoDaddy

votes
    10.0%
  • 9th

I distrust Dynadot

vote
    5.0%
  • 10th (tie)

I trust NameJet

votes
    0.0%
  • 10th (tie)

I trust Network Solutions

votes
    0.0%
  • 10th (tie)

I trust Pheenix

votes
    0.0%

• 80 votes
  • Ended 4 years ago
  • Final results
Do you think there is enough transparency when it comes to domain drop catching services? Do you believe these platforms are fair or are operating in a fair and honest manner? Vote on whether you trust or distrust the services listed. If there is any company not listed that you would like to recommend or comment on, feel free.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Distrust Pheenix, should cease the operation.
Still contemplating if opening ticket to withdraw my $29. many horror stories not provide auths, ownerMIA @gorilla_bob This company needs to be investigated.

Distrust Network solutions for being Net Sol.
This company is only topped by Pheenix in shadiness and lack of transparency business.

Distrust NameJet bad support, late deliveries.
Not to the extent of the top 2, i’d still use NJ; also, their merger with Snap boost credibility and might breath life into them, but theyre OK

Last DropCatch,after BestApp.com auctioned 4 times. DCneeds award #2 bidder -best odds, yet distrust not award #2, if #1 is unable to pay.
Trust DropCatch to get drop out of all of them and distrust DropCatch public auction system. lot expire names, i feel, end questionably high

Last edited:
•••
@infosec3 You may want to add Park.io to this poll.

•••
There can be arguments made about any/all of these dropcatchers.

I won a pre-release domain at DropCatch recently. It wasn't even a registered at a TurnCommerce Registrar. Probably meaning it was not even owned by them. It was also not even a dropping domain. Which I never even bothered to check at the time, until it never appeared in my NameBright account. Estibot Value $2100. They made some bumbling excuses. I expected they would come back and say it was just a mistake. But no. The domain ended up at NameBright after just under a month. And it was placed in my account with an expiry date of June 1 2021 (the actual expiry date plus 1 year). So I gained 1/4yr free of charge :) How could that all happen without them actually buying the domain from the real registrant and them honoring their pre-release sale to me. This only cemented my belief that the only one I trust would be DropCatch.

I like very much GoDaddy's policy of when the winner reneges, they roll back the bidding to the point where the 2nd place bidder wins the domain as if the winner was never in the auction. I think all auctions SHOULD be like that. But do I trust them. Nope.

Last edited:
•••
I like very much GoDaddy's policy of when the winner reneges, they roll back the bidding to the point where the 2nd place bidder wins the domain as if the winner was never in the auction. I think all auctions SHOULD be like that.

It's a two-edged sword.

As long as the 2nd bidder is legit, I find it very very fair.

But we all know GD auctions can be manipulated this way, and for this reason, I believe Dropcatch's policy of re-auctioning the name is better.

As long as the system can be gamed, there will always be people who will use that loophole. IMO

•••
No option on alot of these yet as I have not used them, or at least have not won a name though them.

For registrar back orders they have a low win rate as DropCatch and NameJet/SnapNames wins most drops. However because I use Epik for all my domains and because their Namepros pricing makes mack orders at reg fee and it gets refunded if they don;t get it I am starting to throw in backorders through them for names I really want. But generally don;t both with a registrar.

Dropcatch is fine, they get alot though I am not a fan of the public auctions, I think i f you didn;t back order you shouldn't get to be in the auction. Otherwise I am sure there are those who don;t actually research and select names but instead go for names with alot of action in the public auction further driving up the price on the good names.

I started looking into NameJet, haven't won anything yet. It did take awhile to hear back from them after I submitted the form to become a "verified bidder" and remove the limitations.

•••
Dropcatch is fine, they get alot though I am not a fan of the public auctions, I think i f you didn;t back order you shouldn't get to be in the auction. Otherwise I am sure there are those who don;t actually research and select names but instead go for names with alot of action in the public auction further driving up the price on the good names.

I started looking into NameJet, haven't won anything yet. It did take awhile to hear back from them after I submitted the form to become a "verified bidder" and remove the limitations.

Even though Dropcatch auctions are public, I’d argue that one may have better chances to win a name at good price at Dropcatch versus NameJet. Of course, there are some exceptions, but here is why I think so:

1) Front running at NameJet can drive the price up higher than public auction.

2) Dropcatch makes it harder for others to bid on mobile (no mobile app, and responsive design is shit).

3) All auctions at Dropcatch end at the same time. Try to bid on 5-7 auctions simultaneously. It’s easy to miss something.

Of course, it’s not black and white, and depends on the names you pursue.

I also like that once I win the name at Dropcatch, in less than an hour it’s in my NameBright account. Compare this to NameJet :xf.confused:

Last edited:
•••
There can be arguments made about any/all of these dropcatchers.

I like very much GoDaddy's policy of when the winner reneges, they roll back the bidding to the point where the 2nd place bidder wins the domain as if the winner was never in the auction. I think all auctions SHOULD be like that. But do I trust them. Nope.

Is that really true that if the winning bidder at GD fails to pay then the domain goes to the second runner up? It's a good idea but I hope that the runner up can rightfully refuse though. Because it could be the case that the runner up puts funds toward another domain/venture after losing and is no longer interested.

Also there have been cases where I truly did not want to win the GD auction for a name but only placed a bid because I wanted to see what the domain would end up going for. I wish that GD will allow you to see the winning bid on domains watched not just domains you bid on.

•••
It's a good idea but I hope that the runner up can rightfully refuse though.
Yes, you can refuse, and next bidder will have an opportunity to buy it.

Last edited:
•••
Is that really true that if the winning bidder at GD fails to pay then the domain goes to the second runner up? It's a good idea but I hope that the runner up can rightfully refuse though. Because it could be the case that the runner up puts funds toward another domain/venture after losing and is no longer interested.

Also there have been cases where I truly did not want to win the GD auction for a name but only placed a bid because I wanted to see what the domain would end up going for. I wish that GD will allow you to see the winning bid on domains watched not just domains you bid on.

Thiis was the case with Userlist.com

Winner defaulted $33.5K, #2 Daniel Vassallo had option buy $24,990; He upgraded from .io! 2 months before, asked 100K,then let it expire!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back