IT.COM

discuss Do You Run Your Own Domain Portfolio Website?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
If so -

Is it working for you?
What are the benefits?
Did you DIY?

If not,

Why?

Interested to know your thoughts....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
It would be interesting to see his full list.
Sorry @stub , couldn't complete the list. I was doing some other side stuff while editing. 30 minutes elapsed and was rightly booted out.
Next time, perhaps.

•••
Would you recommend also adding the option of say Afternic (noting: reputable + fast transfer option) and/or DAN (noting: reputable + great for payment installments/rent-to-own option) on your website's domain specific landers? I imagine it can't hurt, but just gives the potential buyer more choices (which may confuse/deter them?).
You can add the options in a smart way.
What is your domain landing page bounce (abandonment) rate?

Last edited:
•••
Oh you're so right. We should all just quit right now :xf.grin:. The doom and gloom of developing one's own site, the horrible good feeling it gives us, the sheer bewilderment that we can keep 25% more of the money the buyer pays, the depressing feeling of sharing the work one has done with others, the total feelings... of being back in the Y2K.:xf.eek::xf.confused:O_o:xf.rolleyes:

...doom ...depression ...thunder clouds... etc...

If you are cheapskate you will always be a cheapskate!
In order to make money, you have to spend money.
Think about it.
You cry about 25%, id say afternic is worth every penny of that 25%

•••
I always make the buyer pay this 25% at Afternic, over and above my asking price on my own website. From my experience, the buyer chooses to buy from Afternic rather than from my website, most of the time :)
Hi @stub, I’m interested to know – is it just that you do a much higher % of sales through Afternic, or do you actually know that customers have come to your own website then chosen to buy through Afternic afterward? {I assume you'd know this if you have links giving them either option.} If the latter, what sort of value range domains are they doing that for (choosing to pay an extra 25%)?... Thanks

•••
The interesting thing to note from all this though, is that a marketplace like Afternic proves valuable either way, whether a buyer purchases there for trust reasons or simply because that was where they found the domain. It's my belief that a reasonable amount buy there for the latter reason but regardless it shows the benefit of using such a sales platform.

However, it's not my choice (normally) to use an outside company like Afternic for trust reasons. I think it's price gouging rates of commissions, IMHO. I always add the 25% or more to all my priced domains at Afternic. Because it's the choice of the buyer to use them. I try to keep my prices down with the addon cost just being the Escrow.com fee. Which is affordable for the buyer. Not another 25%.

•••
I posted a similar thread a few months ago, whether to build my own website, depending on whether the buyer wants to buy or the seller wants to sell

•••
I think it all goes down to marketing but yeah there are also many people who'd just prefer established markets like GoDaddy or Sedo.
Yes, and it’s good too in a way, for both buyers and sellers.

•••
Actually I'm wondering whether Afternic+dls fast transfer is much better than Sedo+MlsPremium fast transfer. if so, why.
Big problem with Sedo recently, maybe always. is that actual buyers don't bid, instead some flippers do, and I wonder whether they come from other marketplaces like domainagents, afternic, ..some of them are.
Flippers don't spend any money on domains, they try to connect buyers and sellers, and they "buy" domains for a very low price, but if they can't get money from actual buyers, they don't pay, and nothing can't be done about it, because Sedo doesn't give their IP or email.

My top sale in life happened this way: Domain was parked at my own website, and I received a 5 figure offer at Sedo. I wonder, if domain was parked at Sedo, would I still get the same offer, or would I only see 1 percent of it.

•••
Just the opposite for me, many price requests, but not many offers or sales at Afternic; some offers, many of them lowball, at Sedo and some sales, but half of them don't get paid. In this case this may mean: Godaddy gets an inquiry and make an offer at Sedo to secure a domain, and then before paying, try to secure the money at the other end, and if they can't they just don't pay. Sedo should test this by making 1K offer at afternic, and see if it translates to 100 offer at their marketplace.

Endusers are guilty in all this. They block fair negotiation by not contacting domain owners directly, or responding to outbound emails.
Those who contact are domainers already, and don't pay much.

•••
I tried to develop my own site (a couple of times), but in the end I just didn't have enough time to dedicate to it because of my day job. So I've used one of the ready-made sites to list my names.
may I ask , as a "newbie (..YUCK!) ", which of the ready made sites you find to easier and more friendly for beginners?

•••
How can I find out the owner of a specific url if all information I’ve been presented is redacted?

•••
Yep I developed Nameed, I have a few sales through it.

There's no feelling like being independent on your own business.
And as someone else said, it does force me to be more organized.

It showed your connection is not private error

•••
Do You Run Your Own Domain Portfolio Website?
yes
BrandCollectors.com

•••
•••
This site can’t be reached
cooldomainideas.weebly.com took too long to respond.
Weird its loading up on my phone and desktop just fine.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back